Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089686 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10350 on: May 01, 2014, 12:01:20 am »

Everyone randomly crashes. It's never just you.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: May 01, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

Briggs seems to have an unproportional amount of unluck with them, though. At least from mentions.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: May 01, 2014, 01:21:51 am »

Briggs has been suffering from numerous known connectivity issues for the past several weeks now that the other servers are not experiencing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: May 01, 2014, 04:42:04 am »

Except that no matter what you're imagining, ESFs are heli-type vehicles. Just without the boring gravity or aerodynamics bits to worry you. They have some jet mixed in, but that's just easy forward thrust without tilt.
Pretty much this. Coping with the existence of ESFs is a lot easier (even though I still think they're far too versatile than what I'd really like) once you realize that they are actually choppers disguised as high-tech fighter planes instead of actual fighter planes. Amusingly, I get the feeling that the Valkyrie, with a high velocity and rumble-seats to fit Heavy Assaults with AA Launchers, are going to end up being fighter planes disguised as high-tech choppers.

Although the only reason for that is really to do with scale... While ESFs are meant to be the fixed wing fighters of Planetside, they function as VTOL/heli-type because a fixed wing aircraft engages from miles away (at least for any self-propelled ordnance). (Also applicable to tanks and maybe a powerful rifle under certain conditions.) But computers aren't powerful enough to realistically render that far so you get a huge compression in distances and VTOL fighters end up dogfighting by hover-dancing around each other at a distance of less than a few hundred meters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: May 01, 2014, 04:44:33 am »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:34 am »

PTW

Is this... accusation leveled at anything specific, or just the game in general?
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: May 01, 2014, 11:31:45 am »

I think he means "Posting To Watch".

"Pay to win" would be "p2w" :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: May 01, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »

Although the only reason for that is really to do with scale... While ESFs are meant to be the fixed wing fighters of Planetside, they function as VTOL/heli-type because a fixed wing aircraft engages from miles away (at least for any self-propelled ordnance). (Also applicable to tanks and maybe a powerful rifle under certain conditions.) But computers aren't powerful enough to realistically render that far so you get a huge compression in distances and VTOL fighters end up dogfighting by hover-dancing around each other at a distance of less than a few hundred meters.
Ever hear of ARMA? It's not perfect but it's close, but there are also dedicated flight sims that do the scale right, but... well they are dedicated sims. I'm just saying computers can handle it but it's not the scope of PS2

I feel that the way ESFs handle, and aircraft in general, has more to do with the nature of the game. They didn't feel that you needed to go through 'flight school' to be able to fly (although something like that wouldn't be a bad idea) so even one of the most difficult maneuvers in real flight (landing) is trivialized because you don't need a long strip of land. This means instead of designing the maps/continents around having dedicated airstrips they can just have a little landing pad.

If they were something that were called from off-continent from aircraft carrier type things... that would actually be kinda neat especially considering the continent locking stuff coming up, but the game's too developed for that sort of thing. Changing the way ESF's function at this point... would probably be bad...

In regards to Pay 2 Win (regardless of if it was intentional or not) every default gun I've tried is good, everything else is more specialized for more specific types of encounters, and there are many things that you simply cannot buy with real money including upgrades for those guns, vehicles, upgrades for your vehicles, etc.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: May 02, 2014, 03:29:58 am »

I think he means "Posting To Watch".

"Pay to win" would be "p2w" :P
No no see I'm actually paying to watch this thread :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: May 03, 2014, 05:09:50 am »

I love double XP weekends. I activated my 3 day hyper boost for 4x experience and got over 2k certs in a day ^_^
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: May 03, 2014, 05:38:13 am »

Aww yis, three months of free membership. Loginside 2 is over, long live Planetside 2.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10361 on: May 03, 2014, 05:55:48 am »

Aww yis, three months of free membership. Loginside 2 is over, long live Planetside 2.

What's your IGN? :D

I love double XP weekends. I activated my 3 day hyper boost for 4x experience and got over 2k certs in a day ^_^

... How did you get 500 certs in the first place in a single day? o-o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: May 03, 2014, 06:30:28 am »

What's your IGN? :D
IGN?

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: May 03, 2014, 08:06:32 am »

Has anyone managed to get into PS1 yet?
Has SOE confirmed PS1 is even currently live on AAP yet or if its still something to come?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: May 03, 2014, 08:13:45 am »

... How did you get 500 certs in the first place in a single day? o-o
HE Lightning with thermals and proximity radar, all day long. Find an enemy base under siege and shell away, keeping one eye on the minimap for C4 fairies. I also had some good runs with an SMG infiltrator, but it's mostly the Lightning. The XP flow does dry out after a while, because enemies simply stop coming out on the outside balconies, but then friendly infantry has a lot more freedom for moving around so they take the base quickly, and then you just rinse and repeat on the next one. This BTW is also why vehicles actually matter, despite how some people claim that the only thing that matters is CQC infantry.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 826