Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490692 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #525 on: June 30, 2013, 06:20:32 am »

Looking at those launch (2022) and arrival (2030) times, i hope that we have some astounding successes soon. I presume you all have had to live through some lengthy waits. What was it like when the spacecraft finally arrived?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 30, 2013, 08:26:47 am »

Well, you know. Cassini was launched in 1997, and the mission will end in 2017, when the probe crashes into Saturn.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 30, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

Well, you know. Cassini was launched in 1997, and the mission will end in 2017, when the probe crashes into Saturn.

Thanks for mentioning this, I'd forgotten as to what took the titan pictures I'd seen.
Reading a thinner book

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 30, 2013, 09:45:55 am »

Go to Europa you fools! YOU FOOLS!

Seriously, why haven't we gone there yet? The possible medical advances even provide the commercial aspect.

...what medical advances?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 30, 2013, 10:47:46 am »

Seriously, why haven't we gone there yet? The possible medical advances even provide the commercial aspect.

Alright, I'll admit i was going out on a limb there, but I'll be amazed if we find absolutely no use from the study of other forms of life.
Reading a thinner book

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 30, 2013, 10:48:58 am »

Alright, I'll admit i was going out on a limb there, but I'll be amazed if we find absolutely no use from the study of other forms of life.
...what other forms of life?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 30, 2013, 10:51:04 am »

*looks at you with your avatar*

Last i checked, Europa is our best bet for finding life in our solar system.
Reading a thinner book

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:28 am »

it might be our best bet, but chances to find anything useful aren't enough to consider the commercial aspects. find life first, and then maybe companies will start being interested in possible profits.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:56 am »

Right. But that does not mean that any life actually exists on Europa. Hell, last I checked we haven't even confirmed the hypothesis that there is liquid water there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 30, 2013, 10:57:33 am »

Not exactly. Earth's got a far better chance. There are also a decent chance on some of the other means.

Also, best bet, doesn't mean it's a good chance. Besides, there's like 20 km of ice** between you and any possible live, and if it exist, it will be unlike we have ever seen. We will get a whole lot more medical advances just developing for such an expedition*, than we will get from what we find.

*if we don't go for an automated probe.
**Current plan to get through is a nuclear drill. Ie, a controlled meltdown.

Right. But that does not mean that any life actually exists on Europa. Hell, last I checked we haven't even confirmed the hypothesis that there is liquid water there.
Pretty sure we did.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 30, 2013, 11:05:10 am »

I bet the hypothetical European lifeforms will love that...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 30, 2013, 11:08:09 am »

Like i said, out on a limb :P. Still, i wonder how much commercial interest you could get at a pinch, not that I'd want them to touch it first at any rate. I wouldn't be surprised if, say, asteroid mining picks up, for the involved companies to multitask.

Not exactly. Earth's got a far better chance. There are also a decent chance on some of the other means.

Also, best bet, doesn't mean it's a good chance. Besides, there's like 20 km of ice** between you and any possible live, and if it exist, it will be unlike we have ever seen. We will get a whole lot more medical advances just developing for such an expedition*, than we will get from what we find.

*if we don't go for an automated probe.

Pretty sure we did.

So we have confirmed it? Also, i knew someone would be pedantic (and in this case, depressingly, rightfully so) :P. I dispute that point on medical advances, in the long term at any rate.
Reading a thinner book

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 30, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »

I think there's a theory that the readings can be the results of "warm ice", an unusual configuration of solid water caused by the huge pressure. But as far as I know it doesn't have much support.
Europa is our "best bet", but nothing is certain. Far from it. The results of Vostok findings will certainly help to determine the probabilities though. (STAY TUNED)
And if we DO find something, it can be so alien we won't be able to make medical advances out of it in decades. Or not.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 30, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »

It would be awesome though. Which is enough for me.

I bet it's enough for the US and EU too.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 30, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »

It would be awesome though. Which is enough for me.

I bet it's enough for the US and EU too.

YUS

I think there's a theory that the readings can be the results of "warm ice", an unusual configuration of solid water caused by the huge pressure. But as far as I know it doesn't have much support.
Europa is our "best bet", but nothing is certain. Far from it. The results of Vostok findings will certainly help to determine the probabilities though. (STAY TUNED)
And if we DO find something, it can be so alien we won't be able to make medical advances out of it in decades. Or not.

I have no idea what Vostok is and thank you for telling me. TO GOOGLE
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 339