Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084951 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10050 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:56 am »

There's a known issue in Planetside 2 with NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers where the display driver completely shuts down for a few seconds.

But it doesn't happen only in PS2; do you happen to know if its a known issue with other games as well?

I actually haven't updated my drivers in a while (last update Sept 2013), so my current version is older than the 332 Mono suggested.

I'll get 332 anyway. I think it is probably a card/driver issue since it only happens with fairly intensive games (PS2 and Rift being the most graphics-intensive games I've been playing lately), but I figure it could also be an overheating problem (although those tend to just bluescreen, don't they?) or a bottleneck somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:23:06 am by Niveras »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: April 09, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Is it just me or does joining an outfit completely change how the game plays? Is this what competitive gaming feels like?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: April 09, 2014, 06:34:38 am »

All I know is that I was in an outfit though playing in a squad with a friend, when one of the outfit leaders came on chat, said he was creating a squad and he wants people to ditch their squads and join him, and that he understands if people are playing with friends but wants us to notify him whenever we are.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: April 09, 2014, 06:48:58 am »

I updated to 332 and used the GeForce experience thing to see what optimal settings might be... Apparently, according to the program I my system doesn't even meet the "minimum requirements for optimal settings". The optimal option basically sets everything to minimum, which I would argue is unplayable since trying to find a target is like trying to distinguish smear of pixels from other smears of pixels; there's no clarity of distinction between targets and terrain at relatively close quarters (~25-50m?) to say nothing of longer ranges like across a field while defending or attacking a tower. Hilariously, it still recommended setting shadow quality to Low rather than Off.

I find it strange the program can modify graphic settings outside the game but doesn't let you adjust individual settings.

Edit: Based on that program I adjusted some settings, set Render Quality to 100 but most other settings to the minimum. Now ~100 in a warpgate, although still only about 30~ in a small melee (pretty much just two friendly squads and two enemy squads) which still isn't quite smooth enough in my experience.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:04:09 am by Niveras »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10054 on: April 09, 2014, 07:24:51 am »

Is it just me or does joining an outfit completely change how the game plays? Is this what competitive gaming feels like?
It does, when your outfit has at least one leader. It actually feels like you're doing things! :P

It helps that the leader of my outfit also talks about what he's thinking as he makes orders.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:12 am »

I updated to 332 and used the GeForce experience thing to see what optimal settings might be... Apparently, according to the program I my system doesn't even meet the "minimum requirements for optimal settings". The optimal option basically sets everything to minimum, which I would argue is unplayable since trying to find a target is like trying to distinguish smear of pixels from other smears of pixels; there's no clarity of distinction between targets and terrain at relatively close quarters (~25-50m?) to say nothing of longer ranges like across a field while defending or attacking a tower. Hilariously, it still recommended setting shadow quality to Low rather than Off.

There should be a graphics quality slider or something like that, I don't remember exactly what it's called.

Just increase that till you're happy. The performance hit is not too bad from that slider, so you should still be able to play

And turn shadows off completely even if it tells you low. Shadows are (afaik) calculated on the cpu and this game uses a lot of cpu power even after the optimizations.

Edit: and I can see in your edit that you already did that (render quality was the slider I was thinking of)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:41 am »

It does, when your outfit has at least one leader. It actually feels like you're doing things! :P

It helps that the leader of my outfit also talks about what he's thinking as he makes orders.
I usually lone wolf in my NC char's outfit since the leader, though pretty nice, doesn't really know what he's doing. :P

On my VS alt, though, I run squad a lot more.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:02 am »

I need an outfit that doesn't require teamspeak ;_;
*stares at Reudh*

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10058 on: April 09, 2014, 08:03:23 am »

You have to leave SOCA and reach BR 10 to join PG12, you know ...

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:03 am »

D: DF PS2? Awesome. I played some earlier this year, but stopped after a while because the outfit grew to 300+ and the leaders were trying to stuff me into leadership positions (and I kept accepting). I think I got to BR 35 or something.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:08:35 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: April 09, 2014, 09:11:54 am »

I need an outfit that doesn't require teamspeak ;_;
*stares at Reudh*

In game comms are so unpredictable, that's not really an option for any serious outfit.
VCO on Mattherson doesn't require TS, but you'd be limited to a ground grunt with no chance for advancement.

The darklight flashlight seems so useless (on a sidearm). Spotted an enemy infiltrator from...feet away.
Cue same infiltrator shooting my face off with a pistol. :V

The darklight is required to spot stalker infiltrators.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: April 09, 2014, 09:56:28 am »

The darklight is required to spot stalker infiltrators.
So short ranged. >.>
So mostly useless. <.<
You have to leave SOCA and reach BR 10 to join PG12, you know ...
I'm...21? I think? And mostly just by repairing or healing up peoples. :<
I can't drive an aircraft for my life and really wonder how many MANY other people are able to fly in one direction...SIDEWAYS DX

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10062 on: April 09, 2014, 10:26:24 am »

What the... tiruin, how many hours did you play? You're already the same BR as me o_O

As for aircraft, you need a lot of experience and certs, for the upgrades. :P

Also, I recommend not getting flashlights or supressors or vehicle upgrades. Focus on your character for now, such as class certs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: April 09, 2014, 10:29:15 am »

What the... tiruin, how many hours did you play? You're already the same BR as me o_O
Engineer > Repair.
Medic > Revive.
I only played...like, 24 hours-ish? x3 That initial boost helped a lot.
Also, follow your teammates in capturing a place.
Alsoalso: Headshot + infiltrator. Nobody can resist it! MWAHAHAHAHAAAA <3

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: April 09, 2014, 11:39:06 am »

Yeeeeeeep.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 826