Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089547 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7905 on: July 03, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »

Doesn't seem like the lockons are getting their anti armor capabilities reduced, so I wouldn't start calling them useless. Except for the dedicated g2a lockons, I suppose those are hit hardest but then I've never seen anyone use those as is.
Lockons to air will be just fine against liberators, they're slow and large should be no problem to maintain lock on them. And galaxies but again, hardly anyone uses those.
I bought the G2A dedicated lockon, so far I'm doing great at (at least) scaring away aircraft, if not killing about a quarter of them.

It would be nice if flares would be tweaked to lowering the "tolerance" to keep guiding a rocket, so you would have to keep the crosshairs right on the aircraft for the rocket to hit. However, rocket speed would have to be greatly increased, as of now it takes a long time for them to even get to their destination.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: July 03, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

Doesn't seem like the lockons are getting their anti armor capabilities reduced, so I wouldn't start calling them useless. Except for the dedicated g2a lockons, I suppose those are hit hardest but then I've never seen anyone use those as is.
Lockons to air will be just fine against liberators, they're slow and large should be no problem to maintain lock on them. And galaxies but again, hardly anyone uses those.
You get it wrong. The entire point of lockon launchers was to harass ESFs so they would stay away for 5 seconds. Nobody ever fired one of them at liberators or galaxies. I don't see why their lifespan has to be reduced either. They almost never hit anyway.

And I use the defaut faction-specific lockon launchers. I once bought an AA bundle but it came with the AT launcher, so to correct their mistake the devs gave all the people who bought the bundle both :D

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: July 03, 2013, 12:12:25 pm »

So Goon on Mattherson the last few times I've logged on has been dead more or less.

I think there is a big war going on in EVE so I'm willing to cut them some slack, but today I logged in and saw a Goon platoon located in VR training and made up of not a single Goon outfit member.

I'm wondering how that war in EVE is going and how long it will last, because there is nary a legit Goon in sight, and as you know Goons are best in swarms, which is the main reason I was willing to join the PS2 outfit in the first place. You know, because they were like the one major force on the NC side and I thought I'd put my 2 cents in, instead of leading 6 dudes or so.

So anyways, if any Goonfriends in the know who also like Dorfs would let me know what the heck is up with the Goon outfit lately I'd appreciate it, because it kind of pisses me off that I don't know what's going on yet because I know Goons are good at the sort thing where they make people mad on purpose. That's cool and all but I'd like to think I was a pretty cool and chill dude who tried to help the Goons, so if it's not because of EVE and the SA Goons up and left for GOKU or something ridiculous like that I'd be pissed and leave the outfit like a whiny baby or what not.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: July 03, 2013, 12:54:59 pm »

Not a Goon, but didn't GOON split down the middle and half of them join VS as GOKU or something? Some sort of big drama with their outfit leader. I don't know.

And they were definitely around in force yesterday NC side. NC won an alert (!!) and a bunch of people in chat were saying that the victory was "courtesy of GOON." I took that at face value since I saw dozens of GOON tags around me during the fighting. Though, to be fair, VS and TR were farming each other on Indar and didn't send more than a platoon or so to capture the alert continent.

I like playing my TR alt a lot more with the TE drama gone.

Looking forward to getting killed by fireworks! Wish they weren't so expensive ... 700 SC/1000 certs is what I was hearing on Reddit. Maybe we'll get a 3X SC day to compensate. *fingers crossed*

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »

And I use the defaut faction-specific lockon launchers. I once bought an AA bundle but it came with the AT launcher, so to correct their mistake the devs gave all the people who bought the bundle both :D

There is no faction specific lockon launcher? They have different names but I'm sure they are the same regarding stats. Or maybe some minor differences idk.
You're not firing them at liberators because liberators have been rubbish since the AA buffs, they are the primary air to ground platform so if you're not shooting back with lockons you've got a problem.

You get it wrong. The entire point of lockon launchers was to harass ESFs so they would stay away for 5 seconds.
Add in the flare cooldown time wichever rank it is  the pilot is using, and the time it takes to fly back. Longer then 5 seconds that's for sure.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:59:38 pm by Jelle »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: July 03, 2013, 02:40:58 pm »

Not a Goon, but didn't GOON split down the middle and half of them join VS as GOKU or something? Some sort of big drama with their outfit leader. I don't know.

And they were definitely around in force yesterday NC side. NC won an alert (!!) and a bunch of people in chat were saying that the victory was "courtesy of GOON." I took that at face value since I saw dozens of GOON tags around me during the fighting. Though, to be fair, VS and TR were farming each other on Indar and didn't send more than a platoon or so to capture the alert continent.

I like playing my TR alt a lot more with the TE drama gone.

Looking forward to getting killed by fireworks! Wish they weren't so expensive ... 700 SC/1000 certs is what I was hearing on Reddit. Maybe we'll get a 3X SC day to compensate. *fingers crossed*

Neat, good to hear, thanks Seabee. My sporadic logins must have been on very bad days or times for Goonswarming. Glad to hear NC won an alert, that would have been nice to see.

