Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 389389 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3180 on: August 07, 2017, 02:12:08 am »

Thinking of just fusing two ideas together in a organic way.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: August 07, 2017, 05:17:30 pm »

Setup: It is looking like. Shadow Among Stars by Chubby2man. With two starting options.

Start as a pre existing side with name and resources.

Second? You make up your faction by  votes.

The oc/sign up/ discussion thread will be called Lire thread as back up info will be placed there.

The game thread wil have game stuff.
M
PLO: Big ole space Empire falls apart into clans. Said clans is n turn govern themselves. Be a self governing clan trying to make it in a chaotic Galaxy. No aliens either but no n humans exist in form of AI, gene mod humans and etc. Akin to Battletech but more options.

Players will be like Shadow. A npc clan ruler. Played by me. Can be I've thrown, just good luck trying.

Four Commanders-
1: Battle Marshal: Barks orders, units may or may not follow depending on rolls by track record ord and methods.
2: Fabricator: Gives orders to what gets produced by tech level, resources and such.
3: Diplomat: Talks to npcs.
4: Master of Arms: Personally handles out who gets what equipment wise.

They all share resource quota list of man power and resources/ goods.

Everyone else are researchers ( up to 5-8) and unlimited operatives.

Operatives add bonus to their units missions as point men based on character build.

Should be noted each character can have up to four advantages but must take up to four disadvantages (no list. Some creativity needed.)

As for research: It will be Chubby2mans die system. Max bonus toward a prototype working is +3. And in a twist with research there will be a tech web.

Nine subjects.

Construction, Chemistry, Computers, Biology, Social Science, Physics, Energy Fields, Propulsion , and Power.

But yeah in science there can be hybrid tech if a feasible way to mesh two techs to make a new subject. Also research topics n said field repeatly cuts down research rolls/easier and if multiple scientists sets do same topic it goes faster.

And stuff happens, we deal with it. My job will be roll machine, mission giver, protect myself while given ng myself stats and lastly.'
Hunting down Clans and Clan rules via create.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: August 07, 2017, 06:10:15 pm »

DivideByZero, I'm pretty sure that, in a hexagonal grid, there's a specific way to determine tangental motion. In neither image of yours, your "tangental" motion wouldn't actually just be tangental. It may be a little hard for me to explain without images of my own, so I'll just paint a picture in your mind. Imagine one time on the grid, and mark all tiles adjacent to it. Call this a "circle" of radius 1, based on how all "points" on it (marked tiles) are 1 tile away from the center tile. Then, move all tiles 1 tile away from it. The west tile goes west, the northeast tile goes northeast, and so on. These now make the point of a circle of radius 2. And so on. Any tile between two neighboring points on the circle is an "edge" of the circle. Points on the circle are obtained by moving the radius amount of tiles in one of the six directions, while edges involve moving the total amount of the radius in two adjacent directions (nearest directions clockwise and counterclockwise). If a character is on a point of a circle, moving directly toward the center is non-tangental (let's call it direct speed/motion)forward motion, adjacent directions are tangental, and all others are direct away backward. If on the edge of a circle, moving toward a point on the circle would be tangental motion, while all others would be direct motion.

Yeah, confusing. Here's another way of putting it; Imagine a line going from the moving character going in each direction. If the center is on one of those lines, moving directly toward it on the line is direct forward motion, the adjacent directions are tangental, and the others are direct backward. If the center, instead, is between two of those lines, then those directions are direct forward, and the two directions adjacent to them (and not themselves) are tangental. Is that clearer?

Anyway, I think it's rather limiting to have most AoEs need to be skills. There are several simple ways to classify them, which can be used by weapons. As examples: Sphere X (target tile and all tiles up to X away from it), Ring X (target tile and all tiles exactly X away from it), Line X / X-Y (Target tile, X tiles in one direction from it, and Y tiles in the opposite direction), Ray X (all tiles X away from user in a certain direction), WideRay X / X-Y (All tiles X away from user in certain direction, as well as all non-user tiles adjacent to them except in that specified direction for the first Y tiles).
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: August 07, 2017, 09:00:12 pm »

Right got some ideas well two, for a party based RPG thing.

Operation Arulco
Yep the plot of Jagged Alliance 2, your a team of hired mercenaries sent to free the small country of Arulco from the clutches  of the evil queen Deidranna.
I'm not keen on going purely based on rules, but i'm thinking that Twilight 2000.

Some unnamed as of yet space adventures type thing.
The basic idea is that group of condemned criminals are used to salvage  some space junk/battle field and come across some kind of liveing bio ship thing.
It promptly kidnaps then as it need's a crew, not any sentimental reasons but to do all sorts of practical tasks.
but i'm not sure what players would get up to, i need some kind of main task other then flying around, tradeing and picking fights.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: August 08, 2017, 03:44:08 am »

DivideByZero, I'm pretty sure that, in a hexagonal grid, there's a specific way to determine tangental motion. In neither image of yours, your "tangental" motion wouldn't actually just be tangental. It may be a little hard for me to explain without images of my own, so I'll just paint a picture in your mind. Imagine one time on the grid, and mark all tiles adjacent to it. Call this a "circle" of radius 1, based on how all "points" on it (marked tiles) are 1 tile away from the center tile. Then, move all tiles 1 tile away from it. The west tile goes west, the northeast tile goes northeast, and so on. These now make the point of a circle of radius 2. And so on. Any tile between two neighboring points on the circle is an "edge" of the circle. Points on the circle are obtained by moving the radius amount of tiles in one of the six directions, while edges involve moving the total amount of the radius in two adjacent directions (nearest directions clockwise and counterclockwise). If a character is on a point of a circle, moving directly toward the center is non-tangental (let's call it direct speed/motion)forward motion, adjacent directions are tangental, and all others are direct away backward. If on the edge of a circle, moving toward a point on the circle would be tangental motion, while all others would be direct motion.

