Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085018 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11460 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:42 pm »

Changelog for the 30th

"Concussion grenade no longer detonates on impact and instead has the standard 3 second fuse"
This is both a good and a bad thing. I kinda feel instead it should activate a very short fuse on the first bounce, maybe 1 second. That way you could get it around corners easier, but still leave enemies less time to react.

"Anti-vehicle grenades now stick to vehicles and MAX units. This allows us to lower the radius of the grenade, so it less effective against infantry and more avoidable unless it is directly stuck on a target."
This is a very welcome change in my book, at least the sticking to vehicles part.

"PPA changes"
From what I've seen it's not a nerf, in fact it'll be even more annoying at close range. The main change is that you won't be able to snipe spam with it as easily, which is basically all we wanted.

The Striker and Spiker have changed. I don't use the Striker so I don't know how the changes affect it, but it seems to be more lethal now. Spiker now makes more sense with its charge up mechanic. I used the Lancer VS22 once and that thing's charge-up fired a single projectile, not multiple, and now the Spiker does too. It even has a small AOE, so it's also a pocket Lasher in a sense.

Oh, apparently Barets are a thing, and people are freaking out over them. I just want service caps that aren't cartoonishly huge. The NC one isn't as bad, but there's something about it I don't quite like and I can't put my finger on it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:52:52 pm by OzyTheSage »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11461 on: October 29, 2014, 05:57:06 pm »

The big thing with AV nades is their reduces splash radii, which means AV nades are not quite the solution to extremely clustered points that they used to be. People might have to spam frag grenades *gasp* on their heavies instead.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11462 on: October 29, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »

"Concussion grenade no longer detonates on impact and instead has the standard 3 second fuse"
This is both a good and a bad thing. I kinda feel instead it should activate a very short fuse on the first bounce, maybe 1 second. That way you could get it around corners easier, but still leave enemies less time to react.

The problem with concs is you could just throw them at someone and pretty much instantwin the fight. It's very hard to fight back when conc'd, and you cant avoid it. That's why it was changed. 1 sec fuse would be even worse, because you wouldn't even have to be in direct LOS for someone to do it to you.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11463 on: October 29, 2014, 06:48:30 pm »

I think the AV nade changes are great; people might actually use them against vehicles now.

Incidentally, it's going to feel GLORIOUS the first time I kill an ESF with a tank mine.  If you die to landing your lib/valk on mines, it'll be just hilarious for both killer and killed.

And TR getting some love?  What nonsense is this?  I thought everyone at SOE loved beating the TR with the nerf bat.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11464 on: October 31, 2014, 08:22:29 am »

I started playing a few days ago. Apparently I tried >1 year ago but didn't have a good enough PC. Anyway, free stuff for not playing for a year. Yay!

I feel useless. I can get a kill once every couple of respawns. I'm trying to determine if I can get better or if the gulf of experience between me and the longtime players is too great.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11465 on: October 31, 2014, 08:27:01 am »

You can get better; it's all about finding your place and sticking to your role.  Also, find a good squad; I suggest looking for outfit squads that are rolling around; they tend to be at least somewhat coordinated.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11466 on: October 31, 2014, 08:50:56 am »

Wrel actually made a pretty good video about the awful new player experience in this game. Death is something you should expect to happen very, very, very often. I also recently saw a video of a new time player with an attitude that stunned me. He was in a biolab fight (notorious for being slaughterhouses) and kept running out of the spawn room and dying, and he wasn't mad at all. He even flipped out and got really excited when he got his first kill, and when he did he couldn't stop playing till he got a few more. Unfortunately not everybody has that attitude but it was a fun video nonetheless.

The point is, as a new player, even if you've played FPSes before, you might not have the best time. You might get in a fight and shoot some guys, but finding where the next fight is can be difficult until you learn how to read the map, redeploy, follow a zerg, etc. Public squads may help a bit assuming you have leadership that communicates.

What server/faction are you playing?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11467 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:35 am »

What server/faction are you playing?

