Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089247 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8820 on: December 09, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »

The lack of actual parallax on parallax sights in games like these has always bothered me, if you look at ARMA 3 they added proper parallax sights that function like they do in the realities. Most games cheese it by painting a little dot on the glass, which is why you can see them even while unscoped and looking down at your gun. It is pretty dumb. The parallax is one of the major advantages those kinds of sights have over iron sights.

As for being able to hit things... I'm just not a good shot...
I read the wikipedia page on it, but I'm still not getting it. What does a parallax sight do?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: December 09, 2013, 05:42:42 pm »

You know, at this point I would rather fucking pay monthly than shell out cash at this thing for shit.
Fucking hate paying for shit like this, I am probably going to use the fucking free weapons until the game gets shut down.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: December 09, 2013, 05:43:41 pm »

Not sure how to explain this.

If you watch the video Darkrider posted... imagine that instead of the red dot bouncing around all over the place as the character moves, it instead remains in the center of the screen no matter how much the weapon bounces. It's always as if the dot is being projected... an infinite amount of space ahead... erm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J0HvRrDku5g#t=51 (Skip to 50 seconds)
This 'review' thingy shows it off more, but you can probably find hundreds more.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:46:58 pm by OzyTheSage »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: December 09, 2013, 05:55:23 pm »

I read the wikipedia page on it, but I'm still not getting it. What does a parallax sight do?

The crosshair or red dot will point in the direction of the barrel of the gun or where the bullet will land, even while the gun is bobbing around and moving. Imagine that the red dot is in line with the barrel but fifty feet away.

(I'm not a gun guy though, so I don't know if this is completely accurate.)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: December 09, 2013, 06:46:26 pm »

Has anyone else noticed most of the daily sales, particularly the member's one, are now only 35% discount

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: December 09, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »

You know, at this point I would rather fucking pay monthly than shell out cash at this thing for shit.
Fucking hate paying for shit like this, I am probably going to use the fucking free weapons until the game gets shut down.

There are no pay weapons. All weapons and accessories in the game are accessible via certs.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: December 09, 2013, 08:03:11 pm »

There are no pay weapons. All weapons and accessories in the game are accessible via certs.
Yes, but when you need 300certs, and can only earn like 3 per day(unless you are a god of somesort)...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: December 09, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »

Yes, but when you need 300certs, and can only earn like 3 per day(unless you are a god of somesort)...

They give you around 12 certs for logging on once per day (you get 1 cert for every 2 hours you are NOT logged on).
Also getting certs is not that hard if you support instead of doing the actual fighting.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: December 09, 2013, 08:10:57 pm »

They give you around 12 certs for logging on once per day (you get 1 cert for every 2 hours you are NOT logged on).
Also getting certs is not that hard if you support instead of doing the actual fighting.

Yeah, back when I played, I could earn 250 certs in maybe 3 days if I was on a semi-decent roll.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:14 pm »

Run around as an engi repairing things (turrets in bases that are being attacked, maxes, the occasional vehicle), or as a medic healing and rezzing people. Every 10000 points of healing, 15000 points of repairing, or 15 rezzes you do you get a ribbon, which is 250xp (1 cert) and each day your first 5 ribbons earn a bonus 500xp (2 certs). These breakpoints sound like a lot but I largely play medic and engi and even without specifically working toward them I'll earn one or two of each when I play (and I often don't play more than an hour or two in a session).

Also, when healing, don't forget about your suit power ('f' by default) which heals you and nearby people and also appears to speed up rezzing people.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:49 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty decent at FPS games and I had trouble starting in PS2. At first I didn't even really fight, I just played the game and supported as a medic or engi and got used to moving and seeing what was going on around me. After a base gets capped by your side, run around repairing stuff like generators and turrets. Eventually after finding yourself in various scrapes where you had to pull out a gun and defend yourself, you can get a little more confident. Especially useful is getting in a tank turret as an engi and shooting fairly safely. When the driver stops and gets out to repair, get out and help. This also helps you move around the map to the interesting places where the action is.

Also knowing what facilities do what. Like, a biolab has teleporter sites around it. If your team caps one, you can zap into the upper level of the biolab and stand in a one-way forcefield area and shoot outwards without being subject to enemies shooting in. Or you can get on one of the two energy elevators that connect to the upper level landing pads. Knowing where you should fight is a big part of the game. Try jumping into a public squad and just follow your dudes. They will tend to show you cool things that you didn't know how to use just by watching them.

I think learning a new FPS is maybe 10% the new weapons and gear, 60% learning the maps, and 30% learning how to visually interpret what's going on around you.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: December 09, 2013, 08:20:39 pm »

Even if you are literally the worst player in the world, you get the automatic 12/day.

Seriously, I've seen exaggerations about certs, but that's absurd. I got my 1k for my Sirius in ~5 days of play. That aside, thinking of it in terms of "OMG I need to get all teh certs" is silly; if you wanted to play for the sake of grind there are plenty of better options. Play it as what it is (an FPS) and just keep your buy priorities in the back of your mind so that when you hit one of them you can go, "Oh, cool, I've got something new to play with!"

Because spoiler alert: Having non-default weapons doesn't make you any better at the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: December 09, 2013, 08:29:49 pm »

Because spoiler alert: Having non-default weapons doesn't make you any better at the game.

Not in all cases.
The default TR sniper rifle is an intercoursing airsoft and the stock rifle/LMG/ MAX chaingun trade all relevant stats (accuracy, firepower) for a FASTER RELOAD.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:20 pm »

Not in all cases.
The default TR sniper rifle is an intercoursing airsoft and the stock rifle/LMG/ MAX chaingun trade all relevant stats (accuracy, firepower) for a FASTER RELOAD.
That's not you being better or worse at the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:15 pm »

Squad MAX repair is a pile of XP, especially if there's a % bonus on it.  (Alert, defense, pop, etc)

That said, just play the game and you'll get certs.  The ribbon bonuses help a LOT in this regard.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 826