Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490918 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3060 on: April 13, 2015, 11:01:33 am »

You may want to be careful of the decay chain. I would not suggest eating it.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:56 am »

Could tattoos be used to inject a small layer of shock absorbant or futuristic bullet proof material?
That'd be cool, walk into the tattoo parlor,"Yes I would like a tribal chest padding, nothing too high grade just small arms resistance."
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: April 14, 2015, 07:34:48 am »

Inb4 reactive armor in tattoo form :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3064 on: April 14, 2015, 07:47:32 am »

Yeah, no matter the strength of the material that energy doesn't just vanish. Common methods of dealing with the kinetic energy of an incoming round is to disperse it across the body's surface so that no one area takes too much and thus the damage is limited. Unfortunately it's very difficult to do that efficiently.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:43 am »

Yeah, no matter the strength of the material that energy doesn't just vanish. Common methods of dealing with the kinetic energy of an incoming round is to disperse it across the body's surface so that no one area takes too much and thus the damage is limited. Unfortunately it's very difficult to do that efficiently.
That is basically what a bulletproof vest does, in fact - it's basically the right combination of elasticity and shock dispersion to spread out the energy around its surface so you basically get a strong slap instead of a very very strong stab of energy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: April 14, 2015, 08:50:28 am »

Yeah I know there be damages like that. Same thing happend with normal body armor.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3068 on: April 14, 2015, 09:10:33 am »

The reason I pointed it out was the earlier discussion of surviving an uncontrolled fall from orbit. An object with the mass of a person has a terminal velocity of something like 200 km/h. So what kind of energy are you looking at for a man-sized object (say 80 kilos) moving at 200km/h and impacting feet-down?

Because that energy would need to then be evenly dispersed across the body somehow. I haven't done the math but I suspect that even dispersing it evenly would cause significant damage.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: April 14, 2015, 10:09:47 am »

The person back there would weigh about  a ton...
and land flat not on the feet since the heaviest part of the armor is the midsection or maybe on the feet I don't know aerodynamics :p

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: April 14, 2015, 12:24:20 pm »

The idea I had was that the armor uses forerunner gravity bending tech, which reduces the acceleration curve of the falling object, since it weighs less (with the tech turned on, anyway).  As a consequence, keeping the human body size, while reducing effective attractional/inertial mass of the falling armored human, we basically get what happens with a feather falling.  The air is not without resistance, and is more like a runny syrup. You have to push the air out of the way in front of you to fall. Normally, gravity supplies ample energy to do this, but if your effective mass is less, then it may not.

Circumstantial evidence that john117's armor is mitigating its own weight:  A standard military pineapple grenade is enough to send him flying.  If he weighed the full weight of that armor, that wouldn't happen. ;)

In short, I suspect a great deal of the energy is released in the form of sound and heat on the way down from atmospheric braking, coupled with gravity bending technology.  This does not negate ALL of the gravity, just enough to survive re-entry.  The suit is only able to produce so much useful internal power you know.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3071 on: April 14, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

The fact that he can move at all while weighing close to a ton is ample evidence that there is magical weight reduction happening.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: April 14, 2015, 12:50:44 pm »

The fact that he can move at all while weighing close to a ton is ample evidence that there is magical weight reduction happening.
Power armor + super soldier strength.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:37 pm »

He would sink into the mud if it wasn't negating his weight.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: April 14, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »

I'm having an issue understanding the uncertainty principle. Is it really that the "true" position and momentum of say an electron is really uncertain in units of hbar, or that we just can't say anything about it since the forces that allow us to detect particles are all quantized and statistical? I know there's degeneracy pressure in neutron stars due to the uncertainty, but, again, that could be due to the forces being quantized.

If there was a fundamental particle that didn't interact through any quantized force, but only through direct collisions (and gravity, but I am of the opinion that gravity is a different type of force; one that isn't quantizable in the same way) and we could directly detect them somehow, we could describe it totally classically, right?

I'm mostly asking to get off the halo topic. I appreciate that we haven't talked about penises in awhile, but this topic is getting labored!
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 339