Terran Republic, US East (possibly 6). Part of my problem might be that we're all losers. Purple was steamrolling last I checked.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11468 on: October 31, 2014, 09:09:03 am »

I assume by "US East" you're referring to Emerald? If so I have a character on that I could hop on if you're playing, my in-game TR guy is ZulbanTR. I haven't played him in a while though. I think you can add friends even when they're offline.

Currently TR (Red) seemed to be considered the 'weakest faction.' When I play as NC (Blue) most of the time we have to go fight VS (Purple) because TR typically has less population/organization as the VS, and the VS seem to be higher battlerank in general.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11469 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:06 am »

^That is correct.  TR, especially in Emerald, is pretty beaten down right now.  NC's in the middle and VS is dominant, especially after about 11 PM Eastern.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11470 on: October 31, 2014, 11:13:18 am »

Like in every FPS, map knowledge is a big factor in PS2. And PS2 has some huge maps to memorize. Luckily, the bases tend to be very similar, but it's still going to take you a couple of months to get a good feel for where you can ambush people or get ambushed. Charging into a "fair" fight is never a good idea, always try to stack the cards in your favour. I suggest starting with LA, because jetpacks make it a lot easier to get a drop on enemies.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:14:51 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11471 on: October 31, 2014, 11:15:04 am »

Especially since similar assets are reused in multiple bases.  Like that big building in biolabs that's crescent shaped with the two bridges to the other half of it; it's used in many, many bases.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11472 on: October 31, 2014, 11:24:02 am »

that big building in biolabs that's crescent shaped with the two bridges to the other half of it
This may help. It shows and describes every building in the game. If you can recognize these then you should be set for most fights, as most fights are fairly close-in and involve bases... and these buildings. Sometimes the terrain itself is a factor, but not usually.

EDIT: I should mention that knowing the names of these building isn't very important, just the layout. I've never heard anybody in-game refer to the "Mez" as... the "Mez." More commonly the buildings will be referred to by what objective they hold at a particular base, be it a capture point or generator.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:31:03 am by OzyTheSage »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11473 on: November 08, 2014, 10:58:57 am »

I was going to hold off posting this until an update was closer, but there are some interesting and exciting new changes that I feel are worth mentioning.
New (actually from early beta) art director means new (old) art direction. (EDIT: I must say though, everything looks like the same shade of grey to me aside from the faction colors....)
1x and 2x optics on sidearms is coming
You can now wield your knife by holding the melee button down, allowing you to swing about twice as quickly. Once it's you you can press the firemode button to charge the knife up to deal ~1000 damage per swing (Don't know if this is only for the 'activatable knives' or not). They also apparently changed the way that knife swings are calculated, it used to 'fire' and invisible bullet that had an extremely short lifespan, but now it just detects the first thing in its path and deals damage. I don't know if this affects how the knives function or feel though.
Apparently they were/are testing automated turrets that will eventually be available for engineers, but I wasn't around for that. As far as I know they had to have a dev come in and plop some down at a base manually.

Biolabs may be getting a revamp soon
  • Auxiliary bases no longer hold teleports to biolab teleport rooms, they are now located at the very base of the lab where the vehicle bay was.
  • Biolab teleports can be used by any faction ragardless of ownership, and the teleport room shields have been removed, prepare for more grindhouse in this regard.
  • Jump pads are now located in between auxiliary bases, a little further away, and there are no return pads from biolab to auxiliary bases. You can't play jump pad tag anymore, you have to commit to the attack.
  • There are small platforms next to the jump pads now to help attackers help prevent defenders from coming out the door and killing all the attackers. Those landing pad doors are still going to be a mess though.

There might be more that I missed but I have work soon.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:01:58 am by OzyTheSage »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11474 on: November 08, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

Jump pads are now located in between auxiliary bases, a little further away, and there are no return pads from biolab to auxiliary bases.

Well, that blows...

I don't know why they don't just add more entrances to the damn things, too simple and sensible?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 826