Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489806 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE and the Higgs!
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2012, 10:15:32 am »

What did they say about radio waves, electricity, and the like?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2012, 10:19:15 am »

You can find the answer to your question seven posts before this one.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2012, 10:21:13 am »

Pretty much any breakthrough ever has been met with people saying it was a waste of time and useless. Each and every single time these people have ben proven wrong, yet people still make the claims and no doubt will continue to do so. Hell, the head of IBM once predicted that there would be a world market for 4 (yes, four) computers.
This is a blank sig.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2012, 11:09:42 am »

Pretty damn convincing hallucination! Does that mean that all of you are mere by-products of my mind?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2012, 11:18:33 am »

Pretty damn convincing hallucination! Does that mean that all of you are mere by-products of my mind?
No, everyone is still Pathos.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2012, 11:44:29 am »

no, it's a shared hallucination.

we're all mentally linked and hallucinating!
OH MY GOD, IT'S THE MATRIX!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:10 pm »

Irony: this post is now on the internet, which was first implemented by a CERN CompSci looking for an easy way of distributing scientific data between people working in different areas of a vast site.
Pedantic: "The Internet" isn't "The World-Wide Web".

HTH, HAND. ;)

(The point stands, I suspect.  I don't imagine there'd be quite as many adverts with "Enter our competition: just go to rec.food.macdonalds and post why you like us so much!", or "Gopher us at 50.57.34.52 to get better deals on your holidays!", or "Send an email to promos @ couponplace.com with the subject 'I Want Free Stuff!', to get printable vouchers by return!", or "archie.google.com - *the* place to find things!".  And would anything like Facebook or Twitter[1] have arisen, perched upon some other 'OSI level 7/8' medium, in a non-webby world?  Although Gopher might have done much better, if it hadn't been out-competed for various reasons[2].)

[1] Actually, potentially Twitter might have done, being in part derived from the ideas behind SMS technology (circa 1985, IIRC), but without the same popularisation of "The Internet"/"The Web", would there have been the same drive for the current complexity of data communications possible on mobile devices (and thus the devices themselves)?  Probably no AndroidOS, of course.

[2] I gophered quite a bit, in the early days, but then there was the whole different approach to IP which meant that by the time the 'AOL' set had had their fill of a now 'Eternally-Septembered' Usenet, the Web was the way to go... Well, it's all speculative.  You know all the books about "What would have happened if WW2 had ended up differently"?  Well, I imagine that in 50 years or so, there'll be (online, interactive, dynamic) speculative fiction written about a non-W3 'history'. ;)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »

To be fair, "big science" discoveries like the Higgs particle is unlikely to have any contributions to tech itself; we're not going to get Higg's powered batteries (they last e times longer!) or anti-gravity from this.

That doesn't mean there isn't a return on investment though.

There are two potential sources of innovation here; the most immediate is improvements arising from the techniques used to make the experiment possible. In beamline sciences, that means things like improved superconductors and magnets, better data processing techniques, improved computer hardware, and improved radiation sources. If those things don't sound important to you, pray that you never need to have MRI or PET scans; it was beamline science that made those possible.

Additionally, there are the theoretical understandings, the benefits of which have been explained well enough by other posters before me.

Plus, you know, it's really really cool!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »

[Whoops, double-post.  Probably because of my second, third or fourth click on the button when I thought it wasn't responding.]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:52:31 pm by Starver »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2012, 12:37:34 pm »

Booyah!

Now it's a scientific theory.

Powah of dah houmans

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:07 pm »

Now, let's build us some Mass Relays.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2012, 04:55:39 pm »

They run on Handwavium.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2012, 04:58:26 pm »

And the money of gamers
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:53 pm »

Mass Effect is downright realistic when you compare it to Star Wars or Warhammer 40,000, so don't even go there :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 339