Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490885 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1950 on: October 18, 2014, 12:11:29 pm »

Humans are frigging filthy.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: October 18, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »

We're so filthy we contain as-of-yet undocumented genetic anomalies. Wow.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: October 19, 2014, 06:58:12 am »

It's not so much that as "Gene we don't know the species of". Saying it's a new branch of cellular life at this point is a stretch.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: October 19, 2014, 07:01:47 am »

It's not so much that as "Gene we don't know the species of". Saying it's a new branch of cellular life at this point is a stretch.

It's so much of a stretch the seams are bursting. Especially regarding Procaryota, the phylogenetic tree it tangled as all hell due to horizontal gene transfer.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: October 19, 2014, 07:05:34 am »

Although it wouldn't surprise me that much to have a bunch of tiny, 1- or 2-species Domains around. As things are, it always seemed to tidy for me.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: October 19, 2014, 10:46:12 am »

I think the big existing evolutionary trees are because of extinction events. Life gets reduced to a few species, then things branch off of those species to fill the niches.

Although it wouldn't surprise me that much to have a bunch of tiny, 1- or 2-species Domains around.

I think we used to stick those in Protozoa, but I looked it up and apparently it doesn't exist anymore and has been split up into several clades.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:50:18 am by penguinofhonor »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: October 19, 2014, 10:56:03 am »

True, but if you look at for exemple, the phylum level within Animalia, you got a few big ones (Arthropoda, Chordata...) with millions of species, and then stuff like Placozoa or Xenoturbellida which have only a couple species each. I'm surprised that higher taxonomical levels don't share this distribution.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: October 19, 2014, 10:56:25 am »

I think the big existing evolutionary trees are because of extinction events. Life gets reduced to a few species, then things branch off of those species to fill the niches.

Although it wouldn't surprise me that much to have a bunch of tiny, 1- or 2-species Domains around.

I think we used to stick those in Protozoa, but I looked it up and apparently it doesn't exist anymore and has been split up into several clades.

That, and evolutionary advantage. A large enough leap may cause the mutant to outcompete the other organisms in the niche massively.

And Protozoa had been integrated into Protista, along with the simpler photosynthetizing organisms that used to be considered plants. But even then, Protozoa had been, universally, eucaryotic, whereas the dark matter thingies are possibly at least in part procaryotic.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: October 19, 2014, 10:59:32 am »

Yeah, we're talking Kingdom-level, not Domain-level here. And Protista is just some kind of taxonomical dump zone where you drop eukaryotes that don't have their own stockpile. Once we've reorganized things properly, I suspect we'll again have a few Kingdom with an handful of species.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: October 19, 2014, 11:04:13 am »

Sheb, have you been bitten by Owlbread, or why do you want to split up everything?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: October 19, 2014, 11:08:35 am »

Although it wouldn't surprise me that much to have a bunch of tiny, 1- or 2-species Domains around. As things are, it always seemed [too] tidy for me.
... wouldn't you expect a system designed to be tidy to... be tidy? S'kinda' most of the point of the taxonomic system, innit? To make things look more organized?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:26:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: October 19, 2014, 11:13:03 am »

Yeah, we're talking Kingdom-level, not Domain-level here. And Protista is just some kind of taxonomical dump zone where you drop eukaryotes that don't have their own stockpile. Once we've reorganized things properly, I suspect we'll again have a few Kingdom with an handful of species.

I was actually thinking of Protista originally, not Protozoa. It definitely looks like a mishmash of smaller kingdoms.

Of course, in the direction taxonomy is going, if we ever properly reorganize things I doubt we'll be using the domain/kingdom/phylum system.

Although it wouldn't surprise me that much to have a bunch of tiny, 1- or 2-species Domains around. As things are, it always seemed to
  • tidy for me.
... wouldn't you expect a system designed to be tidy to... be tidy? S'kinda' most of the point of the taxonomic system, innit? To make things look more organized?

Haha, tell that to clades.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: October 19, 2014, 11:25:03 am »

Although it wouldn't surprise me that much to have a bunch of tiny, 1- or 2-species Domains around. As things are, it always seemed to
  • tidy for me.

Well, it's also supposed to reflect the underlying biological reality. Which is why it's always a mess, until you create a dump taxon (like Protista).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1964 on: October 19, 2014, 03:11:31 pm »

Saltwater potato farm is a pretty big deal. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 339