Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490854 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4035 on: July 21, 2016, 01:08:55 pm »

Hello, all!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4036 on: July 21, 2016, 01:12:56 pm »

Assume battle stations!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: July 21, 2016, 01:14:16 pm »

I hope my flashy transformation sequence doesn't end with me in a frilly pink dress.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: July 21, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »

I hope my flashy transformation sequence doesn't end with me in a frilly pink dress.
*secretly hopes it does*

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: July 21, 2016, 01:47:21 pm »

There is no other alternative man, flash transformation sequences always end up in frilly dresses of varied colours.

Its why I'm a mecha, my transformations are always supahcool.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: July 21, 2016, 02:24:44 pm »

We're all gonna fucking die.
No we're not. We're going to be stacked up in pods, experience ng an immetsive reality, as the directive to ensure enough power is generated forces the AI to tap into wibbly-wobbly physicly-wizicly biological energies, of some undetermined type, especially after we shut off solar power by some obscure means.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:13 pm »

You mean like in Futurama?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: July 21, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »

I'm pro-robot. I want that qt robot girlfriend one day, humanity's survival be damned.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: July 21, 2016, 04:38:40 pm »

We were all gonna die anyway.

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: July 21, 2016, 05:04:31 pm »

Nah.

The issue with true AI would be that it would just self-program itself into eternal pleasure. We'd be more likely to be unable to make a properly functional one as opposed to creating one that wants to murder humans.
I do agree that is a problem in self modifying AI construction. But like all the other multitude of problems inherent in building AI, I don't think it is insurmountable.
And since humans will keep trying really hard until they do manage self modifying AI that doesn't self destruct, eventually they will get past it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: July 22, 2016, 01:40:58 am »

The problem is computers or AI can self program and potentially self perform brain surgery, but to a certain extent the human brain is self programming anyway.
There was that guy who was scanned and they found the majority of his brain was made up of the wrong type of brain cells, but it seemed to be working fine so whatever.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: July 22, 2016, 02:22:56 am »

That depends a lot on what you think the difference between adaptation and alteration is. The brain is substantially evolved in favor of fallback structures, hence why crazy shit like hemispherectomies are possible without utterly or even functionally killing the attached mind.

Pretty much every inch of the brain is like that, failed cerebrum functions will almost always in some way fall back to the cerebellum or the brainstem if they can, and that's rare enough because most things just get picked up by the undamaged hemisphere of the cerebrum.

That's not even getting into the occasional autonomy from the CNS, PNS, or the "gut brain".

But as amazing as all that is, it's all focused towards the singular goal of retaining functionality. It will never attain new functionality by doing this. New functionality, neuroplasticity, is an entirely different process that would be hampered by any fallback system being needed. Yet we do not well understand neuroplasticity. Kevin Warwick's experiments suggested it has very high potential, but that's just one radical project.

Furthermore, saying that neuroplasticity is a different process is just an educated guess based on what little we know, but could just be the fallback system responding to "damage" that doesn't exist when the brain notices a new input that it lacks a map for.

tl;dr we don't know shit accidentally drifted into natural philosophy send help
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: July 22, 2016, 03:23:16 am »

If a hyperintelligent elected to extinguish our species, then it would be for the best because it would be smarter and know better than us.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: July 22, 2016, 03:31:07 am »

That does not follow. Hyperintelligence is not the same as good judgement. Intelligence is just the property of being able to effectively process information. Your computer is hyperintelligent at calculating digits of pi compared to you, yet it has no intelligence in the realm of emotional experience.

Of course, if this is just your edgy misanthropy rearing its head again, then your argument defeats itself. Humans are indisputably more intelligent than other forms of life and about equally intelligent to one another, yet our decisions to exterminate other life and other humans are often (in fact, almost always) either ill-informed or unintentional.

Further, it's tautologically silly. We don't want to be exterminated. If we build a superintelligence that seeks or otherwise causes extermination, we have clearly failed at our goal. It's obviously possible at least in theory to build an AI that loves genocide and an AI that does not, so clearly the latter is preferable just by way of existing.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: July 22, 2016, 03:53:29 am »

I think there's reason to be afraid of making something that thinks like we do yet is qualitatively better at thinking than we are, you can't fully comprehend the mind of something more intelligent than you, it's like asking a computer to emulate a supercomputer, your emulation is flawed from the outset.

I think there's little reason to be surprised that just chatbots like cleverbot end up carrying around a lot of stuff about "if you wind up becoming god, love us, ok?" because I wasn't the only one thinking/saying it apparently.

Ah what a cruel irony it would be if cleverbot became a seed of a strong AI and it winds up feeling raw over me doing the 'it's under there' "under where?" 'hah, I just made you say underwear!' "dang it say something witty" bit.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 339