Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089301 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8070 on: July 11, 2013, 04:33:01 pm »

I took out a scythe the other day in a vanguard. With its main cannon, that is. I guess skilled players can probably manage that frequently, particularly if they're experienced with the drop, but I'm not that good of a player so it was pretty lulz-worthy. I then moved on to a biolab and sniped two maxes that were trying to flank around the outside on the upper level (between helipads). Very surprised that I managed that since I had no zoom, just dumbfiring because I saw things moving around up there. Unfortunately, they also had a medic that I didn't manage to kill.

Still, that was pretty much the high point of my week. Just the idea of getting blind sided by a tank shell out of nowhere. Not once, but twice.

Compensating for bullet drop in general is something I have a hard time with, because so few other FPS games even bother with it (given distances aren't usually so far as to make it necessary). Leading targets too; I have trouble hitting things with the sunderer's turrets, for example.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:37:04 pm by Niveras »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8071 on: July 11, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »

I took out a scythe the other day in a vanguard. With its main cannon, that is. I guess skilled players can probably manage that frequently, particularly if they're experienced with the drop, but I'm not that good of a player so it was pretty lulz-worthy. I then moved on to a biolab and sniped two maxes that were trying to flank around the outside on the upper level (between helipads). Very surprised that I managed that since I had no zoom, just dumbfiring because I saw things moving around up there. Unfortunately, they also had a medic that I didn't manage to kill.

Still, that was pretty much the high point of my week. Just the idea of getting blind sided by a tank shell out of nowhere. Not once, but twice.
It takes an unskilled pilot more than a skilled tank gunner. If the scythe was flying predictable enough to be hit with a tank cannon, I mean.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: July 11, 2013, 04:58:50 pm »

I've killed several esf's with my flash's fury (pre nerf) :P
And only counting those that were flying :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: July 11, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

A couple of the hardcore tankers I roll with can hit Scythes often enough that it's not just luck any more. Always fun to see when you are gunning for them.

I decided to test what I said about the Piston tonight after the rest of my outfit went offline. Spent a few hours running around Esamir as a LA with the auto-shotty and C4, mostly doing low pop base defences. It was damned good fun.

I did manage to solo one MAX with just the shotgun. Took around 16 rounds, including a couple clear misses and a few partials but with maybe a headshot or two evening it out. Got a clearer clip into the back of a VS MAX at point blank, taking it from >90% to <10%. Then someone stole the kill.

I'll probably go back to mostly medic/SMG tomorrow, but I'll probably get the auraxium on the Piston in another four or five sessions like that.

Had an interesting duel against a Liberator as a Harasser gunner. Just using a basic Basilisk against a 2/2 Dalton lib. We could chase him off repeatedly, but neither of us could kill the other. Went on for a good five or six exchanges and repairs (with my getting plenty of air-to-ground bonus experience) before my driver managed to flip the Harasser. Fortunately without the Lib being anywhere near.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: July 11, 2013, 09:37:47 pm »

I see people with underbarrel grenade launchers but i can't seem to find on any of the weapons in VR
How do you get them?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »

Buy any weapon (carbine and assault rifle mostly) with an S designation (Gauss Compact S, for example).  Once you have it, it's a rail attachment option.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: July 11, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »

The UBGLs don't properly hit targets in the VR; the grenades pass right through the dummies. Normally when you shoot people direct hits are kills. Keep that in mind when you're looking at it in the VR.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: July 12, 2013, 08:22:39 am »

So just yesterday I found out you can hold shift to steady aim. I actually managed to score a couple of headshots before that 8) Anyway, now that I'm sniping properly I'm rolling in certs. I may not be of much use to my faction as an infiltrator, but I'll pay it off when I buy stuff for useful classes with all these sniping certs.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: July 12, 2013, 09:08:34 am »

Wish my frame rate was high enough to snipe smoothly.

Have they given any mention when they expect the AMD optimisations?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: July 12, 2013, 11:07:57 am »

Compensating for bullet drop in general is something I have a hard time with, because so few other FPS games even bother with it (given distances aren't usually so far as to make it necessary). Leading targets too; I have trouble hitting things with the sunderer's turrets, for example.

Are you using the vanguard's ap cannon? The velocity on that thing is mental, and it will take down esf in a single shot, liberators in three two. Destroying hovering esf has never been easier, plenty of occasions where I shot down two nearby esf in rapid succession using only 4 shells.
I just hate it when it happens to me!  :-X
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:50:35 pm by Jelle »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: July 12, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »

Well it happens because tanks have ludicrously high maximum gun elevation. That's what pisses me off. A tank should not be capable of engaging aircraft with its main cannon unless the aircraft is actually on the ground. It's one of the worst violations of common sense that this game commits.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: July 12, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »

Technically, tanks need to be able to shoot up hills while going down the neighboring hill.
So...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:24 pm »

So just yesterday I found out you can hold shift to steady aim. I actually managed to score a couple of headshots before that 8) Anyway, now that I'm sniping properly I'm rolling in certs. I may not be of much use to my faction as an infiltrator, but I'll pay it off when I buy stuff for useful classes with all these sniping certs.

Don't be afraid of being an active, productive member of the team just 'cause you have a sniper rifle. If you're not afraid of dying -- or your pistol -- then you can definitely help press an attack better than you might as a engineer with a carbine or something. The only infiltrator bastards are the ones that stand on the side of a hill and just mother their K/D along.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:15 pm »

Well no, common sense would be aircrafts being up in the sky, not hugging the ground sitting under 100 meters all the time. Game needs incentive for air to be well...in the air.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: July 12, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »

Are you using the vanguard's ap cannon? The velocity on that thing is mental, and it will take down esf in a single shot, liberators in three two. Destroying hovering esf has never been easier, plenty of occasions where I shot down two nearby esf in rapid succession using only 4 shells.
I just hate it when it happens to me!  :-X

Nope, just a stock tank because I suck too much to have built up much in the way of certs - and what I have collected so far, I've pretty much on superfluous things rather than useful upgrades likes better weapons and vehicle parts.

Like the guy suggested earlier, it was pretty much a case of a bad pilot. He was flying low chasing something, probably a liberator, and things just happened to line up in a way that he flew into my shell when I took a pot shot at him.

I will say that if aircraft mimiced real life, they'd pretty much rule the fight unless there were other aircraft around, or hard-countered by emplaced ground munitions (SAM/flak). Even helicopters can strike from kilometers away, let alone jets flying miles high using laser-guided precision ordnance. Some concessions have to be made for gameplay/fun.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:07:41 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 826