Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 60249 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Gothic, STALKER (the poster child), Metro, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Mount and Blade, Witcher 1 and 2, Crusader Kings, Arma series...

A specific kind of game with tons of ambition and great ideas that ends up coming out buggy, unpolished, and janky, landing somewhere on the spectrum between frustrating and lovable.  Usually European but there's American games that fit the definition too of course.  Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is American but it's eurojanky as fuck
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Seizure stuff (click to show/hide)

So if you're at risk for the topic in the spoiler, stay safe.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow that gameplay footage looks like an early unfinished build of borderlands or something.  I don't know what I was expecting but.... not that.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

Gothic, STALKER (the poster child), Metro, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Mount and Blade, Witcher 1 and 2, Crusader Kings, Arma series...

A specific kind of game with tons of ambition and great ideas that ends up coming out buggy, unpolished, and janky, landing somewhere on the spectrum between frustrating and lovable.  Usually European but there's American games that fit the definition too of course.  Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is American but it's eurojanky as fuck

...And why do you think American game-development companies don't have this either? The major American RPG house, Bethesda, is LITERALLY known for its extreme buginess and jank; mostly due to their decidedly outdated engine. EA with disasters like Mass Effect: Andromeda, not to mention all their buggy as hell Sports games that literally never get fixed. To say its only "usually European" is funny to say the at least. I think its more smart to attribute it to game development as a whole across the spectrum.

EDIT:

Also seizure stuff put deliberately in the game? WTF
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:38:58 am by Lidku »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...And why do you think American game-development companies don't have this either? The major American RPG house, Bethesda, is LITERALLY known for its extreme buginess and jank; mostly due to their decidedly outdated engine. EA with disasters like Mass Effect: Andromeda, not to mention all their buggy as hell Sports games that literally never get fixed. To say its only "usually European" is funny to say the at least. I think its more smart to attribute it to game development as a whole across the spectrum.

EDIT:

Also seizure stuff put deliberately in the game? WTF

I think it's more a matter of the way the game feels. Specifically with stuff like STALKER and Mount and Blade, it's a very particular kind of systems-forward game that has a lot of ambition and love put into it as well as niche interest fulfillment. Bethesda games come kind of close, but for games to just be buggy isn't enough - it's more that the bugs are part of the charm? At least that's my interpretation of it.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Seizure stuff (click to show/hide)

So if you're at risk for the topic in the spoiler, stay safe.

I'm not at risk but I absolutely hate rapid flashing lights anyway, I hate it when games do it and that sounds like a big middle finger to me indirectly, srsly who thought it was a good idea to effectively put the player through that every time they presumably do something that'll be important to the plot.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Up until morrowind maybe. Skyrim is too streamlined, gothic and stalker had insane immersion by not taking the player by the hand, and only walling off zones by difficulty, they are among the handful of games I finished more than once. Those games are called janky because they're from a time with less comfort of life features, and they had their own logic of solving these things. Skyrim on the other hand is littered with possibilities to raise your stats several orders of magnitudes above a "normal lategame char", I do see a difference. Not to mention that writing and voiceacting was supercool in gothic and stalker, whereas in Skyrim 95% of NPC are called whatshisface. You better not be talking smack around the old camp or Gomez and me are gonna mug you and you will consider yourself lucky if we don't leave your carcass for the meatbugs.

I'm thinking about acquiring a new sbc (x86 this time, rock pi x isnt the price of an actual laptop), that baby might just run those kind of games if w10 doesn't act annoying ::) but I shouldn't be spending money, but like, in that scenario gothic having to be played by keyboard can actually be a selling point.
let

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i want to add the gothic series to the eurojank discussion. gothic 3 is a prime excample of eurojank, where bugs an unbalanced gameplay and with huge performance issues at launch crippled a very amtitious game that fixed is a great rpg.
another example is the X series. X4 foundations is currently in the state of being a great game, crppled by performance issues and slightly incomplete features.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I feel like the Witcher shed the trappings of Eurojank with Witcher 3. Witcher 2 had less Eurojank going on than Witcher 1, while you could still feel there was something slightly...off about it.

Witcher 1 is the height of Eurojank.

I've come to realize though, now that a name has been put to it, that I like Eurojank. There is something refreshingly honest about it. "We're going to make this big stupid detailed game but it's made by humans so it's going to be quirky and janky." As far as CP2077 goes though, I imagine other than release bugs (which every game has), it has shed a lot of the Eurojank trappings in favor of broad-based accessibility.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Giant Bomb has a long talk about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8en7gqsBz4
Stick it back in the oven for a year.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

My expectation is and has always been for a large RPG set in a cyberpunk setting, sounds like that is exactly what it is. I think a lot of people have blown it out of proportion, much like when Spore came out. Happens in overhyped games.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tbh i doubt this one will be overhyped.
all the reviews LOVE the game despite the bugs.
some say its keanu reeves best role...

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tbh i doubt this one will be overhyped.
all the reviews LOVE the game despite the bugs.
some say its keanu reeves best role...

well despite the uninteractive world, the city looks beautiful and amazing. Especially on a high end pc, the game graphics really take off.

Though the bugs. From my understanding is...there is bethesda buggy...and there is THIS. Watching that that jeff and jack video giant bomb video, and it seems they'd be enjoying the game a ton more if not for the bugs. And both played really buggy games (including bethesda), but the bugs are almost too much for even them.

Though cant keep delaying a game, gotta release it at some point.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tbh it was not bugs that made bethesda games unenjoyable for me, but shallow stories and even shallower gameplay. i can forgive a lot when the core game interests me. bethesda just tries to sell me the same cake with different topics over and over again.
however buggy cp77 might be, i am sure it will be a very inovative game.

in any case, its always an option to wait for the first expansion.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:18:10 pm by motorbitch »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

tbh it was not bugs that made bethesda games unenjoyable for me, but shallow stories and even shallower gameplay. i can forgive a lot when the core game interests me. bethesda just tries to sell me the same cake with different topics over and over again.
however buggy cp77 might be, i am sure it will be a very inovative game.

in any case, its always an option to wait for the first expansion.

Exactly. This is my thought on recent Bethesda games to.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 42