EDIT: Also that Goku thing was a fair while ago. I meant Admiral Snuggle's Goons weren't on the admitably few sample times I was on and I guess I was just worried about those boys.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:44:15 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: July 04, 2013, 02:42:21 am »

I played for three hours tonight and got 400 certs. Double XP weekend best weekend.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: July 04, 2013, 04:13:12 am »

I played for three hours tonight and got 400 certs. Double XP weekend best weekend.

It's more like a double XP five days, because this is the earliest I've ever seen the weekend start.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: July 04, 2013, 05:01:24 am »

There is no faction specific lockon launcher? They have different names but I'm sure they are the same regarding stats. Or maybe some minor differences idk.
You're not firing them at liberators because liberators have been rubbish since the AA buffs, they are the primary air to ground platform so if you're not shooting back with lockons you've got a problem.

You get it wrong. The entire point of lockon launchers was to harass ESFs so they would stay away for 5 seconds.
Add in the flare cooldown time wichever rank it is  the pilot is using, and the time it takes to fly back. Longer then 5 seconds that's for sure.
I know they don't have differences. I really just ment "not that NS-whatever locks-onto-everything". Also, why would you lock onto a liberator if it only does scratch damage anyway?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:11 am »

My understanding is that they're upping the velocity on lock-on missiles a ton, so you'll be rewarded for coordinated fast lock-ons and launches.  We'll see when it goes live, but my guess is that g2a launchers will be more effective against hovering ESF, even ones with flares.  Depends entirely on how fast the projectile is.  If it's only 100 m/s more or so, it'll probably be better for me to use a Lancer against air.

It's not scratch damage, it's just not enough for a solo player to matter.  If you have friendly esf or flak, it'll help a bit and net you an assist.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: July 04, 2013, 06:24:15 am »

So I found this and figured it would be worth a shot trying to play this game again.
Oh cool, 8 gigs of updates.
Alright, guess I get to play Mount and Blade for like, 20 hours this week.

From that: apparently it hates AMD CPUs and AMD cards.

Brill. AMD cards run PS2 worse than an INTEL HD 3000.

Hopefully that gets fixed, I dunno, THIS YEAR?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: July 04, 2013, 06:30:16 am »

What do you guys think about A2A missiles? I'm nearing 500 cert so I'm not sure whether to buy them or save up for A2G. I'm guessing A2G would earn me a lot more certs, but A2A would be handy for chasing away other ESFs which are always stopping me from properly focusing on ground targets. I want to have both eventually, but I'm not so sure A2A would be all that good for earning certs for A2G.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: July 04, 2013, 06:41:54 am »

Hold off on them until the ESF update, then trial them.  For esf, you won't be able to Fire-and-Forget, so you can't fire your nose-gun while your missile is traveling. 

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: July 04, 2013, 06:51:34 am »

Def save up your certs for when the new secondaries go live, they are even adding a new set of a2a missles so it'll be worth comparing at least. My opinion on them is they're cheesy weapons and a crutch for bad pilots, but they're there to be used so if feel you can use them why not.

have you guys seen the vanguard's new turret? Looks sweet as heck.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also been trying to get some dogfighting skill again, got to get good if flying will be worth it once more.
Only one problem, I've been using the dogfighting airframe since forever, but more and more I realize you're not going to win any challenging fights without reverse manouvers. Problem is the reaver's air brake sucks so you really need the airbrake improvement from the hover airframe. I could do without the vertical thrust improvement as the reaver already boasts great vthrust. So now I have to get used to flying with close to insignifcant turn speed, something I heavily relied on to adjust my aim in dogfights. Feels like learning to fly all over again.  :(
Also, I found myself compensating for nose gun offset that doesn't exist anymore. Took me a while to figure out why I kept shooting over my targets, I actually need to aim the reticule now.  :P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:00:16 am by Jelle »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: July 04, 2013, 07:10:44 am »

Best thing they could do to fix g2a and a2a is make flare and lock-on interaction more complex.  Right now, it's just: lock-on, fire missile, ESF flares if they have them, try to lock them again after their invulnerable period is over if they haven't flown out of range to wait for flares to recharge.  Neither side does anything but press a button and hope the other isn't in a position to counter them.  What if, gasp, they worked like real flares and were supposed to distract the missile from the engine heat?  So, when the pilot pops flares, you suddenly have a myriad of lockable signatures, as well as the ESF.  En route missiles get confused and always miss, but the launcher can attempt to pick out the real target and fire.  The pilot can make this harder by dropping behind the falling flares, hiding his engines, and general evasiveness.  You've got a higher skill ceiling on both ends.  Unfortunately, this would require SOE to bring their air model into something resembling realism, which appears to be a mortal sin.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 826