Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089492 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8460 on: November 05, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »

As if it's possible to get out of the spawn room...
I have no idea why this is so hard for people. GTFO there and at least try. What are you afraid of? Dying? HAH.

They should make a time-based pain field in spawn rooms. Stay there for longer than a minute and you start taking damage.

walk out of shield -> instantly blown up by the 20 tanks and 100 infantry who are spawn camping every exit -> back to waiting on the spawn screen.

Yeah, no thanks.

Adding a pain field is not going to get more people to rambo out to their death, It's just going to make even less people defend, which will contribute even more to the stale, boring zerg merry-go-round empty cap metagame we have.

They need to drastically increase the reward for defending, especially defending while outnumbered - maybe a 5 minute 50% exp bonus for reinforcing an outnumbered base?  Or some sort of exp bonus every 5 minutes you hold out, that scales up depending on how outnumbered you are? Something to get people where the bodies are needed, instead of having them all sit in a huge pile capping an empty base.

Then make it harder to spawncamp somehow. Honestly, I don't know what they could do here without redesigning every base from scratch (which won't happen). Maybe if they sink the spawnrooms underground so you can't shoot out, but the enemy can't sit there and watch you to blast you the instant you run out? I don't know.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:20 pm »

I have no idea why this is so hard for people. GTFO there and at least try. What are you afraid of? Dying? HAH.

They should make a time-based pain field in spawn rooms. Stay there for longer than a minute and you start taking damage.

walk out of shield -> instantly blown up by the 20 tanks and 100 infantry who are spawn camping every exit -> back to waiting on the spawn screen.
Do you know how much space there is between the spawn room and the shields? Well neither do I exactly but it's more than enough to stand in.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: November 05, 2013, 05:53:16 pm »

Do you know how much space there is between the spawn room and the shields? Well neither do I exactly but it's more than enough to stand in.

What... what are you even talking about? I can't think of a single spawnroom that isn't easy to camp with sufficient numbers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: November 06, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »

Man, if they also added an XP bonus for defending against larger numbers (significantly larger numbers, 1.5x or more), then it would be awesome.
 - More people defend
 - My friends and I get more XP as we run out with infiltrators and take out unsuspecting campers.

Also of note, when taking bases, an engineer and infiltrator should team up. As in, engie drops ammo packs, while the infie shoots recon darts to see the cloaked infiltrators that run out of the spawn room.
Just a tip.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: November 06, 2013, 02:45:48 pm »

Ok so check this out. I play DDO and PS2, and both games started having login server errors. I'm working with Turbine and SOE tech support respectively on the issue. I can start the launcher, but when I try to log in I can't get to the character select screen. All my other games and applications work just fine.

I've been unable to play for 18 days now.

Win8 laptop, internet through a wireless router connected to cable landline.

I sent in my diagnostic files.

I've reinstalled. I've done the game file validation (through the launcher, not through steam). I've deleted my player config file. I've attempted to set my ports through the config.

I've deleted and re-added all of the executables through Windows Firewall several times, checking to make sure the outbound rules are configured correctly (One rule for TCP, one for UDP, all ports). I've make sure it's set up properly for my network type. I've reset it to default and done all of that again.

I've done a clean boot. I've tested with a disabled firewall and antivirus.

I've done a cold boot on my router, forwarded the ports on the router, and reset it to defaults.

I did a system restore to my earliest backup, which was around the time this started happening. No effect, though it broke my DDO installation and I needed to uninstall / reinstall again. I'm not sure I was able to recover from before whatever incident started all this, but I couldn't go back further.

Reinstalled Direct X in case that was an issue.

My accounts are still active and in good standing. I'm not testing while a server is down. I still have internet connectivity. Recent virus / spyware definition update, and scan shows clean.

Nothing has worked. Tech support has gone back around to suggesting things I've already told them I did.

The kicker is, my girlfriend has exactly the same laptop - we bought them at the same time and I wouldn't be surprised if the same workers assembled them on the same day. We're both on the same wireless network. Yet her machine can play DDO just fine.

Up until yesterday, when she got the dreaded "searching for logon server 20 of 20" error.

Now why in the goddamned world would her machine be able to connect, and mine not, for 18 days, and then suddenly hers can't connect either?

I really do suspect it's a firewall issue even though I've run out of buttons to push.

Also, I don't remember anything happening between me being able to connect and not. One night I'm playing PS2 and she convinces me to log in to do a dungeon with our guildies in DDO, then I log out for the night, and I don't do anything but surf some net a bit until a couple days later when I try to log into DDO and can't.

My last resort is reinstalling the OS, running the updates, downloading PS2 onto a fresh OS, and seeing if it works.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: November 07, 2013, 04:31:32 am »

Adding a pain field is not going to get more people to rambo out to their death, It's just going to make even less people defend, which will contribute even more to the stale, boring zerg merry-go-round empty cap metagame we have.
Sitting in a spawn room is not "defending". It's boring for both sides. Attackers can't move on and have to watch the room, and "defenders" are just taking potshots hoping to hit an attacker.

If I remember correctly:
In PS1 they have a system similar to what TolyK proposed: when capping (or defending), you get XP that is proportional to the difference in numbers between allies and enemies, and the time you spent in that area. So you get similar XP for a 100v100 and for a 5v5 fight, and defenders get similar XP (after an X period of time) as attackers. The actual "cap" did almost nothing. So if you arrived late to a cap, you'd get minimal XP, so you couldn't fly around cap-farming, you actually had to contribute. Zerging was also less beneficial, as having more people on your side would decrease your XP.

