Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084972 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8520 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:03 pm »

I hate backseat repair because it heavily discourages having a 3rd player in the rumble seat.
The third player is utterly irrelevant unless he's an NC heavy with a Phoenix. Even then, it doesn't seem that useful.

Backseat repair or not, I'm still locking my Harasser, because you're going to be a larger contribution to the team on the ground catching bullets then you are sitting back there trying to hit something.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: November 11, 2013, 01:53:42 pm »

I hate backseat repair because it heavily discourages having a 3rd player in the rumble seat.
The third player is utterly irrelevant unless he's an NC heavy with a Phoenix. Even then, it doesn't seem that useful.

Backseat repair or not, I'm still locking my Harasser, because you're going to be a larger contribution to the team on the ground catching bullets then you are sitting back there trying to hit something.

Burster MAX. I don't have any certs in my Harasser, but I tend to use it as a mobile AA platform in conjunction with AA MAXes when my Skyguard is on cooldown. Sometimes I drive them around while they shoot, other times I ferry them to good positions and drop ammo for them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: November 11, 2013, 02:55:52 pm »

Have they made any mention of when the performance patch will go live yet?

Tomorrow, apparently.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/399964788346068992
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: November 11, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »

IMO harasser is fine.

Is it strong? yes. But you have to remember:

It's a two man vehicle, the driver has no gun at all. Compare it's strength to two lightnings or even two MBTs and it looks a lot less OP. It requires teamwork, and anything that requires teamwork is good for the game, and deserves to be slightly more powerful then two 1-man vehicles.

You pretty much have to choose between AI and AV. For example, picking a fury lets you slaughter infantry, but it's TERRIBLE against vehicles. Picking the halberd lets you kill (bad) tank drivers, but you can only pick off infantry one by one and you have to get a direct hit to do it. There are no real good anti-everything weapons (unlike tank HEAT or rocketpods)

It's not that tough, especially after the latest composite armor nerf. You pretty much have to run away from anything but the most terrible of MBT drivers. Lightnings are a more even fight, the lightning will (generally) win if he's a decent shot. Racer chassis lightning is also fast enough to keep up with a harasser so it's hard to escape. Two lightnings (remember, two people in the harasseer) will absolutely destroy you.

Nobody uses IR smoke, because it takes the slot of turbo boost, so it's extremely vulnerable to lockons. The harasser simply does not have the health to absorb them like a MBT.

Repairing from the back while going full speed is HARD. You cannot "lock on" with the tool most of the time, and it's very easy to lose the sweetspot when you do. Slowing down to let the backseat repair defeats the purpose. Meanwhile, you either have to stop shooting to do it, or run 3 man harasser (so now compare it to 3 lightnings)

IMO the only change it needs is they need to decide if backseat repair is a bug or a feature. If It's a bug, just remove it so people stop complaining about it. If It's a feature, make it work 100% of the time then give the vehicle a little less health or something. It's stupid to leave it halfway like it is now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: November 11, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »

The problem with the harasser is that without any weapons at all it can casually mow down infantry by the dozens without fear of repercussion right under the guns of a half dozen tanks!!  It's just so damned jfast and survivable that it can be used for mindless cert farming during major engagements it takes minimal skill for a driver to dash in, run five guys over, dash out, repair any damage and repeat the said process ad infinitum.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:20:46 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:29 pm »

The problem with the harasser is that without any weapons at all it can casually mow down infantry by the dozens without fear of repercussion right under the guns of a half dozen tanks!!  It's just so damned jfast and survivable that it can be used for mindless cert farming during major engagements it takes minimal skill for a driver to dash in, run five guys over, dash out, repair any damage and repeat the said process ad infinitum.

