Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490851 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3270 on: July 26, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »

Spoiler: Waaaay ahead of you (click to show/hide)
Friggin' Yog Sothoth, photobombing New Horizons.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: July 26, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »

Did they really name one of the regions of Pluto after Cthulhu? It's called Cthulhu Regio, and it's in an image right above the video.
They've got a number of neat photos of mountain ranges, ice flows and other features on Pluto and Charon.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: July 26, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »

I was in an oncology course last week. We had many prestigious lecturers at the event (among them my former boss).

I *think* however, that the most interesting bit, and what I want to share with you, was the presentation made by a guy from the Pennsylvania university.

Basically, Novartis has thrown it's weight behind them and shit's getting real with CAR T- Cell therapy:

- The results for their anti-CD19 are looking sweet so far. In fact, they're starting a worldwide trial for it (this kind of thing requires lots of money... would have been impossible if Novartis hadn't stepped in)

- They're developing portable machines to prepare CAR T-Cells, as to be able to generate them in a more automated fashion, and make the whole thing cheaper and more avaiable for the general public

- They're also developing a procedure to generate new CAR T-Cell lines against new tumors in a more automated fashion

- They have started or are about to start clinical trials against 8 malignancies or so. Including several solid tumors.

- Furthermore, there's ANOTHER big company which has thrown it's weight in CARs: Celgene is developing it's own anti-CD-19, and there are two large institutions (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and... some other) working a lot in this stuff as well.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: July 26, 2015, 08:44:33 pm »

Is this 'cure for cancer' tier or 'better than chemo' tier or 'at least it's not chemo' tier?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:15 pm »

As a washed-up former biologist who's merely skimmed some discussion, by which I mean as somebody whose word cannot be trusted, it looks like it's better than chemo, but with its own particular brand of shitty side-effects.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: July 27, 2015, 01:12:03 am »

Do they have any way to actually get rid of the CAR T-Cells safely or no?
it can be done, but they (that is this group) dId not, to prevent relapse in the case of ALL and because responses were often delayed in CLL.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:44:45 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:15 am »

My hometown university made a major breakthrough in solar fuel cell technology recently. Using gallium phosphide nanowires, they are able to use sunlight to split water into oxygen and hydrogen.
Even though efficiency still needs upgrading (it is not bad though), the nanowires are also much cheaper in rare materials cost than any other solar cell so far.

If I were a rich man, I'd invest in this right now.
http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=40801.php

https://www.tue.nl/en/university/news-and-press/news/17-07-2015-nanowires-give-solar-fuel-cell-efficiency-a-tenfold-boost/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:46:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:29 am »

My hometown university made a major breakthrough in solar fuel cell technology recently. Using gallium phosphide nanowires, they are able to use sunlight to split water into oxygen and hydrogen.
Even though efficiency still needs upgrading (it is not bad though), the nanowires are also much cheaper in rare materials cost than any other solar cell so far.

https://www.tue.nl/en/university/news-and-press/news/17-07-2015-nanowires-give-solar-fuel-cell-efficiency-a-tenfold-boost/

Dont titanium dioxide (titanium white, it's cheap, it's what makes white latex paint white) nanopillars do the same thing with some absurd efficiency when exposed to UV?

Since the issue with pure titanium dioxide is the fast hole-electron recombination, and since gallium phosphide looks like a pretty beefy semiconductor-- could the nanowires be combined with the titanium dioxide nanopillars to achieve the same end, instead of using silver or gold as an electron sink? 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3279 on: August 04, 2015, 12:45:32 pm »

This is pretty cool.

3D printed supercar.

This is apparently pretty good carbon-wise compared to a factory, so it's cool if they can get it going large-scale.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3280 on: August 05, 2015, 06:52:04 pm »

This is pretty cool.

3D printed supercar.

This is apparently pretty good carbon-wise compared to a factory, so it's cool if they can get it going large-scale.
"You wouldn't download a car"
"I would if I could!"
well... there we go.
Neat news nonetheless, I wonder how materials manufacturing on large scale compares between normal car manufacturing? The production line helps speed up production by spreading out construction to many specialized machines, for instance.
That said, making a card out of carbon fiber is interesting.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:55:42 pm by iceball3 »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: August 06, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »

Well, instead of having a lot of different stops for one car, we now have a lot of the same printing machines, each which can produce one of many cars in X hours.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: August 06, 2015, 04:30:57 pm »

What's the advantage though? We're pretty damn good at manufacturing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3283 on: August 06, 2015, 07:19:22 pm »

What's the advantage though? We're pretty damn good at manufacturing.
printing usually means less material used overall and you can do some pretty unique 3D structure stuff which would be difficult or impossible to mill or cast

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »

Flexibility is probably going to be a factor too. If you want to, say, tweak the car's body, it's going to be easier to load a new template into a printer than retool a factory.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 339