Also, if you fought somewhere and you left before the cap was done, you'd still get the XP from the time you fought there, so "waiting for a cap" would be minimised (you'd leave a skeleton crew to make sure the base was secure until capped, and they could refill it while the brunt of your force could move to the next).

This is from memory as I can't seem to find how it really works right now Google's results are too cluttered with PS2 :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: November 07, 2013, 07:03:14 pm »

That sounds great.

Currently they do something similar with how you get bonus XP for assisting with an alert (although I think everyone should get some XP for being in on the alert, though nothing close to the amount the winners get, but it would be nice to see maybe 1k xp per alert-relevant base your side holds +3k for winner, +1k for second place).

Although I really feel like you should get a bonus percentage, which means you actually have to get out there and do stuff.

I think the spawn room mechanic is just fine. Sometimes the enemy really is camping the spawn exits too closely to allow anyone to leave, and going out is just futile. By staying to fire out of the spawn room, you're keeping enemy forces tied up that could otherwise just zerg into the next base. You're also taking the potshots that occasionally kill one of them, depriving them of XP while they respawn and possibly resources from a vehicle they lost. They don't have to camp the spawn - they could leave! But if they all leave they might let some defenders slip through who could recap the base. Interesting choices with meaningful consequences all around. That's why I like it. Of course the attackers don't like being shot at by people who are behind one-way forcefields. But the attackers get to do that too when they cap the teleported bases going into a biolab. I really just think it's perfect. I hate to play games with spawn raping, it's just awful and no fun.

I will agree that too many people clog up the spawn room trying to get free kills. Those little doors really don't offer enough space for more than two guys crouched in the front and two standing behind them, yet you frequently see a dozen all standing and shooting each other, complaining because those 11 damn noobs won't get out of their way. And inevitably somebody nudges a little too close to the forcefield and gets blasted from outside.

What would be a nice tradeoff is if the defenders can, with a squad leader perk, use a console in the spawn room to vote for abandoning the base. It takes lots of resources to vote and you need like 3 votes to make it succeed. But if you do there's a 15-second countdown (which lets all the defenders despawn if they're fast) and then there's an orbital bombardment of the area and the spawn room screens go down.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:48 pm »

Has anyone else read that Tech Plant capture guide that was on the news scroll? So many fucking failures I can't even begin to describe it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8468 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:30 pm »

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if they've ever played their own game.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: November 08, 2013, 08:22:35 pm »

When I see something like a news post about camouflage I feel like it's Yahoo News - Auraxis Edition.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: November 08, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »

Right. let's change the topic.

Anyone now uses the stock ESF guns again?
Personally i started using the needler again because it can take down a Liberator in 2 clips and can do meaningfull damage from further away instead of having to expose myself to dalton shells and tail gunners. Also since the realod is longer it has better coherence with A2A missiles.

In short... it has less burst damage and is slightely worse against infantry (lower RoF and less spread) but at the same time its a terror for liberators and seems to be much more effective at damaging ground vehicles (less than 2 clips into the sidearmor kills a magrider).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: November 09, 2013, 12:30:14 am »

I prefer the Needler instead of the Banshee for getting shot down in thirty seconds. That way it takes a quarter of a second longer for the guy who shot me down to nano armor his way back to full health.

Last night I played for at least six hours and earned around 300 certs, all the while rocking a K/D of 2ish. At one point during an Amp station alert, there was a huge NC footzerg pushing north towards Kwahtee, and they were trying to cross a field southwest of the station. They were densely clumped up behind a tiny little bump in the field. I could have shot them but then I wouldn't have had the pleasure of running them over. I think I got ten roadkills or so before trees, not seeing where I was going, and lock-ons ruined my fun.

It occurs to me that with proximity scanner moving to the defense slot in a few days sometime soon, I can equip both scanner and smoke on a lightning, and have a potent infantry farming tool that can hopefully repeat the same situation, but with greater effectiveness.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:47:22 am by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: November 09, 2013, 07:11:28 am »

I prefer the needler over the rotary mostly because my aim sucks so most of my rounds with the rotary go no where

Edit: although I generally fly around with the banshee now, using it as a ghetto rocket launcher to blast apart clusters of inf and maxes is fun
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:13:57 am by zombat »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: November 09, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

Right. How good is the banshee actually is?
Since the splash damage is not working at all in VR i can't really tell how good it would be against infantry.
The terrible accuracy means it won't do really well against air and small clips won't do much to vehicles before you have to reload while the rotary with its massive RoF takes infantry out well enough while remaining mildly effective against vehicles (the clip is twice the size of a banshee while dealing similar damage).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: November 09, 2013, 01:14:30 pm »

I can't speak to the banshee, but the Scythe's anti-ground primary is surprisingly effective in the right circumstances. It's almost more effective than rocket pods against clusters of infantry, and the damage against vehicles is decent enough to switch to it while your rockets are reloading. Actually, my favorite mixed build for my Scythe is to pull the Light PPA as primary and missile pods as secondary. Granted, you won't kill/i[] vehicles with it, but you'll scare them off.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 826