Racer 3 lightning could do the exact same thing (86 kph vs 90 kph top speed), plus it's bulletproof and has more life and the driver can actually shoot the gun.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8526 on: November 11, 2013, 05:50:43 pm »

Lightning tanks can't turn as quickly, lose more velocity when they do turn, have less acceleration, and are a much larger target. The Harasser's guns are more versatile, whereas the Lightning's gun is basically shoehorned into whatever barrel you attach (AP, AI, or AA). Harassers also have the benefit of a dedicated driver, who can focus on driving and evading, without worrying about shooting stuff. Lightnings also lack the ability to carry a third person who can repair the thing in motion. Never mind that a Harasser can get a racer chassis too.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: November 11, 2013, 06:04:57 pm »

You know what the Halberd harasser reminds me of? The Gauss 'hog back in Halo 3. Same concept, pretty much: light vehicle, no driver-controlled weapons, and a high velocity anti-armor turret that requires a direct hit to kill infantry. The thing is, there are plenty of people with good enough aim to hit infantry with little/no trouble. So you've got an instagib AI weapon that can also fuck up tanks, mounted on a vehicle fast enough to outrun pretty much everything and durable enough to survive most of it.

What you're talking about is what one aspect the nerf is aiming to accomplish: forcing the AV/AI roles to actually matter.

In every multiplayer shooter with vehicles that I've played, the same thing has always been true: a light vehicle with a strong, turreted weapon will always outperform all but the very best armor and infantry players unless it's flimsy enough to die to one or two tank shells or sustained small arms fire. The three points of the vehicle combat triangle are firepower, mobility, and durability. The issue at hand is that the Harasser has all three in spades. The mobility is obviously the core; it needs to either be weak enough that it can't afford to loiter around or make what should be suicidal runs, or it shouldn't have the damage to actually kill much/anything by itself. Either a glass cannon or an annoyance, not a lightning bruiser.

Hell, I know there are problems with it, but there's one thing that Halo 3 did damned well: vehicle physics. When you hit a light vehicle with a shot from a tank, the fucker caught air and often flipped over. I'm honestly surprised, in retrospect, how much that game got right. There's certainly more of a rush for the driver when a single fuck-up means you're dead, rather than that you have to go hide for ten seconds while you repair. :x

3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: November 11, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »

Lightning tanks can't turn as quickly, lose more velocity when they do turn, have less acceleration, and are a much larger target. The Harasser's guns are more versatile, whereas the Lightning's gun is basically shoehorned into whatever barrel you attach (AP, AI, or AA). Harassers also have the benefit of a dedicated driver, who can focus on driving and evading, without worrying about shooting stuff. Lightnings also lack the ability to carry a third person who can repair the thing in motion. Never mind that a Harasser can get a racer chassis too.

The lightning doing the exact same thing was in reference only to the above post about a one-man harasser running people over, you can zoom in with a lightning, flatten a few people, and just zoom out without ever stopping just as well as you can with a harasser, so it's silly to say that's what makes the harasser OP.

You're right about the rest, though racer chassis makes the harasser hard to control and easy to flip for only ~10kph speed increase so it's not worth it IMO.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:21 am »

Second balance post.

Nanoweave gettin' nerfed.

Sniper headshot range gettin' nerfed.

I get the first. I don't really get the second.

If somebody can land a headshot outside of 150m, with the scope sway and the jerky animations, they earned it, and the person who got shot probably had it coming.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: November 12, 2013, 01:11:36 am »

From the sounds of things, nanoweave will no longer protect against knives and flareguns. Might be time to get that title...  :D
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8531 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:54 am »

I have max rank Nanoweave on every class besides Infiltrator.

I am about to get a metric butt load of refunded certs.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: November 12, 2013, 09:59:01 am »

From the sound of things the UBGL is going to be smashed with the nerf hammer. If it doesn't kill with a single shot any more there'd better be a bloody cert refund for that.

3. Run Resize Enable

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: November 12, 2013, 10:55:22 am »

So... its well past 4am - is it live now?
How well does it work?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:19 am »

The patch is up, but it looks like the servers aren't ready yet.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 826