Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085025 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9150 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:09 am »

The membership bonus has changed.

From February instead a bonus 500 SC a month a member can choose one item up to 2000 SC in cost, this doesn't include bundles or player studio items

Given that there's only 6 items priced at more than 1000 SC (and they're... highly redundant), it's still going to be a pretty terrible way of getting items as opposed to just buying SC.

Seems counter productive...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: January 04, 2014, 09:06:25 am »

So, what does everyone think of silencers? I think they're the best upgrade ever, but I don't see people using them much. Sure, they make it significantly harder to hit people at longer distances, but not showing up on the minimap more than outweighs this downside. I don't think I could do any proper flanking with an unsilenced gun, but with my silenced SAS-R I can clear whole hills full of enemy snipers without anyone realizing what's going on. It's also handy on my Gauss-S, whether it's for my light assault (good luck finding me up in the trees when I don't show up on the minimap) or for my engineer (smoke bomb spam + NV scope works even better when silenced, and the scope reduces your range anyway so the silencer malus isn't as noticeable). I don't use it on HA because that's not really a class meant for stealth and on medic because medics shouldn't be shooting anything outside of shotgun range anyway.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: January 04, 2014, 09:45:40 am »

Not only do you not show up on the minimap, but in a more pitched fight with guns blazing around you your weapon is quieter and people are less likely to find you by the sound of your gun. I remember that I put a suppressor on my EM6 (EDIT: I would like to point out that I love the sound design in Planetside 2. Suppressed EM6 sounds amazing and kinda scary) and found that I was doing a lot better than when I had a compensator on during a fight over one of the Esamir outposts.

I just wish the flash suppressor was better. They really should make it so that putting it on gives your bullets subdued tracers (only ignites after 100 meters or so) instead of bright ones, because as it is even if they can't see your muzzle flash they can just see the tracers coming out of your gun. As much as I like not having a muzzle flash it's just not as useful as it really ought to be, especially considering that it amplifies the bloom of your bullets while you shoot.

False edit: I just did a search and apparently flash suppressors don't make you appear on the map similar to a suppressor? If that's the case then that makes the flash suppressor's drawbacks not that bad... people can still hear you loud and clear though, but when they check the map to see where the shots are coming from they won't have any idea, only going from the actual sound your gun makes.

EDIT: As a fun little side note, in reality suppressors actually increase muzzle velocity because it essentially extends the length of the barrel. Many weapons fire bullets at a velocity that breaks the sound barrier (about 343 meters per second) and will produce a distinct supersonic "crack" as they pass by. Special ammunition that fires at lower velocities are used in conjunction with suppressors, so the suppressor will mask the sound of the gun firing, and the special subsonic rounds will not produce a loud snap, making the weapon much more 'stealthy.' Just thought I'd like to share that bit for those unaware, hehehe.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:59:14 am by OzyTheSage »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: January 04, 2014, 10:03:13 am »

False edit: I just did a search and apparently flash suppressors don't make you appear on the map similar to a suppressor? If that's the case then that makes the flash suppressor's drawbacks not that bad... people can still hear you loud and clear though, but when they check the map to see where the shots are coming from they won't have any idea, only going from the actual sound your gun makes.

I highly doubt that's the case. The flash suppressor isn't terribly useful, but isn't drawback isn't particularly bad either. 'course, having nothing isn't much less useful, and has no drawback...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:14 am »

I highly doubt that's the case. The flash suppressor isn't terribly useful, but isn't drawback isn't particularly bad either. 'course, having nothing isn't much less useful, and has no drawback...

Yeah that isn't true.  Flash Suppressors just hide muzzle flashes.  Suppressors do make you not show up on the minimap and actually don't silence your weapon, but they do make it have a different noise. 

Here's a pretty good video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Z-5JdVMJ4

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: January 04, 2014, 11:11:05 am »

The membership bonus has changed.

