Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490916 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1380 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:05 pm »

Okay, I am making a transhumanism thread right now.

It technically should have no reason to go down in flames, as people who are willing to make illogical, insulting arguments solely in order to promote their agenda don't usually discuss transhumanism.

Just out of interest, what exactly happened to the last thread?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:58 pm »

It technically should have no reason to go down in flames, as people who are willing to make illogical, insulting arguments solely in order to promote their agenda don't usually discuss transhumanism.

Religion got injected.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: May 07, 2014, 09:54:03 pm »

Religion got injected.
Oh boy, that's usually lethal.

The transhumanism thread is open now, let's relocate this discussion there.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:13 pm »

Religion got injected.
Not entirely accurate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 07, 2014, 10:24:08 pm »

Religion got injected.
Not entirely accurate.
Fundamentalist zealot flamewar? Misinterpretation of a post leading to self-propagating indignation? Arrogant, proselytizing atheism?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: May 07, 2014, 10:24:48 pm »

I'm just going to say that this is all a bad idea.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 08, 2014, 12:02:09 am »

Religion got injected.
Not entirely accurate.
Fundamentalist zealot flamewar? Misinterpretation of a post leading to self-propagating indignation? Arrogant, proselytizing atheism?

Why don't you just search the word "transhumanism" in the general discussion board and check?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 08, 2014, 04:23:44 am »

Well, due to timezones and work hours, it appears I missed this entire discussion.

However, I am very glad you all managed to pull yourselves back from the brink, and avoid turning this thread into a soulless-cyborg-vs-deluded-hippy flame war. Gold star for all of you!

(Tongue in cheek humour aside, it's always good to see both responsible discussion, and the community knowing when to branch a discussion that begins to leave the original thread's subject area.)

For future clarity, and just so we have a word from OP, this thread is for discussing the interesting (preferably breaking) news on major/minor/weird/cool science; while some expounding on the potential impact is of course welcome, if we start talking in-depth philosophy where any science involved is pretty much all in the someday science may be able to do this category, we're probably off topic.

With that said, have some science! The latest computational modelling shows we seem to have a pretty good idea of the *behaviour* of dark matter & energy; previous errors appear to be mostly due to what can basically be considered rounding errors due to lack of modelling resolution. Of course, we still have no damn idea what the stuff actually is, but eh, baby steps!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 08, 2014, 04:41:08 am »

With that said, have some science! The latest computational modelling shows we seem to have a pretty good idea of the *behaviour* of dark matter & energy; previous errors appear to be mostly due to what can basically be considered rounding errors due to lack of modelling resolution. Of course, we still have no damn idea what the stuff actually is, but eh, baby steps!
See, I knew my post on Illustria would be lost in the avalanche of all that immortality-craze.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:55:44 am by Il Palazzo »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: May 08, 2014, 04:47:46 am »

Oh hey, whoops, sorry about that :P

Ummmm, how about some synthetic bases (different from A, G, T & C) being injected into E. Coli, which then successfully reproduce them sound?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:51:24 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:25 am »

Ummmm, how about some synthetic bases (different from A, G, T & C) being injected into E. Coli, which then successfully reproduce them sound?
Very interesting and promising, but not exactly groundbreaking. Still, there are plenty of potential applications.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: May 08, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »

That sounds pretty awesome.
The idea of creating lifeforms so artificial that even their DNA has bases not found in nature makes me very happy.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: May 08, 2014, 01:09:21 pm »

Are there any useful proteins that can be built from this that couldn't be built before?

So far it just seems like playing God :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: May 08, 2014, 01:12:33 pm »

Hard to say, because proteins are already so versatile, and we aren't good enough with them to do much beside using natural domains so far. By the way, this technology is not the only one that would let use add more amino acids. Another team made a ribosome that can read quadruplet of bases rather than triplet. This again let your extend the genetic code.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: May 08, 2014, 05:00:38 pm »

The thing is that predicting what a given protein will look like in 3-D (and thus what it will or will not do) is reeeally computationally intense. So protein design isn't really practical right now...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 339