Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089549 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6735 on: April 02, 2013, 07:00:01 pm »

I get most of my infantry kills via my turret gunner, who is usually a buddy of mine and is a good shot. When we're hunting infantry I put one of the machineguns up top. I don't usually use the AI rounds for the main gun, I prefer the focused anti-armor rounds.

Depending on the situation we swap the top turret out for AV or AA.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: April 02, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »

In my mind, lightnings are for killing infantry and the specialty tanks for tank warfare. Lightnings are fast (meaning they can dodge most rockets), and default with a multi-fire HE weapon. When I use a lightning I tend to just tear through infantry.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:19 pm »

I recently discovered the magic of running infantry over with my reaver.

Also lightning is the best tank in the game imo. I meet a lot of tankers on the field who don't take the necessary care with their aim, and since the lightning is so fast and has a small profile you can regularly beat heavy tanks with it. If the terrain is level enough or you're a crack shot you can fire at full throttle, otherwise the name of the game is shoot and scoot.

I meet a LOT of tankers who don't try to protect the rear of their tank, I'll drive my lightning behind, he'll flip his turret around and SIT STILL. mmmm certs.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: April 03, 2013, 01:50:15 am »

I recently discovered the magic of running infantry over with my reaver.
Welcome to the real use of Planetside aircraft.

Trying this out again after a long break.

Skyguards...skyguards everywhere. Flying seems pretty darn useless at this point, add to that the only liberators still in the sky are piloted by diehard flyers and are no picnic to take out. Inbetween flak and lockons every battlefield seems like a no fly zone, feels like my bird is now a mere vulture looming overhead to pick off the stragglers when the battle is won.

Also engineer AV turret hasn't been nerfed, lulz. Take a vanguard to the field get shot down before I can get three long range shots in. Manage to slip out in time and deploy a free of charge infinite ammo AV turret, get 3 tank kills and 2 phalanx turrets. Seems balanced.  ???

It's looking like armor is next on the chopping block after air, in the short time I played again I've seen time and time again infantry charging towards enemy armor. Infantry...charging towards armor, and armor using hit and run (and repair) against foot soldiers. Wut. I get that infantry should destroy armor in urban scenarios or hilly landscapes but there are so many devestating long range weapons now it's insane.

Maybe I should just try playing the game as infantry exclusive and treat vehicles as fancy armed transports, seems to be the general direction the game has gone. Hail to the heavy assault overlords?
I always fly up at at least 500m where most tanks won't even look, let alone be able to shoot you. Sometimes the render distance is being awful and you can't see anything on the ground, but you can kinda jink down until you do, then go all death from above on its ass and fly away low and fast. Even if you don't kill anything, it feels awesome.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:43 am »

I wish they would just cave in and up the TTK on everything in the game, there's simply no room for tweaking balance when the only tweaking you can do is changing a gun from a one hit kill to a two hit kill or vice versa.
Exactly my thought. Planetside1 had longer TTK (even though I never played it myself) and it worked out fine. I don't understand why so many games insist on a short TTK, I can only imagine it is to appease the 'me me me now now now quick quick quick' generation of gamers.

Engineer AV turret is fly-by-wire, not lock on, so its pretty easy to shake if you can break LOS to the shooter.
Of course I know it's wire guided, I have used the thing extensively myself. It is an immensly powerful long range weapon, able to destroy armor out in the open. It's not a close quarters weapon, leave that to a heavy with a dumbfire launcher.

Armor isn't an anti-infantry weapon. Infantry are in fact the biggest weakness of armor, because armor is slow and less maneuverable. A guy with a jetpack can fly over you where your turret can't traverse. Armor is intended to fight armor, not own everything in the battlespace.
If armor is meant to counter armor, and infantry counters infantry, armor and air...what is the point to taking anything other then infantry? Armor can't cap point so if the intended role is to take out other armor it is useless in the grand scheme of the battle. It should be a combined arms game, infantry should not be all end all.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:27 am »

Well, as some other people already said: lightnings are AI and AA and MBTs are AV. The main function of MBTs towards the end of the battle, especially in larger bases and battles, is to keep the enemies locked down in the base so that they can't go recapture points and to keep out attempts to retake the base from bases that border the base they are dealing with. They also serve as protectors for other tanks, infantry and air. Infantry has the main advantage of being small and having an easy time hiding. Also, they usually are the ones that you'll rely on to capture bases and they are the easiest to play. (with armor inbetween and air being the hardest). Air has the advantage of being air, and generally hard to hit without specialized weapons.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6741 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:38 am »

I just recently got into trying the MBT; I can't for the life of me kill an infantry with the anti-infantry rounds. The magrider's only got one shot, and every time I fire it at someone they survive.

