Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084896 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11370 on: October 03, 2014, 10:49:42 pm »

Tried to play it again, after dropping it a long time ago due to framerate issues.
"But surely they'll have fixed that by now!"
Spawn in. Get a whole 20 fps with nothing else around.
In a battle? About 10 fps.

Fuck. No game for me.

It's not quite so bad for me currently, except on Hossin. Indar is totally playable @ 35 fps alone, 25fps in battle, but Hossin never goes above 10fps.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11371 on: October 03, 2014, 11:58:45 pm »

It's useful for camping the point. Even against people with darklights.

How?

Sit on top of the capture console. Nobody will look unless it's accidental.

Seriously, 8 people on the capture point. I was at the mentioned position. I coordinated with my squad to throw an EMP down, had a friendly heavy concussion as well. Easy clear-out.

An even better spot is when you're outdoors. Just stand in the most conspicuous place possible - Basically no where near a wall or a corner. They'll never find you.

And I have to disagree with the Stalker being useless. I've gotten to the point where I can consistently pull a 2.5 K/D ratio with them most days. The trick is to get behind enemy lines and find a decent vantage point watching over their cover cover. Wait for your allies to hit the enemy, and when they run behind cover to recharge and heal, that's when you take them out. Otherwise it's a missed kill.

EMP grenades from behind are also a huge game changer. It's fun watching ranks melt in front of a friendly push. Or just rush into an enemy group after tossing one and one-hit as many as possible with a knife before hiding/dying.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: October 04, 2014, 12:29:44 am »

Stalker cloak is hilarious. Completely useless, but hilarious. I love just sitting on caps watching people, spamming LIVE FREE IN THE NC in the middle of VS hordes until someone runs back to the sundy for a darklight.

But yeah, it's only useful at useless things.
It's very useful actually, but only in smaller scale battles. Large scale battles, its really just good for getting in a good spotting spot. But in small scale fights? Its wonderful. Also, camping the vehicle terminal in a stalker cloak and headshotting people who are trying to get a tank.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11373 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:38 am »

Stalker cloak is hilarious. Completely useless, but hilarious. I love just sitting on caps watching people, spamming LIVE FREE IN THE NC in the middle of VS hordes until someone runs back to the sundy for a darklight.

But yeah, it's only useful at useless things.
It's very useful actually, but only in smaller scale battles. Large scale battles, its really just good for getting in a good spotting spot. But in small scale fights? Its wonderful. Also, camping the vehicle terminal in a stalker cloak and headshotting people who are trying to get a tank.
That's one of my best pasttimes. It's the most fun in Amp Stations but it's hard to get inside and into position before the shield changes owners.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: October 04, 2014, 07:00:44 am »

Whats your favourite weapons to use with stalker cloaks?

I like the Repeater. Silencer and laser, its got a high rate of fire and good enough accuracy up close which provides a very low TTK - its also free.
For longer range engagements I take the trusty Commissioner - headshot body + body shot = dead enemy.

Dont like the crossbow that much, slow projectile speed and a fast drop makes it unreliable to hit a target unless you catch them scratching their nuts.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11375 on: October 04, 2014, 08:07:37 am »

I use the Commissioner for the same reasons. Takes only 2 to 3 shots to kill. The crossbow is very situational, and sadly said situation doesn't appear frequently enough. I've never really used the Repeater, ditched it for the Commie as fast as possible.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »

Purchased the Fury for my wraith flash, was previously using the Kobalt, and this thing is awesome! I was a bit wary of spending 1k certs on a flash weapon of all things, but it was worth every penny. In the two hours I had to play with it, I killed two prowlers, three sunderers, two lightnings, two harassers, and a whole gaggle of other flashes. Seriously spooked a hovering Valk, too! Of course, it's also way, way more effective at close combat than the Kobalt and has the addition of splash damage, which net me at least one 3+ group kill.

Not sure why you'd use the Kobalt, it has a nice range, but... it's a flash. If you want to kill something, you better be in and out in a instant, so trying to take people out from afar is just skyrocketing your exposure for no good reason.

Anyone here regularly play fury wraith? Curious about what kind of loadout I should use.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: October 08, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »

Stealth, handling/speed chassis (choice along with the improved handling), 1.25x or thermal optics, wraith (duh) and fury (double duh).

Use a stalker infiltrator with explosive bolt xbow and EMP nades.

You know what to do. ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:28 pm »

I would go with nanite repair instead of stealth. If you take a bit of small arms fire you'll start smoking, and then you might as well not have a cloak. Well upgraded wraith cloak should give you plenty time to go in, get some kills and retreat to where you can safely decloak.

