Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089142 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8430 on: November 02, 2013, 05:33:34 am »

Why? They work fine for driving off tanks.
A pair of AV mana turrets working together on voip or just spotting are a very effective deterrent.

Aside from mines and C4 your foot zerg has no cost or cooldown associated with it, whereas a tank does have a significant resource cost and does have a significant cool down.

If you're in a field battle and haven't brought your own armor you're doing it wrong.

-----
My only complaint about infantry AV is that C4 costs 700 certs per class.
That's 2800 certs to unlock 2 blocks of C4 for all classes.
Way to be a bunch of extortionate pricks SOE.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8431 on: November 02, 2013, 06:31:39 am »

Planetside 2 is about massive mixed unit battles. If you want tank battles, check out World of Tanks. It's also F2P.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: November 02, 2013, 06:58:43 am »

IMO dumbfire launchers would be just fine for breaking through tank lines if their damage wasn't so easily negated by repairing. If there was a certain cooldown on repairing after taking damage it would be a whole different game, and I think it'd be a better one.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: November 02, 2013, 07:14:49 am »

Maybe there could be a repair zone where repairs are enabled, but then it would be like people shooting out of spawns except tanks. I don't think that would be much of an improvement.

I will say though I agree that it's pretty easy to find cover to hide behind and repair up to full, and then there are harassers that can do that while moving as long as no one is shooting HE near them (splash can kill the backseater but doesn't damage the harasser itself)

I'd really like the Flash to be improved some. Not it's ability to get kills, but it's ability to travel safely at decent speed on non-flat terrain, preferably with stock hill climbing at least as good and hopefully better than the harasser is now. I wouldn't mind seeing them be able to muscle their way up steeper inclines than other vehicles. I'd also really like for it not to explode on landing after a particularly righteous turbo jump. Being able to now tilt the flash in midair means I usually land on the wheels or at least the rear (due to angle of launch) and then the wheels, but the flash just explodes anyways. It's kind of funny exploding the way it is now but it would be better if I could drive away from it. I usually only drive it to boost morale of a moderate to large friendly zerg with a death defying turbo jump up the nearest terrain with a sufficiently steep angle. The flash is so suicide prone that I'll just redeploy, squad deploy or wait for a sundie to go up instead of using a flash to go to a base <500m away even.

I really like turbo jumping when some random person gets on the backseat. I can't resist showing them what the flash can do. Too often though they lose faith in it and bail out to their death when they see the ground receding like they are on a spaceship taking off and to be honest I can't blame them sometimes because it's fairly likely to kill them anyways.

Turboing a hill and landing inside a small number of enemies is roadkill city though. I had that happen the other day where I careened spinning through a narrow passage between a rail and a spawn room and ran over a few TR on the way through, then got stuck for long enough to Affirmative and then absconded successfully with the surviving TR shooting at me.

I use Racer 3 and second to last turbo boost rank, perhaps without that setup the flash is less prone to explode upon landing though I'm not sure.

It would also be really cool if it kicked you off if you land upside down, perhaps smote your shields to empty and a little bit of health, and then either tumbled or slid a ways in relation to it's inertia at which point you could flip it and drive it again. I wouldn't mind if it took a bit of damage too, though catching on fire would be a bit much. It would make the flash a lot more enjoyable to drive if you didn't have to worry about two or three ways to lose your flash, easily capable of leaving you stranded or dead somewhere between your destination and the place you departed without having anything to do with an enemy realmer. That's what friendly fire is for.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:39:39 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: November 02, 2013, 09:02:26 am »

The charger frame on the flash actually makes it a FAR safer ride (as far as potholes go) but you have to sacrafice racer of scrapper for it.
Imo they should make it standard on all Flashes but hey it's not like i have anything to say on this matter.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:41:34 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: November 04, 2013, 01:17:06 pm »

So NC has won the past two alerts on Mattherson I've been on for. They both were on Amerish so that could have been why. The second time we were outnumbered by TR the whole time. We almost had a dominating victory. People kept saying 'Don't push too hard or you'll just piss off both VS and TR enough to concentrate on us.' That's what usually used to happen no matter we are winning, and it did, but this time not until the last half hour, so I guess we did good by pushing for as much as we could early on. Since it was Amerish I spent the first half hour flying around ghost flagging points, which seemed to help a bit.

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: November 04, 2013, 02:07:36 pm »

Haven't played for quite a while, did they ever do something about engineers mining deployed sunderers?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: November 04, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »

Nope, that's still a prefered form of douchebaggery.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: November 04, 2013, 02:12:52 pm »

You can buy a defensive item called a mine guard.

Even a fully pouched out engi can't mine a sundy (although level 1 pouch gives you a third brick of c4... Which will blow up a sundy - so not much point having mine guard beyond a few levels)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: November 04, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »

Nope, that's still a prefered form of douchebaggery.
It's my prefered form =P
There was so much bitching about it so I assumed they would have done something about it, but the mines weren't/aren't very useful for anything else.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: November 04, 2013, 02:39:12 pm »

I exploded three or four deployed sundies with mines today. I agree it's kind of lame though. It's just the only feasible way for me to do it by myself as I haven't certed into c4 for my heavy, and LA can carry only two C4.

That said I wouldn't mind if deployed sundies became largely resistant if not immune to tank mines. All it takes is one sneaky engy who's spent the what, 200 certs and 150 infantry resources to take out the spawn point of a whole platoon.

As for them not being useful otherwise, I get tank and sundie kills all the time with them functioning like mines should. Just find a chokepoint on the road leading to a base that the enemy can attack, lay them down and switch to another class. It's especially easy to get them on lattice continents. Also, now that they are larger and can be spotted it helps if you put them at a place where it's hard to see them, like a small incline on the road that would be a descending angle to the person who would drive over them just after cresting the incline.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:42:00 pm by Duuvian »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: November 04, 2013, 02:45:02 pm »

I still don't see the big deal about mining sundies.  It's harder than C4ing them, since if you're doing that, you can probably fly.  If you can't see the engy walk his ass all the way over to your sundy, mine it, switch to his gun, and shoot them before taking him out, maybe you should have defended it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »

It takes like 4 seconds to throw the mines and a sticky mine though, and forcing someone to guard the sundie during a five minute base cap not to mention a biofarm doesn't seem like something I'd want to try to do. The main issue is that it's one infantry guy who can do it; a LA with 2 C4 only puts the sundie into flames and needs to guard the thing for the ten or fifteen seconds or whatever it takes to explode eventually. Either that or have a friendly HA or aircraft finish it off which seems more reasonable to me than one guy able to instagib a deployed sunderer that would rather use something like stealth armor instead of mineguard.

Not to mention unlike C4 they persist past killing the engy, so if they have three seconds or whatever to throw the two tank mines you absolutely require someone around who has spent the pile of certs to get the engineer to max level where it can disarm them, or at that sundy will last at most the 30 seconds (if he doesn't tell teammates in /re or whatever) it takes for that same person to come back either as a cloaked infy or shielded HA for the half second it takes to splash the mines with a rocket.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:56:45 pm by Duuvian »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: November 04, 2013, 02:56:43 pm »

Of course the simple fact is that to effectively 'guard' anything in PS2 people would have to comprehend roles other than attack, attack, and attack.  The game actually does a damn good job of rewarding players for supporting from the rear, and that is a damn hard thing to reward, but almost everyone in a sector is rushing for the control point.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: November 04, 2013, 02:57:54 pm »

Like the ammo sundy being an XP fountain?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 826