Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084939 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9120 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:06 pm »

I'd still rather have jumpjets than ZOE. Fuck disco, death from above.
Yes. I hardly ever MAX now, but those flying MAXes were the shiznit.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: December 27, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

I don't mind the class system, but the classes are pretty poorly balanced at the moment. For all the things they borrowed from Battlefield, they don't seem to have taken any of the stuff that really worked well...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: December 27, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »

It especially bothers me that Heavy isn't any tougher unless you click the short-duration shield. Just give us a suit slot with universal damage resistance 1.2x better than the other classes' flak and composite armor. I would play that Heavy; as it is, it really doesn't feel that much heavier than an Engi.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: December 28, 2013, 12:10:32 am »

I was always under the impression the heavy had more health than the other classes. The fact that he doesn't just seems kinda odd to me. Maybe that's what the shield's for? But the shield doesn't always seem to activate when I want it to, like it's on a sort of delay.

PLus, since their weapons are supposed to be LMG's and support weapons, I would've thought they would have some kind of suppression effect, or special ammunition that has an effect like that. They get concussion grenades that I haven't really had too much success with...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:31 am »

I know, it's such an injustice that they have to press F to activate their 50% more HP, instead of just having it on all the time.

They even have to weapon switch to their rockets, rather than just have their LMG double as an AT weapon by itself.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: December 28, 2013, 01:06:40 am »

I know, it's such an injustice that they have to press F to activate their 50% more HP, instead of just having it on all the time.

They even have to weapon switch to their rockets, rather than just have their LMG double as an AT weapon by itself.
It is a PITA. And in exchange for a little convenience, just so a heavy can't get ambushed and ganked before he can raise his shield, make it a 20% bonus instead.

Weapon switch is so hella slow on heavy weapons. If you have the wrong gun out your enemy will simply kill you before you can switch.

So yeah there are a lot of downsides. Which is why I only Heavy to AA with a lockon launcher and ruin Scythes' days.

Also: Damn. It. PS2 is giving me the G99 error again, and servers are up, and other games work, and I have internet. I have never in my life had this hard of a time just getting a game to run properly. Last time a reinstall / reupdate / reunfuck everything + selecting the earliest DirectX option was what fixed the problem. If I have to do that hours-long process every other hotfix, I'm just done with this game.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: December 28, 2013, 02:13:51 am »

It especially bothers me that Heavy isn't any tougher unless you click the short-duration shield. Just give us a suit slot with universal damage resistance 1.2x better than the other classes' flak and composite armor. I would play that Heavy; as it is, it really doesn't feel that much heavier than an Engi.

Actually to entirely contradict you, that suit slot is called nanoweave armor. But the completely and further illustrate your point, that's unlockable by the other classes too. Haha

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: December 28, 2013, 04:13:53 am »

Wait, people actually use the shitty default shield for the heavy? Y'know, the one that eats a little damage then pops? You want the other one (no, not the Adrenaline shield), the one that reduces incoming damage and doesn't lose energy when it takes hits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: December 28, 2013, 04:52:52 am »

It gives you 700 extra health at full. It can save your butt if you can make good use of the tenths of seconds of survival it gives you.

The 60s recharge is painful though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: December 28, 2013, 06:17:22 am »

Wait, people actually use the shitty default shield for the heavy? Y'know, the one that eats a little damage then pops? You want the other one (no, not the Adrenaline shield), the one that reduces incoming damage and doesn't lose energy when it takes hits.

Wrel calculated the effective HP and apparently you have less effective HP now with the resist shield than with the normal one.
You used to have around 2200 with resist and maxed nanoweave now the nanoweave won't stack with resist shields and you have less effective health than with normal shields.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:24 am »

Heavies have 100 extra HP, infiltrators have 100 less HP.

Heavies move at the same speed as other classes until they flick their shield on, which slows them down

Also, LA adrenalin pump is only ~10% boost to sprint speed.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: December 28, 2013, 09:16:04 am »

Heavies have 100 extra HP, infiltrators have 100 less HP.
No they don't.

All classes have 500 health. All classes but infiltrators have 500 shields. Infiltrators have 400 shields.

HA get an overshield that grants either 700 health (NMG/AS) or 45% damage reduction (RS). Note that with the first two there is an activation cost when you turn it on and the health granted ticks down with time while switched on, so only about 600 of that health is usually going to be effective in many situations, dropping lower if you keep it  on for longer. That is still a >50% increase in effective health if you have need of it, so overall you will have more than if you are using resist shield.

This is even more true if you are using either nanoweave or flak armour. These are both additional resistances that do not stack with resist shield (only the highest resist value counts). These do stack with the NMG/AS additional health, making that bonus 600 worth even more. I'm loving flak/NMG against lolpodders, even if it's not as obscene as the ancient resist+flak when that stacked additionally. Direct hits mess you up, anything else tickles.

