Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089674 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11010 on: August 04, 2014, 06:18:01 am »

Battle rifle is great, except I really should take the suppressor off of it. The vs one has lower damage due to no bullet drop (balance), and lower velocity doesn't really have.

I prefer tanking in a vanguard than in a magrider for anti-tank, while the other way for anti-infantry. Actually, I preferred the lightning for all roles before the viper Nerf. :p
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: August 04, 2014, 06:24:47 am »

Is HVA/FlashSup/Grip the go-to for the battle rifles?

Laser sight isn't a bad choice since it helps the battle rifle at the range it's worst at. It also shortens the time it takes for the gun to get accurate when going from hipfire to ADS, which is important if you're totally MLG and like being aggressive with the battle rifle and like going for close range do-or-die headshots.

I think battle rifles are pretty generally bad though. I don't use them much since there's a carbine/AR/LMG that does its job better and doesn't have an awkward damage curve. Battle rifles would be really good if they were two headshot kills at more ranges than just within 10m.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: August 04, 2014, 09:56:59 am »

I think you'd have to pay me to put a Canister on my Vanguard, even with those buffs.  Give me an Enforcer instead so I can farm tanks.

I've had the Warden for a really long time now.  I did use the compensator on it, but I took it off.  Its recoil is high enough and recoil recovery is low enough that you're recentered with or without for those long-range shots, and shorter ranges the difference isn't enough to matter.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: August 04, 2014, 05:07:11 pm »

I don't use tanks enough to have any real strong opinions on any of them. I know a while back they patched it so the Vanguard has better acceleration, which seems kinda odd to me. I also ran a mostly stock Lightning for the first time in forever the other day (on my new TR alt) and realize just how much the rival chassis helps with eeeverything.

Is HVA/FlashSup/Grip the go-to for the battle rifles?
It sort of depends what you're doing with it. If you're exclusively going for single shots at long range and letting the gun settle after each shot you don't technically even need the grip. If you're firing another shot before the cone of fire resets then the flash suppressor actually makes things slightly more difficult. If you're firing another shot before the gun settles itself then HVA makes the recoil less manageable while compensator makes it more manageable. If you're hipfiring (People like hipfire battle rifles) then a LAM will help, compensator and flash suppressor will hinder, and HVA will make little difference except in very specific situations.

I usually kit for the 'worst case scenario', which means hipfire scenario, since that's when your pants are down and you need every advantage you can get. Otherwise if you're quick with your weapon swap you can rely on your sidearm for those situations or the RNG gods for your hipfire. Or if for some reason you have a reaaally high ADS cursor speed then you could rely on that, assuming you're using a powerful optic.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:08:58 pm by OzyTheSage »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: August 04, 2014, 10:45:49 pm »

Patch notes.

Everything except the removal of vehicle timers is meh.

I guess directives won't be awful.

Also the sundy shield is the dumbest thing ever. Did you like blowing up deployed sunderers with C4 or mines? Well, fuck you, now you can't do that anymore. A sundy with the shield deployed lives through more C4 than a max blockade sundy and more mines than a max mineguard sundy. Hell, it will absorb a three mine detonation without even taking damage to the sunderer. It will no longer be possible to destroy a sunderer as a solo infantry and will make destroying sunderers as a squad of infantry considerably more difficult.

The worst part is that it makes protecting a deployed sunderer a completely brainless activity. Beforehand you had to guard it against little turd engineers. No need for that anymore.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:34:17 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: August 05, 2014, 12:10:35 am »

The new alert system probably means there's going to be even less alerts unless people are completely not paying attention. To begin with alerts were nothing more than something to give people a common goal to ensure large battles on specific continents or base types, so they were inconsequential. Then continent locking came along and they actually meant something. Now it's more of a 'hey dumb shit, these guys are going to conquer this continent if you let them'.

The launcher changes are interesting, less rocket primaries, maybe? Honestly I'd like to see a rocket launcher that has an even bigger blast radius but no 1 shot kill potential, for those situations where you know a group of people are just camping a spot that's difficult to land grenades at. But then people would probably end up spamming that even more than current launchers since rocket ammo does not cost nanites.

Speaking of launchers, I got the anti-air lockon for 250 certs (I didn't know it was that cheap) and... well, I like it. It has a functional optic that doesn't piss me off and I can dumbfire it to engage tanks possibly even easier than with the default dumbfire rockets (and even more easily than the Decimator; I mentioned in another post but I have to use the little screw thing below the sight to aim and it obscures my target so it's a lot of guesswork, or use the hipfire crosshairs and quicksight with it).