And yeah, fury is awesome, but for running over clusters of infantry I prefer the renegade. You can't really use a fury point-blank because the splash will kill you.

If you want to be serious about tank hunting, be sure to fully upgrade magazine size, because at last level two full clips in the rear can kill an MBT.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: October 08, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »

I pretty much wraith Flash exclusively, lately. Auraxiumed the renegade, and I'm working on the fury now. My current loadout is stealth and surger.

With the latest Flash handling buffs, you no longer need scrapper. I'd now recommend surger, with it you can drive over remarkably steep hills, to open up new flanking opportunities, and flanking is critical with such a lightly armored vehicle.

I find stealth to be very useful, as you can use it to conserve cloak when outside of line of sight, and helps you move around behind enemy lines and flank more.

I wouldn't recommend auto repair, particularly after the latest round of Flash buffs -- wraith now cloaks your smoke, so you can use it to escape and locate a sundy to class juggle and get repaired.

If you enjoy wraith Flash, I would recommend the renegade as your anti-infantry weapon, and the fury as the anti-tank weapon. Given the price of the Flash, it's trivial to spawn a new vehicle to switch loadouts as the situation requires.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: October 09, 2014, 05:32:11 am »

I've been playing with all three of the chassis in VR training - it doesn't seem like surger actually gives you more hill climbing ability, at least not in my tests. Surger and Scrapper would both get me up to the same point on one of the very steep hills, while Racer could get me all the way up. There may be a very slight benefit, but I'm not really sure if it's worth noting. Of course, you've obviously got a lot more experience with the flash, so it might be a case of VR training being a baddie or the specific incline not being compatible with what surger offers.

I really didn't like how Racer felt, though. Surger definitely felt the best - most notably, when the flash hit uneven terrain and all the weight shifted to one side, Surger kept both sets of wheels on the ground - and when it couldn't, the wheels would drop down very quickly. This made it much easier to control.

Scrapper didn't really seem to do all that much. It increased the turn speed so that instead of turning 360 in, say, 3 seconds, it did it in 2.7. It also reversed 5 kph faster than the stock chassis - which is, again, not really notable. The one thing it did do is make the breaks at least twice as effective - but I don't feel like there's a huge amount of benefit from stopping your flash faster.

edit: also needing to flank people really makes you appreciate how stupidly good magriders are.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:22:38 am by Rex_Nex »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: October 09, 2014, 08:14:34 am »

Haven't Played in a long time. But gonna be starting a Brand New Character on the VS Side...
Don't know which server though, could just stick with Briggs but I know that things are a little shitty there...
Any suggestions for server???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:22 am »

IIRC the only servers with a nicely sized playerbase are Connery and Emerald. Where are you at? Assuming aus because you were on Briggs - in that case you probably should go with Connery. I'd only recommend the other servers if your ping is too high to be comfortable (anything higher than 150 is pushing it, 200 is as high as I could ever go and not want to ragequit).

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: October 09, 2014, 06:45:37 pm »

Of course, you've obviously got a lot more experience with the flash...

Chassis selection is probably the thing I'm least experienced with, and they're a matter of preference more than any other upgrade, so run what you like the best.

The only direct test/comparison I can think of was driving a surger from Tawrich to Red Ridge along one of the little canyon things, which is pretty ridiculous. It's just one anecdote, but surger definitely gives you better hill climbing, at least for sustained climbs that you can't get over on sheer momentum.

Server pops are Miller/Cobalt/Emerald >> Connery >>>> Briggs, but that's heavily dependent upon the time of day. Briggs peaks at around 500 players, while the big three hit 2000 and Connery 1300-ish, but when Briggs is at 500, none of the others are at more than 600. Why not make three characters, one at Briggs/EU/Connery, and check out which one has the best ping/pop combination for you?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: October 09, 2014, 07:33:10 pm »

Do you like watching competitive Planetside? Do you think that even the idea of competitive Planetside is a joke?

Look no further!

The Farmer's League Invitational will be streaming its first matches tonight at 6:10 PDT and 6:55 PDT!

Up first is AC, an Emerald VS outfit, vs. The Dread Legion, a Connery TR outfit. Up next is Recursion, a Connery NC outfit, vs. 56th Recon Division (my outfit!), a Connery TR outfit.

Come watch at http://www.twitch.tv/ps2farmers and watch me get rekt by people much better than me at this game!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 826