If you are trying to kill infantry with the magrider just use the default gun with NV scope. Direct hits are one shot kills and near misses usually drop them to half health or less. The anti-infantry gun is more for suppressing groups of infantry rather than killing them outright.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:47 am »

I just recently got into trying the MBT; I can't for the life of me kill an infantry with the anti-infantry rounds. The magrider's only got one shot, and every time I fire it at someone they survive.

If you are trying to kill infantry with the magrider just use the default gun with NV scope. Direct hits are one shot kills and near misses usually drop them to half health or less. The anti-infantry gun is more for suppressing groups of infantry rather than killing them outright. run them over.

FTFY

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: April 03, 2013, 10:05:28 am »

They don't call it the Magmower for nothing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:50 am »

I killed a tank once on a 1-on-1 tank fight by leaving my tank before it explodes and killed it with 2 shots of a grenade launcher thing. It just sat there aiming its cannon at me while I reload. It could have just run me over but nope.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: April 03, 2013, 10:23:00 am »

So I picked this up recently, mostly because it has this huge thread at B12, and it's great fun, even if I can't hit shit. Anyway, I'm about to collect my first 100 cert, and I'm wondering what to do with it. I'm NC, and I mostly like playing light assault. I was thinking of getting one of those 100 cert guns. Is that a good idea, or should I be getting something else?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:32 am »

What can you buy with 100 certs...? eesh.

Well the best-spent cheap cert(IMO) is the AMS for the Sunderer. It allows you to deploy your sunderer so people can spawn at it. You get experience every time someone does. It's only 50 certs, and it is probably THE cert responsible for turning the tide of 95% of infantry battles. You'll want to try to park close enough to the action that people spawn, but far enough to discourage tank-mine wielding bum-rushers(Eg: ME!)

If you're really enjoying light assault, you could save up for C4. You toss one with right-click(and they'll stick to vehicles too) and set it off with left click. Add in your jump-jets and you'll be dropping c4 on people's heads and raking in the points. I think the first level is 200 certs though.

For 100 certs, you can get the air superiority gun for the ESF, but if you don't plan on lots of practice time and DF-style fun every time you pull one, piloting may not be your thing. I dumped a ton of money into mine just to find out I suck at it. 600 hours later(probably close to 90 or so in a scythe) and I'm just starting to get decent with them :/

EDIT:
DJ, what server/faction? :3
Errbody else: Do we still have an active players list or something? I know we had that one from beta sign-ups but is there anything more current?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:36:26 am by Tylui »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6747 on: April 03, 2013, 10:38:19 am »

So I picked this up recently, mostly because it has this huge thread at B12, and it's great fun, even if I can't hit shit. Anyway, I'm about to collect my first 100 cert, and I'm wondering what to do with it. I'm NC, and I mostly like playing light assault. I was thinking of getting one of those 100 cert guns. Is that a good idea, or should I be getting something else?

Spend your first 20-30 certs getting all the 1 point certs on the classes and vehicles(and remember to equip them on the classes and vehicle weapons). Don't worry about saving up for another gun until you have picked up the basic 10 and 30 cost certs for each class ability. Grab a scope on your gun for each class, 2x or 3.4x. The carbine is a good one to get the scope for first as it is used by engineer and light assault.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: April 03, 2013, 10:43:51 am »

There's a decent Youtube video or two that discusses good things to buy for LA with your starter certs.  I agree with getting the really cheap basic certs (a couple levels of flak armor, a couple recharges for your jump jets, a scope), then the first big thing to save up for is a brick of C4.  The Mercenary's good enough to run with for now before you start dropping big bucks on a fancy new weapon.

Speaking of Mercenaries, I just grabbed the Mercenary Bundle.  The Piston auto-shotty, Cyclone SMG, and the alternate pistol for only 900 SC.  Now I see why everyone complains about shotguns, and that's not even the pump one!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:36 am »

Damn, I'm gonna grab that bundle too. I really want a shotgun and the SMG.

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 826