Healing grenades are really cheap now, wonder if we'll see people using them more. I honestly think they need a buff, perhaps lasting for a longer period of time. What I'm curious about is why the sunder is so cheap considering the potential for battle sundies. In the old days a whole squad would roll in a sundy and whenever they engaged a tank ~9 Heavy Assaults would pop out of the sundy's ass and annihilate the tank with a mass of rockets.

The worst part is that it makes protecting a deployed sunderer a completely brainless activity.
One of the main problems with sundy defense is how brainless everyone is to begin with, which is why they were so easy to explode. The main thing this is supposed to be fixing is random engies dropping from the sky from their ESFs and dropping a bunch of mines while nobody tries to stop him, then blowing the sundy up. Also stopping jihad flashes etc. The goal is to prevent a single person from blowing sundies up. We'll see just how it actually pans out...

Then again, if you only bring one AMS to a fight you're asking for trouble before you've even started...

I've contemplated AMS placement a bit, and notice many people like to put them right up against walls where people can drop C4 directly from above or sprinkle some fairy dust on it. I wonder if it'd be at all viable to place sundies a bit further away from walls so that C4 fairies will have a harder time reaching it and only leave dumbfire attacks viable, which deal less burst damage. It'd force reinforcements to likely have to go through open ground to reach the defenders though...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:12:44 am by OzyTheSage »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: August 05, 2014, 02:27:30 am »

Can opponents see your laser sight? If so, is there a way to turn it off outside of doing it manually every time you start the game? Ditto for alternate fire modes - can I just set the 3x burst to default on the Jackhammer, or do I need to keep doing so?

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:21 am »

Nanite income has replaced all other resource incomes and occurs at a steady 50 resources per minute, with a max pool of 750.
Resource boosts such as those from Membership now apply to Nanites.
Nanite income is tied to the warpgates, so it does not change with territory ownership or vary by continent. Players will always receive 50 nanites per minute.

So... gone is the last vestige of the strategic game to make way for more instant gratification gameplay.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: August 05, 2014, 05:55:42 am »

Actually, I'd interpret it as them cautiously approaching the new system by first seeing the effects that a unified resource will cause, and then moving on to causing more adequate gameplay.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: August 05, 2014, 06:23:26 am »

So... gone is the last vestige of the strategic game to make way for more instant gratification gameplay.

There's more on the way regarding nanites and resources.

At some point SOE wants to add variable nanite resupplies and resource harvesting and resupplying facilities as well. Who knows when that will happen though.

Can opponents see your laser sight? If so, is there a way to turn it off outside of doing it manually every time you start the game? Ditto for alternate fire modes - can I just set the 3x burst to default on the Jackhammer, or do I need to keep doing so?

Yes, the laser sight is visible. I don't think there's a way to turn it off and keep it off even after logging out.

I think fire modes are maintained but I don't really dink around with them so I don't know for sure.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: August 05, 2014, 06:54:45 am »

I believe you don't get nanites, if your hex is not connected to the warpgate. Combined with the removal of resources for XP earned, it will mean that cutting off a base from the WG will actually have an effect (eventually.)

So that's nice, at least.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: August 05, 2014, 08:33:14 am »

The nanite costs look okay, except that the Sundy is still undercosted.  Expecting a seven minute lifespan out of a MAX and ESF seems reasonable; ditto for MBT and nine minutes.  Too bad everyone knows a Harasser can't live for three minutes!  /complainaboutnerf

We have a long term goal to remove some of the excessive lethality in the game. The Liberator belly gun changes made last June were a step in meeting this goal. This goal is not just about reducing vehicle lethality against infantry, but lethality across the board (infantry against vehicles, infantry against infantry, aircraft vs infantry, etc).

I'm not sure I trust this bit.

At some point SOE wants to add variable nanite resupplies and resource harvesting and resupplying facilities as well. Who knows when that will happen though.

We can always hope for ANT runs.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:16 am »

I like how a "1/2" MBT will have a 4 minute down time after you kill it, no matter what. Conversely, a "2/2" can simply have the gunner pull his tank, and between the two of you, surviving 5 minutes will ensure there's always an MBT ready. A buff to organized vehicle crews, and a nerf to those who just drive around until a random hops in.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: August 05, 2014, 01:04:30 pm »

So, how do I actually unlock new guns now? Is it tied to the new achievement system? Because I can't seem to see any guns I haven't unlocked in the equipment menu any more.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: August 05, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »

The servers are kinda buggy ATM, took like 15min for the game to realize that I am in fact in an outfit. I think guns are just another aspect of this current bugginess.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 826