Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089896 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11070 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »

I really doubt the rumble seats in the Valkyrie are going to be useful for much beyond repair. We don't see many rumble seat Flashes or Harassers.

Some people will probably find it useful, but almost certainly not enough to cause a plague worthy of the nerf bat.
Flash and harasser seats are both limited by the lack of positioning on them. Plus, they both face backwards, which means when driving towards an enemy, the rumble seat can't do anything.

The reason I see the Lasher being an issue on the rumble seats of the Valk? From personal use over the past few days, it EXPONENTIALLY gets better when you can fire down on your target from above. The issue is of course cone of fire, and when your cone is aimed basically flat across, it hits a wide area. If you can aim downwards into a doorway, nothing is getting out of that door. If you have two kitted Heavies on a flyer, you can rain down death anywhere. Find a sundy surrounded by engies and semi idlers? Disco party. An emplacement of snipers that's keeping the zerg locked down? Disco party. Cover is the counter to the lasher, but from the air cover is far more limited.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:49 pm »

But the people on the ground can shoot the Lasher heavies off. And the Lasher doesn't have that good DPS, especially without direct hits, so the people on the ground will have opportunity to shoot back.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: August 13, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

But the people on the ground can shoot the Lasher heavies off. And the Lasher doesn't have that good DPS, especially without direct hits, so the people on the ground will have opportunity to shoot back.
Against good folk, yes. However, I've stood in a closed tower for maybe five minutes at a time against a foot zerg that kept clustering on a hillside across from the tower. Got a good 10 kills out of it too. The tendency I've seen when using the lasher tends to be Oh no a red indicator on my hud, run and hide, even if its minimal damage. It's why chasing away low skill ESF's is so easy. Oh crap I took a hit better boost out of this area and repair. Oh, it was just a sliver, lets go OH CRAP ANOTHER HIT RUN.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: August 13, 2014, 05:41:29 pm »

Against good folk, yes. However, I've stood in a closed tower for maybe five minutes at a time against a foot zerg that kept clustering on a hillside across from the tower. Got a good 10 kills out of it too. The tendency I've seen when using the lasher tends to be Oh no a red indicator on my hud, run and hide, even if its minimal damage. It's why chasing away low skill ESF's is so easy. Oh crap I took a hit better boost out of this area and repair. Oh, it was just a sliver, lets go OH CRAP ANOTHER HIT RUN.

That's because AA is pretty damn overpowered and unless you react instantly you are dead end even with that you are often dead anyways because you flew into a 100 meter death zone generated by an attentive skyguard.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: August 14, 2014, 03:05:08 am »

Do ammo packs on the ground replenish ammo for those in the rumble seats if you land on one? Could make for a nice little mini-airbase for continuous hit and run attacks.

Jump out, drop ammo pack, repair Valk, while your heavies get their disco lazors recharged. You could have a Valk base anywhere you can land as an engy. And two HAs and an engy make for a nice little strike force/AT team even if you stay on foot. With a Medic gunner perhaps?

Even if the heavies have to get out to restock, its not really a huge problem. Supa-flying tank to the rescue!
It's a game. Have fun.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: August 14, 2014, 03:14:15 am »

Or you could try to get an ammo pack stuck in the rumble seat. Heck, I managed to keep one on the hood of my lightning until it got blown up, and I got the occasional resupply xp when driving near friendly infantry.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:23 am »

They do indeed resupply people in rumble seats.

I've tried throwing the ammo pack inside the Valkyrie. It doesn't stick. Considering you currently have to tip nearly completely vertical or horizontal just to maneuver around, I don't think it ever could.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: August 14, 2014, 03:51:00 am »

Since a fair few people seem to be talking about the Valk:squad ratio, here's a fun little thing to try when it goes live.

Have 3 valks with engies as pilots, 6 heavies, gunners optional. No difference so far.

But now, find an area, throw down a mana turret (AI, not AT) with an ammo pack beside it. Get the other two engies to do the same, a hundred or so metres apart, in a nice little line. Then all jump in the valks and go marauding.

The upside? You've got a self-made resupply strip that you don't actually have to land at. Just swoop along the line of mana turrets (that should stand out due to shielding) and get pinged by all three ammo packs in succession, one after another. Spacing will have to be worked out, but you and your friends will all have their heavies nicely stocked, and you'll never have to set foot on the ground again. Ever. Unless you take damage of course.

Mana turret airstrips should look quite pretty at night I think. Perpetual aerial disco is go!

edit: Can you jump from a rumble seat to the pilot's seat? Or is it whoever pulled the Valk is the only possible pilot? I know you can go from pilot to gunner and back, but I'm not sure about rumble seat swaps. Because if you can, swap your engy to gunner, a HA to pilot, then the engy to rumble. Then repair on the fly. It would make having the gunner's seat open an advantage for seat shuffling. Never walk again. Ever.

edit 2: Also, are aerial shotguns any good as an anti-ESF/Valk weapon? Sort of like flak weapons for a Valk, just not. At least you won't miss entirely, and constant hit-pings do a fair bit to drive off air vehicles. A LMG/launcher combo is better, but even as an air-to-ground AI technique, aerial shotgunner might be fun.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:20:31 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: August 14, 2014, 05:29:18 am »

Pellet shotgun spread, travel speed and damage dropoff make them bad at damaging distant aircraft. Up close they can do some damage though. As you said it would not be too hard to land some pellets at long range though. Shotguns pellets look cool flying through the air too.

Rumble seats on the Harasser and flash are instant switch with the driver or gunner, so I'd guess it's the same on the Valkyrie. I'd rather they couldn't switch out and that repairs were disabled entirely from the rumble seat so you would see less empty or engy only rumble seats for the harasser but it's not that important I guess. Harassers feel like they are in a nice place now.

Also I was wrong about the new Canister. It seems pretty good, though I haven't gunned one yet. I was on my TR and VS characters while I was fiddling with useroptions and I was insta-killed a few times by it. I've also seen a lot of Vanguards while I was on NC that had canister on top, but I thought that was due them trying it out.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: August 14, 2014, 05:36:46 am »

LMGs make grand emergency AA pieces. Even with the starter LMGs (not just the godsaw) you can get some major damage on fighters...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: August 14, 2014, 05:57:39 am »

LMGs make grand emergency AA pieces. Even with the starter LMGs (not just the godsaw) you can get some major damage on fighters...

True. You need areound 170 LMG bullets (at least for TR MCG) to down a ESF so unless you are running extended mags you simply can't down a ESF in one clip... of course 2 heavies surely can but it required an utterly retarded or laggin/disconnected ESF pilot.
Self promotion below.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:08 am »

Yep. Still, just throwing some rounds into a ESF taking actual AA fire (or one that's smoking) can net you occasional kills. Sometimes I try to pester people away with them, but half the time it's some BR98 360 noscope ESF flier who has no issues finding and nuking me in a matter of moments... so yeah, I try not to shoot ESFs unless they are occupied.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: August 14, 2014, 06:16:24 am »

Organized squads take down ESFs with small arms fire pretty fast.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: August 14, 2014, 06:17:06 am »

And then theres the times when they decide to go after you, in the middle of nowhere, with noone else arround... And when they cant shoot for shit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: August 14, 2014, 06:19:28 am »

And then theres the times when they decide to go after you, in the middle of nowhere, with noone else arround... And when they cant shoot for shit.
They have rockets for that... and usually can get out if they get too low.
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 826