Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3/LoTR discussion.  (Read 36885 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »

The fallen tooth? Wish I could say it was a reference, but rares and higher always give one (or more) in normal and iirc there's only two crafting materials (tooth from rares and higher, dust from blues) in the entire of normal mode (where it's found) so it's probably a long stretch. Just feels unlikely, as much as I wish it was true.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:24 pm »

Obsidian axe!? Pff, everybody knows that 1) there are no obsidian axes in Dwarf Fortress and 2) Sankis killed with his burning fists.
You missed one bit:
3) Sankis was female. See here for proof.
Yeah, community LPs always have a bit of gender confusion going on. In Syrupleaves, they just pretended that all the female dwarfs with male players wear fake beards.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 01:14:32 pm »

The fallen tooth? Wish I could say it was a reference, but rares and higher always give one (or more) in normal and iirc there's only two crafting materials (tooth from rares and higher, dust from blues) in the entire of normal mode (where it's found) so it's probably a long stretch. Just feels unlikely, as much as I wish it was true.

for someone who doesn't play diablo (1, 2 or 3) it looks like a reference. Oh well, would have been funny
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:02 pm »

Actually it is quite common in all fantasy settings for Dwarven women to have the capability to grow beards. Even in Lord of the Rings, Gimli states that many humans don't know that Dwarven women exist because their beards make them look like men.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »

I think it was Aragorn who pointed out that it's because of the beards. At least in the movies, can't recall that part from the books right now  :-\

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:21 pm »

for someone who doesn't play diablo (1, 2 or 3) it looks like a reference. Oh well, would have been funny

But... The entire axe is a bloody reference!!

I think it was Aragorn who pointed out that it's because of the beards. At least in the movies, can't recall that part from the books right now  :-\
Nah, was Gimli

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:42:34 pm »

Obsidian axe!? Pff, everybody knows that 1) there are no obsidian axes in Dwarf Fortress and 2) Sankis killed with his burning fists.
You missed one bit:
3) Sankis was female. See here for proof.
Yeah, community LPs always have a bit of gender confusion going on. In Syrupleaves, they just pretended that all the female dwarfs with male players wear fake beards.
I thought female dwarves were bearded by default anyway?
Nyo Ho Ho!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 01:48:21 pm »

I thought female dwarves were bearded by default anyway?
Not in Dwarf Fortress! Luckily, it's very easy to mod them.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 02:11:51 pm »

I seem to recall that female dwarves _were_ bearded in earlier versions, perhaps before 0.31.x? I'm not entirely sure.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »

Certainly in .31 onwards, female Dwarves are not bearded by default

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 03:05:42 pm »

Nah, was Gimli
In the books? 'Cuz I could sware it was Aragorn who mouthed "It's the beards" to Eowyn as he stroked his chin while on the way to Helm's Deep in the movies.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 03:52:36 pm »

Nah, was Gimli
In the books? 'Cuz I could sware it was Aragorn who mouthed "It's the beards" to Eowyn as he stroked his chin while on the way to Helm's Deep in the movies.
beards

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

0:13. Aragorn and "It's the beards."

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 04:18:41 pm »

beards

And the only thing going through my mind was "GUN SAFETY/DAT AXE!". Truly a dwarven example of how to handle an axe when surrounded by little children and the elderly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:46 pm »

0:13. Aragorn and "It's the beards."
I kinda watched it before I linked it ya know :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7