Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089927 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8895 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »

Some spoilered "OMG im so gud" moments below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »

Especially right now, PTS is a moving target.

Mouse-macro cheaty-ness perhaps? (yes, I'm getting a gaming mouse for xmas. No, I won't mess with it, but as a technical challenge, I damn well intend on playing with recoil compensation mechanics. Just for a laugh).

Since I want it for PS2, it's on topic dammit!

I want a new mouse too.  Any suggestions?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »

I was going to get a Razor 2 for my birthday, but it turned out the company was screwy that I was going to order it from. Still, they're cheap ($40Aus or so, maybe cheaper, mine was $19, but they may not have sent it). Or a Logitech one. As long as it's got on-the-fly DPI, programmable buttons and a macro thing, it'll work. Just don't pay too much. It's a mouse.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:40:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:23 am »

So... Anyone going on connery as NC?
I'm NC Connery: Goldigga.

Just got off a tech plant alert, Draw, got 6 certs. I feel like alerts are a complete waste of time because I spent a lot of time looking at a loading screen after getting 100% stomped by 4:1 odds pretty much every time without getting a kill, even though we had even pop. Some highlights:

After dropping on Tumas, I struck an engi in the leg with a shrike rocket and didn't kill him, then he turned around and instantly two-shotted me in the head with his carbine and I died.

After dropping on Tumas, I shot a rocket at a turret and jumped off the roof to deny the mass of men up there the kill. After falling about 100' without harm I come upon the ground-level entrance and enter, making my way up to the A point. Knowing I wouldn't be able to flip it alone because there was a MAX camping from a balcony, I chose to engage the MAX. Took my time, aimed for a headshot with my shrike and swapped to SAW and started firing. He calmly turned around and instantly headshotted me and I died. He wasn't even down to half health.

After spawning at the west side-base on Tumas, I peek outside and see a sundy and about 15 friendly infantry getting clobbered by TR firing from their spawn barracks to the east. No advance that way. I make my way around south using some man-height hills to hide when I come upon two TR at a tree playing ring-around-the-rosie with an NC buddy. I move out from the wavy ground at a sprint and am instantly headshotted by a sniper.

I respawn at the same side barracks, pick up a Lightning, and drive straight into the Tumas ground complex. I come upon a heavy tank with its butt pointed at me and its turret pointed away, so I land my shots into his butt. He ignores it. I fire my second volley. Now he un-stations his tank and moves straight forward, moving his turret. I unload a third volley straight into his butt. He's not even smoking or on fire yet, and he had side armor which I was missing. Someone kills me from behind with C-4.

I spawn at a sundy someone brought up on the east side behind a mountain. I come out and find the place being bombarded by at least a dozen infantry and three tanks. The ground is carpeted with NC corpses. I turn and try to get into the sundy because nobody is in the turrets firing but instead take a pleasant visit to the class selection loadout screen because I wasn't exactly at the back or front, and died horribly to some unknown cause.

At the spawn screen I spot a second sundy north of the one I just died at. Oops, two tanks up there too and both sundies go down.

There was an hour and a half of this. Along the way I earned 50 certs just by capping bases and occasional kills. For instance, a galaxy landed on a rooftop and the driver got out, probably because TR had just capped the base. I killed him and started grenading his galaxy because that was the best I could do at the time. Three guys get on the roof and I dance around the roof barriers, killing two but dying to the third.

So if I can get 50+ certs in 90 minutes doing my normal routine, and I get 6 certs as a bonus for our side (as usual) not winning an alert, why should I care about alerts at all? Why shouldn't I just go wherever the certs are easiest?

And why the hell is the Lightning hitting like a cough from a sick child?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:02:13 am by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: December 14, 2013, 05:34:52 am »

How did performance change since early beta? Does it still throws 5 fps whenever there is fight on screen (with pretty decend specs)?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: December 14, 2013, 05:51:28 am »

How did performance change since early beta? Does it still throws 5 fps whenever there is fight on screen (with pretty decend specs)?
The performance got better by a LARGE margin since the last patch.
Self promotion below.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: December 14, 2013, 07:21:44 am »

You should care about alerts because snatching victory from VS feels better than getting 1000 certs.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: December 14, 2013, 12:56:51 pm »

What gun were you using?

The tank guns a while back got more clearly defined, and if you roll in with the wrong one, you're going to get laughed at.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: December 14, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »

You should care about alerts because snatching victory from VS feels better than getting 1000 certs.
You mean TR? :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: December 14, 2013, 01:22:53 pm »

Depends on server (and time of day.)  Late night on Mattherson is the VS show.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: December 14, 2013, 02:09:49 pm »

What gun were you using?

The tank guns a while back got more clearly defined, and if you roll in with the wrong one, you're going to get laughed at.
Just the standard one. I haven't certed into the AV gun yet. But cmon, 18 shots into the butt of a tank at close range and it should be dead unless I'm using antipersonnel.

You mean TR? :P
Snatching victory is great. I've seen about 2 NC alerts that won. Owning some rubes at a side base while everyone's busy at the alert, not dying every 20 seconds, and getting 1000 certs would feel a hell of a lot better than spending 90 minutes grinding my death count up and feeding TR certs, getting a draw at best, and getting 6 certs.

Heck, earning fewer certs but dying less would feel better. They've structured the game so it's better to play than not, but I almost feel like I should have created a TR alt and spent time at their warpgate tipping gals.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: December 14, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

When I got bored of my Miller VS char, I made an NC one on Woodman and had fun with a slightly different playstyle. I recommend it.

Also, who recommends the engineer AV turret?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: December 14, 2013, 03:05:01 pm »

When I got bored of my Miller VS char, I made an NC one on Woodman and had fun with a slightly different playstyle. I recommend it.

I'd recomend it if you play engy a LOT.

Since it has unlimited ammo it makes engineers are probably the most efficient and universal class in the game.
And as a bonus they can destroy hacked turrets for extra exp (giving you the option to repair them as well).

The downsides are minor compared to the new options a AV turret opens for you.
The downsides are being worse at mowing down infantry (the RoF is not that great) and no shield.
Self promotion below.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: December 14, 2013, 03:05:37 pm »

It's getting nerfed. I think they reduced the range and damage of the AV turret.

Thank goodness.

Just the standard one. I haven't certed into the AV gun yet. But cmon, 18 shots into the butt of a tank at close range and it should be dead unless I'm using antipersonnel.

The description implies that it's good against all targets, but in reality, the Viper is only good for farming infantry.

If you see a tank, run away. Any MBT with a gunner can go 2 on 1 vs Lightnings and win, no problem.

terrible alert experience

Dude, quit being a pubbie and join an outfit already. Go join 666th Devil Dogs or Outfit X or Recursion or something.

Just out of curiosity, what TR and NC outfits were fighting in the area?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: December 14, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »

Dude, quit being a pubbie and join an outfit already. Go join 666th Devil Dogs or Outfit X or Recursion or something.
Yes, I feel coordination is what makes the alerts pretty nice =p

I do0n't know about you guys complaining about getting certs, but getting certs is way easier nowadays then back when I played and the game had first been released. Now we have ribbons and stuff to boost your certs which we did not have. There's also the AA damage bonus which skyguards did not have back in the day, you played skyguard for the utility with no cert benefits.

I'm sitting on ~700 certs that I'm not sure what to do with.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 826