From February instead a bonus 500 SC a month a member can choose one item up to 2000 SC in cost, this doesn't include bundles or player studio items

Given that there's only 6 items priced at more than 1000 SC (and they're... highly redundant), it's still going to be a pretty terrible way of getting items as opposed to just buying SC.

Seems counter productive...

This was pushed by SOE corp, and affects games like EQ/etc as well (where there are much more expensive items.)

I'm curious about one thing- I subbed for the winter sale, and it expires on the 19th.  If I resub, will I get 500 SC, a free item, or both?

Speaking of medkits, is there a reason to pick regen kits over medkits? Medkits way work faster but regen does its healing over time... so regen kits are for just before entering a room so you can heal while getting shot? I dunno, seems like the healing wouldn't be fast enough to make you survive much longer. They are cheaper though, but I've never had any problem with resources unless I pulled a MAX suit.

I think they stop healing you if you get shot, so they're pretty much useless.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: January 04, 2014, 11:18:50 am »

No, Toaster, you're wrong here. A resto kit gives you a personal pocket medic - it heals 80% (75%?) of your health over 6 (5?) seconds at a continuous rate, no matter how much you get shot.

And Flash suppressors are useful at night, not so much in the day. And apparently they slightly lower your detection range, but not completely, and that's likely not true.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:35 am »

I'll believe you, since I've never used them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: January 04, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »

From what i know Flash suppressors just remove the flash... it's ok when using with smoke nades as flashes are seen through the cloud.
HOWEVER i did hear that silencers remove the flash as well...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9159 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:39 pm »

As of when I last tested all the muzzle attachments a while back, below are all of their effects.

Compensator - reduce vertical recoil, increase firing noise, increase passive appearance range on radar to enemies when firing, reduced initial hip-fire accuracy.
Suppressor - reduced firing noise, remove passive appearance on radar to enemy when firing, reduced bullet velocity, increased damage falloff.
Flash Suppressor - Remove muzzle flash, increase cone of fire bloom per shot.

The reduced bullet velocity of the suppressor has very little effect for VS weapons except for sniper rifles due to the VS general lack of bullet drop.

Compensator is normally only really useful at mid-long range when ADS. It can sometimes be useful for cqc hip-firing for rapid firing weapons with large magazines where initial accuracy is not as important as control throughout the burst.

Suppressor is useful at short-mid range, at mid-long range you are beyond the passive firing detection range and only suffer from the reduced velocity and increased damage falloff.

Flash Suppressor is really only useful at night at mid-long range, or occasionally during the day for snipers at long range. As Sonlirain said they can be effective at assaulting through smoke cover, though that requires a reasonably coordinated group to be effective.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: January 04, 2014, 01:15:37 pm »

A lot of people say to get the compensator for battle rifles, but I say that's malarky.  I tested it a bit, and at any real range that the compensator helps, you're firing it slowly enough that the CoF drops to zero before you fire another shot.  I'd stick with the flash suppressor or nothing on them.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: January 04, 2014, 03:53:02 pm »

That patch... it broke my beloved grounder.
Now when you fire it without a lock it flies straight for like 3 meters and shoots straight up and commits seppuku.

Guess i will have to save up certs for the Striker then.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

No, it's a skimming bug, you just need to lock on to some other aircraft again and then unscope - it will fix itself.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: January 04, 2014, 06:32:05 pm »

I think it halves the radius you show up as a dot on the minimap.

A lot of people say to get the compensator for battle rifles, but I say that's malarky.  I tested it a bit, and at any real range that the compensator helps, you're firing it slowly enough that the CoF drops to zero before you fire another shot.  I'd stick with the flash suppressor or nothing on them.

The compensator is important for short-ranged engagements where you need to put people down quickly or else you die. Accuracy is critical for that and the compensator makes lining up those headshots a little easier.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »

So I'm sitting on my mana AV in a base, and a friendly infiltrator moves right in front of my barrel just as I fire. Ten seconds later, he kills me, presumably for revenge. I hate these people. My turret was there first, and unlike him it can't move, so it's his own damn fault I killed him.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 826