Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085018 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8295 on: October 21, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »

I think it was pre-nerf, but I nearly got shot out of the sky as a Galaxy by a Vulcan Harasser once.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: October 22, 2013, 12:59:35 am »

Those that think that the Lattice removes strategy are not actually using their mind when it comes to tactics...
1: If you can keep a Zerg distracted you can easily capture more territory around them, giving you the ability to stop any MBT being pulled from their front lines on that lattice...
2: Just cause its not connected via the Lattice doesn't mean that it isn't a choice for a direction of attack...
3: No one, even now, expects to be attacked from behind...

The props I love about the Lattice is that there is no more of this 1 man fucking over everything cause you can't catch him capping the territory behind you. At least now you can control that via having people prepped for cap on the next point, if you can hold off long enough for a point to capture for your faction while your foes are pressing back in, have someone on the next point. The moment the current flips, redeploy directly onto the next point. Your Foes will take a moment to realize that they can not recapture their lost territory which gives you at least a minute or two to have the next point capped and flipping...

Also, on the reverse. it is better to fall back to the territory behind you when its clear that the point is lost completely, set up defenses with MBT or simple knowledge of average places Sundies are placed and so forth, This can seriously delay the Zerg from pushing directly onto the next point, then sending someone deep to the last lost place can recapture the point and then result in a force trying to break a defense only to find they can't cap it...

Sure, there are some lines which leave you going WTF! (Esamir, FUCKING OCTAGON, its a chokepoint for the north west faction to attempt to reach the south east.) Mainly due to the fact that some chokepoints leave you unable to reach territories that you should be able to if not hard to reach...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: October 22, 2013, 01:30:23 am »

A combination of real life and other games distracted me from this for nearly a month now; I am planning to get back into it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:14 am »

I like the game better with the lattice system, before it was implemented I spent way too much time looking for enemies to shoot.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: October 22, 2013, 05:25:51 am »

I like the lattice, but the Hex system allows for tactical ghost/backhacking. I know it's annoying, but we actually managed to outmaneuver a far larger force by capping around them on Amerish recently. That felt good.

OMFG on schedule: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/omfg-phase-1-to-test.155029/

Is the Octagon the new Crown now btw? Except one that you can't leave?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8300 on: October 22, 2013, 05:44:42 am »

The stunted visibility is Planetside 2 makes the lack of bullet drop utterly useless. I've played both NC and VS and the bullet drop is not noticeable at all at any reasonable ranges.

The only time I ever notice bullet drop is when sniping. I've sniped people over obstacles before just by being at that exact sweet spot to get the bullet to curve over a boulder and get a headshot. I mean it was total dumb luck that it worked, but daaaamn if it didn't feel cool...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: October 23, 2013, 02:01:42 pm »

I don't see anything wrong with ground to air.
Mos of those missiles are easely outran by ESFs and you need more than a heavy can carry to down a Liberator or Galaxy so thay have plenty of time to get out unless you're there with 6 friends camping a hill.

As for performance... when i first installed the game it ran perfectly and only got worse from that point on.
Now i'm barely able to fly a ESF because the darn thing slows to like 14 frames per second at times.
I bought this PC less than half a year ago for petes sake!
Hell it even has a Nvidia card (the one officially supported)... maybe the game hates AMD processors?
Dude, have you tried deleting some of the files (such as planetside2.exe, or maybe some of the "big" data files) and redownloading? Helps quite a bit, since they get fragmented a lot. Or running a defragging program several times...

Octagon's easy to cap on Miller, usually. Since there's little lolpodspam. Dunno what your situation is.

Damn, I've gotten better at flying, but I still can't do much in the A2A role - once a mosquito is on my scythe, my health plinks down unless some friendly is in the area.
Any ideas for A2A when flying in a bomber-config? I've got the "rotary" aa cannon, photon pods, hover stability, and flares.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: October 23, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »

Well i consider myself ok-ish when it comes to AA (both ground and air).

As someone who invested in racer 3 and tomcats i usually try to fire a missile and finish off whoever i "painted" with the rotary.
If things look bad then i'll just AB away towards the nearest zerg or warpgate.
Since mossie is the fastest one around (outruns missiles when ABing) there is not much anyone can do unless they decide to chase it all the way to the warpgate and take potshots from far away... most won't bother.

Of course i assume there are better ways of going about the problem of having someone on your tail but that's my method.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:32 am »

Operation make faster game is bearing fruit! Since yesterday the first performance patch is available on the test server, so if the game and its performance still interests you, or you want to help test it's definatly worth checking out.

Alternatively if my opinion is enough to go on, I can honestly say in my experience the improvement in framerate is impressive. Just had an enjoyable (and fairly large) biolab fight with little to no fps issues and minimal stuttering. Can't wait for it to go live!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:15 am »

When is it planned to go live?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: October 24, 2013, 11:26:21 am »

They said end of the month is part 1.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: October 24, 2013, 11:41:06 am »

They also said

We will NOT put this patch live in a hurry. We want to smooth out any rough edges and get the stability BETTER than Live.

So take any date with a grain of salt.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22:36 pm »

I don't really have the time for this game any more, but hypothetically would make the time if the optimisation works. The lag was killing my outfit play even before inactivity got me kicked. Hitting 0FPS patches while gunning for a high level tanker is frowned upon.

I'm not expecting miracles from my laptop, but being able to be a satisfied dirty casual again would be nice.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: October 24, 2013, 02:10:20 pm »

I didn't notice a huge fps increase when I was on test last night but I may have been running with more intense graphics settings. I was GPU bound more often than not, though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: October 24, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »

I should check some time and see if this damned game will actually let me log into one of my characters. Still pissed that I ended up having to drop from a really great outfit because someone screwed the pooch and there weren't any fixes out there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 826