Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089446 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10695 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:21 am »

They need to add a system that shuts down spawn once its camped, to force people to think and stop spawning there endlessly, hoping their wall of corpses will shield them in their next breakout attempt. Like add a capture area that surrounds the spawn, and once so many enemies are in that area, the spawn stops spawning.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: June 27, 2014, 06:58:36 am »

Anyway for people to counter it then?
Like, respawn at nearby base and pull reinforcements (air/armor) instead of respawning in the (most probably doomed) base?

Sure, but that would require a brain, something the vast majority of PS2 players do not possess.

If you are getting spawn camped, it is time to move on.

That's nice and all, and every time the spawn camping issue comes up someone says exactly that, but saying that doesn't actually solve the problem. The fact of the matter is most people are idiots and will continue spawning at a doomed base no matter how many such PSAs they hear. The only way to solve the problem is to change how the game works. Either find a way to prevent the spawn from being camped or, as timferius suggests, stop the spawn from functioning once it is camped.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:01:10 am by Sordid »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: June 27, 2014, 07:19:14 am »

I think just removing the ability to shoot through shields from the inside would go a long way towards alleviating this problem.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: June 27, 2014, 07:33:02 am »

I think just removing the ability to shoot through shields from the inside would go a long way towards alleviating this problem.

That's the case in towers and the problem is still there.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: June 27, 2014, 08:03:02 am »

Anyway for people to counter it then?
Like, respawn at nearby base and pull reinforcements (air/armor) instead of respawning in the (most probably doomed) base?

Sure, but that would require a brain, something the vast majority of PS2 players do not possess.
Net problems ahoy!
Anyways, this is the first time I've seen a grievous problem in-game = 'to Think'.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: June 27, 2014, 08:21:08 am »

Well it wouldn't be so bad if the game actually explained to you the basics of how it works and what tactics you should be using, which it never does.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: June 27, 2014, 10:36:50 am »

They need to add a system that shuts down spawn once its camped, to force people to think and stop spawning there endlessly, hoping their wall of corpses will shield them in their next breakout attempt. Like add a capture area that surrounds the spawn, and once so many enemies are in that area, the spawn stops spawning.
Possibly better plan. Let people construct a wall of corpses that gives them cover lanes ALA trench warfare from WW1.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: June 27, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

Planetside 1 had base gens that when blown terminated the power at the base, stopping spawn and making terms unusable and base turrets deactivate.

Gen blowing caused much whining from farmers, but it was a way to say that a base fight was over, it was also a thing infills could do to give the attackers just the edge they needed to push in - until core combat fucked it up with buffed pain fields

Xp was tracked per character and depended on fight intensity. Ghost caps and farms earned naff all.

Planetside 1 was a much better game than ps1, too bad SOE decided to make a MW/BF game instead

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: June 27, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »

You could just disable spawning on contested bases to eliminate spawn camping and promote vehicle play, smart sunderer placement, and outfit teamplay by both the attackers and defenders of any given base.

But its pointless really, spawn rooms are too embedded in the game for anything to change. Best we can do is teach people not to spawn on obviously camped bases and just spawn at the next base in line with their AV turrets ready.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: June 27, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »

I'm starting to notice some small bases now have SCUs protected by shields that seem to go down when the cap timer is at 50%. I guess that's something at least. I wonder if they're going to have that in all bases.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: June 27, 2014, 04:38:42 pm »

Planetside 1 was a much better game than ps2, too bad SOE decided to make a MW/BF game instead

FIFY

I want to see Space Trucken Muthen fucken!!!!

Seriously, use supply lines from people doing runs instead of the current latices system.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »

You could even have AI truck bot things driving around between captured bases (that you could ambush and destroy), but then trying to drive your vehicles to the front lines would be more of a pain.

Right now the most you can really do about the spawn situation is to yell on region chat or on proximity to spawn at a different base, or spawn at the warpgate and get in your galaxy, but I have never ever heard anything like this from public players, or even from outfit players towards public players.

Yesterday I spent about 5 hours playing on Hossin, I managed to see about 4 of the bases because we would take a base back only for GOKU to come push us back. I forget what bases they were specifically, but it was near the tech plant in the southwest. In one base there is a plateau above the capture point that is good for defenders to shoot/get down on the rooftops. The base north of that has a road cut through a huge plateau to make a valley, and on top of the plateau the attackers can shoot down on the defenders. I remember at one point there was an entire platoon of Lashers murdering everybody from the top of that cliff. To top it off, it is very difficult for non-light assaults to get up to the top of this cliff, while the attackers have a nice ramp leading up.

Can't say much about the rest of Hossin, but it's nice to fight on somewhere that's not Indar. Speaking of that, how come everybody is so obsessed with indar? What's wrong with the other two (now three) continents?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: June 27, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »

The base you're describing is The Rusty Bent Glaive, which I'm certain is Auraxis' only pub.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: June 27, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »

No, I'm in-game now and I just checked the map. Ghanan Research Labs has the vantage point over the control point builder for defenders, and the base north of it, ORM scrap and salvage, has the big cliff that the attackers can shoot down on the entire base.

The good news is apparently the warpgate cycling thing is in effect, our warpgate is far, far from that place now =p

In other news, NC on Emerald are pretty dumb. I just hop on to find an alert on Indar is almost over, and the squad I joined is ready to capture Esamir after the alert. Apparently the blueberries did not like this idea and decided to capture Esamir first, enjoy continent lock and benefits for a whole 2 minutes, then get Indar locked by TR once the alert ends so now all the territory we had on Esamir was a waste of time. The only good thing that has come from this is that Indar is locked.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: June 27, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »

Can't say much about the rest of Hossin, but it's nice to fight on somewhere that's not Indar. Speaking of that, how come everybody is so obsessed with indar? What's wrong with the other two (now three) continents?

It was the first continent, I believe it was listed first for a while too, Crown was a people sink pre-lattice, which meant it had the highest populations. People play on Indar because people are playing on Indar.

It also has the shittiest base design, so tankers like it for farming infantry.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 826