Note that NMG is most effective as an oh-shit button when you get caught out. It is actually more valuable than your shields, as it regens far more slowly and is usually a one-off type of deal. Paying multiple activation costs for pulsing it on and off as you run is burning effective HP that will take ages to come back.

If you want consistent tanking ability then resist shield with advanced shield capacitor (and optionally some medical kits) gives you a repeatable edge over most enemies. Always being on full health with a 45% damage resist is a nice loadout, provided you have a weapon to take advantage of it.

Incidentally, making out like a bandit during these sales. So far;

Cosmetics:
Three new camos; Esamir Snow, Forest Ground Infantry, Giraffe (got friendly fire within 10 seconds of putting this on, TKed twice in the first five minutes)
Two helmets; GD Titan for LA (has complete camo coverage of the face) and Nightstriker helmet for every other class
Flash icecrusher tyres. If only they worked...

EM6 LMG. I'm mostly running this in cheese mode; extended magazine and 2x reflex. 200 round LMG which is reasonable at mid range and can just about be hip fired. Not bad, but I generally prefer the SAW at range and it is still lacking at close range. And yes, I've played with attachments in VR and need to actually kit it out properly, but still not the best gun in the game. Might just go with the traditional compensator and forgrip and run it like a weaker SAW as my mid/long range weapon, but lacking that perfectly accurate first shot that the SAW has (not to mention the 200 damage...) makes anything feel worse at range than that beast.

Decimator. I've mostly switched to this on my HA over my Shrike. This came after I direct hit a BR100 in his mozzie and he didn't die to the Shrike rocket (activated fire suppression and flew away to repair). The Deci instantly killed him once he came back. I'm not completely used to the drop on it and it's hard to see the extra damage against most targets, but I think it's a permanent lock on the slot now.

Vanguard Walker. I doubt I'll pull this all too often but it's a nice option. I have gunned in a fair few of these since the sale and it's a nice weapon. Landed a fair few air kills and you can do a decent job against infantry, especially when they are trying to pop you from a ridgeline. I think it's actually better against infantry at range than the Skyguard (tighter COF to make up for no flak bursting against air). Also does a shocking amount of damage against armour (most notable Sunderers and Harassers) if you can line them up.

GR22. This is the closest NC come to the disgustingly good TR assault rifles (I don't really understand TR players who aren't 24/7 medics...). Burns through ammo absurdly fast but tends to shred anything you point it at, ADS or not. I've kitted it out for full CQC (advanced laser, 1x reflex, SPA) it outperforms the NS-7 PDW I'd been trying to make work on my CQC Medic. It feels a lot closer to the Blitz than the PDW did, and that is a good thing. The recoil does hurt mid range more than it did on the SMGs (ironically) but I'm starting to get a feel for bursting with it.

Sunderer Fury (rear). Meh. I mostly prefer the Basilisk for an all-round weapon. But nice to have options.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9132 on: December 28, 2013, 11:00:04 am »

Most games with a varied health class system balance a class's health with their damage output and mobility. In Team Fortress 2, for example, Heavies are considerably slower than all the other classes but has a lot more health and can inflict a lot of damage if used right. Inversely, the scout is incredibly fast and, if used by a skilled player, can literally run circles around other classes and devastate a good front. Other classes are more specialized for specific situations, each with a health and damage output lowered or raised depending on their stats and utility. You'll also notice that classes with more health have larger hit boxes.

Planetside 2 would have to introduce a health/speed/damage/hit box/utility balance if classes were to receive varying health, which it's currently not balanced for (Except infiltrators, who can become invisible instead of having more health).

I think everything's fine as is. Heavies already have a larger damage potential (Large clips with good weapons, rocket launchers) than all other classes along with the only class abilities that can negate or absorb incoming damage effectively. This is balanced because they have no utility besides being the major mid-to-long-range anti-vehicle class.

It doesn't really make sense to give heavies more health without some major overhauls to the game.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: December 28, 2013, 11:16:49 am »

A heavy will beat any other class except MAX in a straight-up fight, so I don't think they need a health buff.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: December 28, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »

Wrel calculated the effective HP and apparently you have less effective HP now with the resist shield than with the normal one.
You used to have around 2200 with resist and maxed nanoweave now the nanoweave won't stack with resist shields and you have less effective health than with normal shields.

Eh, I still prefer the resist shield. I'd rather have staying power than half a second of "lol fuck you" time. If it's a duel, a heavy can beat anything but a MAX if they aren't completely outplayed anyways. In a teamfight, your team needs you up front soaking damage for everyone else and laying down fire, not popping up, shooting for a second, then hiding while your energy recharges.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 826