Yeah, confusing. Here's another way of putting it; Imagine a line going from the moving character going in each direction. If the center is on one of those lines, moving directly toward it on the line is direct forward motion, the adjacent directions are tangental, and the others are direct backward. If the center, instead, is between two of those lines, then those directions are direct forward, and the two directions adjacent to them (and not themselves) are tangental. Is that clearer?

Anyway, I think it's rather limiting to have most AoEs need to be skills. There are several simple ways to classify them, which can be used by weapons. As examples: Sphere X (target tile and all tiles up to X away from it), Ring X (target tile and all tiles exactly X away from it), Line X / X-Y (Target tile, X tiles in one direction from it, and Y tiles in the opposite direction), Ray X (all tiles X away from user in a certain direction), WideRay X / X-Y (All tiles X away from user in certain direction, as well as all non-user tiles adjacent to them except in that specified direction for the first Y tiles).

Hmm, what I'm thinking after reading your post is:

Step 1: Update player motion.

Step 2: Draw circle and trace a direct path from the original position, find out where the direct path would have intersected the circle

Step 3: Since the new position is 1 unit away from the intersection point on the circle, the target's Tangent Speed was 1 this turn.

EDIT: Then again, I don't think Tangent Speed is actually used for anything in the system... he he.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:04:51 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: August 10, 2017, 04:09:11 pm »

My oversugared brain decided that bashing several older forumgames of mine together (Tribal Conquest, Era of Diesel) with certain aspects of Fiefdoms at War, and spicing it up with Magical Fantasy setting, is today's utmost priority, and uh...

About eight hours later, I got this:

>>THE WARLOCKS<<

Spoiler: Rules and Stuff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Low (Base) Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: High (Divine) Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research Topic List (click to show/hide)

What do you think?

Proofreading and nitpicking very much welcome, as well as suggestions and new ideas (I hope to make it detailed, but not overly complex).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:30 pm »

Is 'research mana' different from 'casting mana'?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: August 15, 2017, 12:11:56 am »

Well Clans bombed horribely. Not w thinking just doing Space Pangaea. In terms of stuff with elements of Shadow of the Stars.

And yes has research but no research web/tree. Just make up your own stuff. Next thread will have a tribe creation list. In terms of gear, bonus and what makes up your armed services.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:23 pm »

Two things:

1: We the players are in charge of a interstellar legion. Various sides to pick, and options to equip said forces before game starts.

Two:

Pangaea, in space. With no magic, and a interesting tree he build system before acting n starts.

Either way not a suggestive n game, as the legion game will be akin n to arms rac against npcs.

Tribe, players are a council judge st out making sure their way out f life of s preserved.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:21 pm »

Speaking of such, this makes me wonder if if it would be a good idea to have a game that runs like Igynpadca, but, instead of being based on a fictional video game, it takes place in a fantasy world (or it could be sci-fi or whatever) where the players' characters have access to some sort of magical messenger board where they can talk with each other about their adventures and possibly meet up (I believe a thing like this actually exists in-game in the lore of Shadowrun, btw). Would people be interested in such a thing?
Just to let you know, I just made a game based on this idea I had earlier in the thread.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: August 20, 2017, 03:34:01 pm »

A Magical Princess School where players are teen-aged Magical/Princess/Both girls attending a school for proper royal tutoring reasons before edgy, civil war, politicks and eldritch abominations-rich plot crashes in.

It would run on 3 'ratings' for the girls; Combat Rating, Crafts Rating and Casting Rating, for combat, crafts and magics respectively. The system would use 1d100 die where you need to roll under difficulty number. If your Rating is ways above Difficulty number, you get a bonus. If ways under, a minus to the roll.

Goal: Survive the chaos of civil war Graduate the Magical Princess Girl Academy and ascend to the throne of your respective Kingdoms! Easy peasy.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:14 pm »

Thinking of a arms race against npcs. Space themed. Research and development plus tactical phase. And based on faction creation notes get units/tech at start based on choices.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: August 30, 2017, 08:27:41 pm »

Ideas:

1: Pangaea, in space. With three difficulty settings, arms race style research, and plenty of situations as your to keep your world under your rule and expand to rule solar system.

2: Company Commander: Pick a side. Loyalist, Rebel, Eegenade, Merc, or Pirate. Each have different plots. Pick options for side creation. Has arms race deal yet again. Kinda like Prometheus, but with bigger scale. Can pick alien side (one of six) for a simpler game though. Still arms race, but less choices.

3: Archon: In this a Archon is a being created by a deity like being to rule over humanity. Your a Archon, given a section of life to rule. Be prepared to be the bad guy or noble rebel. A suggestion adventure.

Magic is based off Marvels Infinity stones. Power, Soul, Space, Time, Mind, and Reality. Each field affects different things.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:55 pm »

How about Arms Race + Infinity Stone concepts? Every player picks two secretly, and makes secret revisions to /creations of uses of either power? Only they and the GM know about them. Each concept is also a faction, and all are competing on some map or world. Each player gains points for either of their factions winning, and Powers of either concept can be used to aid either of their factions. Excessive use of opposing faction magic can reduce faction's control of their own Concept, providing less benefit to players with that concept. Get what I'm trying to say? PMs between players should be allowed, and, if GM-sanctioned, can even share powers if both share the concept.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: August 30, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »

Infinity Stone Arms race? Like soul faction and Power faction and pm between pcs and such? Would do it if I had a map system in a P v P infinity arms race.

But was thinking of suggestion adventure to get people in mind set for such a thing.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 237