Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP  (Read 63529 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:41:25 pm »

So they showed this up at the E3, looks pretty interesting. Pretty impressive that they managed to keep this project secret so far into development.
Video: http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogsgame/en-GB/home/

Looks like a cross between Deus Ex and GTA, at least from what the demo have shown. It's not very clear at the moment if it's an open world or a semi-open one à la Deux Ex:HR. The hacking mechanics seem well thought out, can't wait to see more gameplay applications. If they keep it somewhat realistic, it will be a very interesting setting.

Edit>> Additional content:
http://dotconnexion.ubi.com/performance.html

There's a new trailer and release date out: November 22 this year.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:52:19 pm by Drakale »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »

If that wasn't scripted then this will be an instant purchase.  The NPC behaviour looks phenomenal.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:50 pm »

Yeah, holy shit.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:55:40 pm »

Game being awesome is irrelevant if Ubisoft still has the same attitude in regards to DRM.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:59 pm »

the demo video looks like it's scripted with the intent of looking unscripted, but I want to be optimistic.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:00:38 pm »

Well obviously it's doctored like all E3 demonstrations ever, the concepts look sound and fun however. Also, please don't start arguing about DRM here, it's really not the time nor place for that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:23 pm »

I can't help but make jokes about the name and DRM.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »

Yes, please, for the love of Jegus, let's keep the discussion about the game.

Looks really fucking rad, but I'm starting to wonder if this focus on vigilante justice lately (DeMarco was "acquitted" for something) isn't indicative of something in the zeitgeist.  I'd like to see something like this explore the kind of insanity behind what the protagonist is doing, instead of glorifying it.
Shoes...

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:22 pm »

You mean Zeitgeist as in collective consciousness and all that Jazz? Might be, there is a strong ghost in the shell vibe in the trailer's intro.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:30:35 pm »

ohgodthislooksawesome

I once dreamed of playing a game where your character was some sort of psychic and you went around screwing with people just to watch their reactions. At a train station you'd lower some brochure-browsing tourist's awareness to make them not notice they were about to walk off the platform, only to pull them back and be thanked profusely. Then you'd board the train and there'd be one of those annoying pricks that blather on loudly on their cellphone, so you'd place the suggestion in his/her head to suddenly start yelling multiple obscenities; which would more or less end that phone call. And then when you disembarked, you'd pass by the train security station and notice a loaded firearm, so you pyro-kineticize the bullets and send everyone scurrying for cover.

And stuff like that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34:14 pm »

If that wasn't scripted then this will be an instant purchase.  The NPC behaviour looks phenomenal.
No one is really sure. People have pointed out ways that it could be both scripted and unscripted. So unscripted is possible, and if true, amazing.

I for one am looking forward to The Boondock Saints meets GTA meets Splinter Cell meets Deus Ex, all probably set around 2015 or so. Given that AR is starting to take off this year, that would probably be a good year to set this in.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »

Most importantly right now: it is new IP that is getting a PC port, praise the maker.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:33 pm »

Most importantly right now: it is new IP that is getting a PC port, praise the maker.

Better yet: that gameplay couldn't run on the PS3/360. Joystiq even made an article about how one of their writers thought that it was going to be released in next-gen consoles because of how good it looked. It's probably the PC version running that.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:13 pm »

This looks potentially amazing, I'm actually sceptical just because it seems too good to be true.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 11:51:26 pm »

The cars crashing together looked completely scripted, but I have hope that that's only one of multiple possible ways to get that guy, maybe there could also be a stealth approach that would involve murdering less innocent people but overall it looks pretty good.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37