Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089830 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9390 on: January 28, 2014, 03:07:14 pm »

People complaining about the Lasher? And not complaining about the Jackhammer? And not about the bullethose-instadeath MCG?
I'm not saying they're OP, I'm saying you shouldn't complain about a situation-specific empire-specific weapon. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: January 28, 2014, 03:17:04 pm »

Speaking as NC, I've never had an issue with either of the other two heavy weapons, except some desire for the MCG.  VS can keep the Lasher for all I care. d=
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »

People complaining about the Lasher? And not complaining about the Jackhammer? And not about the bullethose-instadeath MCG?
I'm not saying they're OP, I'm saying you shouldn't complain about a situation-specific empire-specific weapon. :P

I'd rather have a really situational, but interesting heavy weapon, than one that's basically identical to existing weapons. Jackhammer's little more than a cute pump action, and every faction already gets two of those to begin with.

'course... I don't play heavy, so I guess I really don't care at all. Heh.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »

The Jackhammer's pretty okay. I like how it can instakill everything within 20m and compete favorably out to 30m.

I also like how most infantry combat happens at these ranges.

They could always make it so that to have those buffing things you cant have passengers... Right?

Why restrict galaxies when ammo and repair sunderers can carry passengers?

It's not like the passengers of an ammo or repair gal are going to be hopping out to do emergency repairs.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: January 28, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »

The Jackhammer's pretty okay. I like how it can instakill everything within 20m and compete favorably out to 30m.

5 minutes in VR suggests Jackhammer definitely doesn't instakill at 20 meters. 15 maybe. 50% increased OHKO range in exchange for 33% less ammo. It's a cute sidegrade of an already existing weapon.

It's not bad (strictly speaking, being a PA, it is bad, but whatever) however it's really not different than what's already available. I guess the allure of "heavy weapon" might make the NC folks pull 'em a bit more (I see quite a few of them on Connery), but dealing with them isn't really any different than the PAs.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: January 28, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »

Ok now about those HA weapons...

Only the Lasher does somethig unique by having splash damage. It's basically a scaled down vehicle plasma cannon.
A downsized version of Proton PPA Mounted on tanks and harrasers.

And what do the other factions get?

A glorified shotgun and a LMG that cannot use any modifications other than extended mags (bumping the crazy 100 mag size to an insane 200) or laser sight (useless because you should really ADS with those).
Oh and its RoF is only 50 RPM over the stock TR LMG... one that does not have to rev up before reaching max RoF and has the exact same ammo capacity.
Truth be told the only thing this gun has running for it is the coolnes factor.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:36 pm »

The Lasher, from when I tested on my VS char, doesn't really stand a chance head-to-head, only as an area denial weapon. Then again, I don't actually own it, so...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: January 29, 2014, 02:23:44 am »

I love my Lasher but it's really a situational weapon. It's Godly in Biolab fights, especially when your defending, but useless on any sort of open ground or when the enemy is getting close.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:51 am »

I bought the Lasher two days ago, and it's bloody useless in most situations. It's fun though, and I love headshotting people with it just to humiliate them :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: January 29, 2014, 04:35:18 am »

So how's the airhammer these days? I bought it a long time ago, expecting to totally rip apart enemy aircraft if I can get up in their face, but be useless at range. And while the latter is certainly true, I found that it's not noticeably better than a rotary at close range. I did not bother upgrading magazine size because I was dissatisfied with it's damage, has it been buffed in any way or did I just get an inaccurate impression of this weapon? Ie should I bother trying it for real, which would necessitate pouring certs into magazine size upgrades?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:23 am »

I don't really know much about the airhammer but from what i hear you HAVE to upgrade tha capacity for it to be anywhere near useful.
And i think it got nerfed some time ago so it went from useles to situational and from situational to probably useless again (just like all NC weapons).

I'm not really up to date with NC weapon effectivenes so don't take my advice to heart.
Self promotion below.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:56 am »

I don't really know much about the airhammer but from what i hear you HAVE to upgrade tha capacity for it to be anywhere near useful.

This.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: January 29, 2014, 09:53:58 am »

It becomes useful at 5 shells, which is 2 levels of magazine upgrade.

it went from useles to situational and from situational to probably useless again (just like all NC weapons).

Basically SOE acknowledged that the AH was too good against aircraft so they nerfed the damage (this was waaaay back when, it was untouched in the most recent air update), but after the nerf it was still pretty great, so more like great to... still great.

I've got aurax on this weapon, I only have magazine size 2 (5 shells), thermal vision, and a bunch of ammo, when you get bored in the air you go farm infantry with it, tends to make auraxing go a lot faster.

Auraxing regular noseguns has become a damn chore now that every pilot bails out of their plane before it dies  ::)  I'm instinctively diving down after aircraft kills to get a shot in on the pilot before he hits the ground, or straight kill him if he's a light assault.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:08 am »

I know, I was just wondering if it'll be actually useful when upgraded. It's just that the idea of a shotgun fighter sounds like lots of fun, but if it's too impractical I can't justify buying it when there's so much useful stuff I need to get, like Skyguard and MAX upgrades. Speaking of MAX upgrades, any tips? So far all I've got is 2nd Falcon, Aegis 1, autorepair 1 (yeah, it sucks, but it's better than nothing since most pubbie engies don't bother repairing MAXes) and acquisition timer 2. Most importantly, should I go with flak or kinetic armor, or maybe even autorepair if it gets sufficiently better at later levels?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: January 29, 2014, 10:44:31 am »

Well C4 and Missiles is one of the main reasons for MAX deaths so i'd suggest flak as even one level can save you from being instagibbed by a brick of C4 (nothing can save you from 2 tho) or damage from rocket/cannon near misses.

Kinetic is not a terrible idea either since it makes you even harder to kill for plebes with small arms.

Autorepair is good for ghostcapping since it usually can fully heal a MAX between encounters.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:04:18 am by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 826