Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489840 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1320 on: April 10, 2014, 06:18:27 pm »

It looks (somewhat vaguely) similar chemically, so I'd guess it has the same mechanism of (in-)action.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 10, 2014, 06:36:10 pm »

Well, Zanamivir is also supposed to be a neuraminidase inhibitor, and seeing how well the other one works, we can make an educated guess that it's going to have the same utter lack of effect on the influenza virus. The problem is, have any papers on it's effectiveness in treating the disease  itself and not the symptoms been published? I found this paper that states that Zanamivir helps reduce the symptoms of influenza but doesn't investigate its effect on the disease duration and complications and also this paper, which claims that Zanamivir is "efficacious in the prevention of influenza" but has a significant source of random error in the described experiment as it measured the number of people who contracted influenza during the "influenza season" while taking Zanamivir and failed to consider any of the other factors that could influence the likelihood of a person contracting flu.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 10, 2014, 06:36:30 pm »

Putnam was saying that a single account (and a vague one at that) is less scientifically significant than carefully recorded large scale studies. Not to mention that a single case where treatment was supposed to prevent transmission entirely doesn't really make much sense even given the wildest claims for Tamiflu from the suppliers. I'd say it's possible given some of the fantastical statements made around it, but it's probably more a government misrepresentation (in assuring people they could deal with a pandemic) than a pharma argument.

Speaking of flu drugs, does anybody know what the scientific community think about a medicine called Relenza? Its marketed in Russia as an anti-influenza wonder cure, along with Tamiflu

Relenza is Zanamivir. It was covered in this same review and is a broadly similar drug. It seems to have fewer side effects than Tamiflu (oseltamivir in the studies) but these seems to be less data on the most at-risk groups (children and hospitalisations). So arguably a better drug if you want to cut a few hours off your time in bed with the flu (0.6 days on average, from 6.6 to 6) if you are an otherwise healthy adult, but still ineffective in a pandemic situation.

I remember the 'buttercup' thing that was marketed as a cold symptom suppressant that didn't work and, as a result, was taken of shelves.

How is this different? Is it a bigger company doing it or something?

Not quite sure what the case was there, but the only information I can find is where a suppressant was taken off shelves because it was too easy to overdose young children by ignoring stated doses. Completely different situation.

This one is a case where a drug was being pushed as a solution to an entirely valid potential problem (a flu pandemic) where it had absolutely zero value, meaning (in the UK alone) a half billion pounds worth of the stuff was stockpiled in a completely futile effort to save lives. It was pushed as such based on selective and limited information released by the producers, with other trial data being withheld even years after a call for it all to be studied. Frankly it's become a posterchild for the open-trials movement.

I'd recommend reading the entire original Guardian article I linked if you want the complete story. He gives a fairly comprehensive backgrounder. The Cochrane collaboration have also issued a press release. The bottom line is that, given the complete trial information, known only to the producing companies, the decision as to whether or not to stockpile these drugs may well have gone the other way. Projecting onto future public health decisions this has obvious and significant implications.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 10, 2014, 06:43:13 pm »

So Relenza works as well as Tamiflu does, nice to know. The paper I mentioned earlier is probably an attempt by the pharma companies to market it, then.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:08 pm »

Wouldn't spending less time with the virus in you be pretty crucial during an endemic, as it would (I assume) be able to spread to less people?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

So Relenza works as well as Tamiflu does, nice to know. The paper I mentioned earlier is probably an attempt by the pharma companies to market it, then.

Doing a quick search, it seems that trial wasn't included in the analysis. Suggests to me that the original data was never released by that one for whatever reason. Make of that what you will.

Wouldn't spending less time with the virus in you be pretty crucial during an endemic, as it would (I assume) be able to spread to less people?

The problem is that the evidence doesn't support that.

It reduces the symptoms, but not the time spent infectious. It's like popping a paracetamol. It might reduce the time you spend feeling crappy, even let you get back to work up to a day sooner (in itself not a terrible thing in a complete pandemic, where time out of work could be a significant economic cost), but doesn't change your viral levels in the slightest. The two biggest pandemic issues are mortality rate and infection rate. This doesn't seem to touch either in any significant manner.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »

Hopefully this upsets the public enough to get things changed in the pharmaceutical industry.

It reduces the symptoms, but not the time spent infectious. It's like popping a paracetamol. It might reduce the time you spend feeling crappy, even let you get back to work up to a day sooner (in itself not a terrible thing in a complete pandemic, where time out of work could be a significant economic cost), but doesn't change your viral levels in the slightest. The two biggest pandemic issues are mortality rate and infection rate. This doesn't seem to touch either in any significant manner.
Could cost more if you go back after feeling better, but are still contagious.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1327 on: April 21, 2014, 11:35:22 pm »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 22, 2014, 09:44:58 am »

All evidence is anecdotal. You just need a large enough sample size of anecdotal evidence.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:22 am »

All evidence is anecdotal. You just need a large enough sample size of anecdotal evidence.

No; anecdotal "evidence" is also lacking any controls, and cannot account for confounding or compounding influences, and further is pretty well never recorded properly. If there is no structure to an experiment, and the results are only half remembered (or even if just the wrong questions are asked), it is not evidence, and it is worthless.

Experimental design is absolutely fundamental, to make sure what you're testing is what you think, and to remove confirmation bias. That's true in all fields, but is a thousand times more so in anything that directly deals with living creatures.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 22, 2014, 10:45:18 am »

Bah. Fair 'nough :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 22, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »

Tamiflu report comes under fire

They argue that the analysis — an update by Cochrane — is based on randomized clinical trials (RCTs) of the drugs that lack sufficient statistical power to allow reliable conclusions to be drawn about the effects on flu complications and hospitalizations.

Do those people even understand how statistic works? You cannot prove a treatment is useless, you can just say that the current data doesn't let you detect an effect, which is exactly what is happening. We do not know if they reduce mortality.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 22, 2014, 01:33:40 pm »

It's more complex than that. They say that Cochrane's metaanalysis policy excludes studies that might provide interesting data. In itself it's not a bad point, for the record. Double blind trials are the "gold standard" for proof, but often, due to money,  sample size, time constraints, or circumstances, you might not have that kind of data.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »

Yeah, that's actually a good point, although it's the only good point in the whole piece.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 339