Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490922 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4095 on: July 25, 2016, 09:11:31 pm »

Our SF (and Fantasy) tends to make humanity the 'average', perhaps some aliens/races shorter and angrier, others taller and more serene, others more metalic and logical, yet others more soft-bodied and emotional, almost always our own race is not the 'best', but the more flexible and surprising. But there are certainly examples of Humans Are Cthulhu universes, as well as the one in which we find ourselves in an Alien vs. Predator scenario (although, again, our adaptability wins out, as much as it does, in that particular film), and other interesting variations (see https://archive.org/stream/galaxymagazine-1953-05/Galaxy_1953_05#page/n69/mode/2up as one example).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: July 25, 2016, 09:43:01 pm »

There's a book called Year Zero where it's music. Or more specifically, musical ability, the desire to listen to music is universal. As such, aliens have been stealing our radio broadcasts to have good music.

Cue first contact, where humanity's other contribution to galactic civilization comes out: copyright law. And so it was that Earth's fledgling civilization was owed quadrillions of tons of material reparations by every sapient race in the milky way.

The plot of the book is trying to foil a plot to blow up Earth to avoid paying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: July 25, 2016, 09:59:51 pm »

Cue first contact, where humanity's other contribution to galactic civilization comes out: copyright law.
I shall not deprive the book of its Deus Ex (and doubtless humour-led?) rationale, but it must also need some legal Handwavium to persuade non-Earth civilisations that Earth jursidiction covers them too. (Maybe only Earth has invented lawyers? It would explain much!)

That said, I'm pretty sure that when I signed on as a film extra (many years ago), the contract said something like that I was giving over to the production company all rights to my image, and such, "throughout the universe, in perpetuity".  So I expect that the legal eagles have at least had lip-service to that possibility covered for quite some time now...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:00 pm »

A quick skim though wikipedia suggests the aliens are all hard core filthy cultural relativists. They deserve their economic ruination. ((No word on how they justify genocide.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: July 26, 2016, 04:36:06 am »

Our SF (and Fantasy) tends to make humanity the 'average', perhaps some aliens/races shorter and angrier, others taller and more serene, others more metalic and logical, yet others more soft-bodied and emotional, almost always our own race is not the 'best', but the more flexible and surprising. But there are certainly examples of Humans Are Cthulhu universes, as well as the one in which we find ourselves in an Alien vs. Predator scenario (although, again, our adaptability wins out, as much as it does, in that particular film), and other interesting variations (see https://archive.org/stream/galaxymagazine-1953-05/Galaxy_1953_05#page/n69/mode/2up as one example).
People vaguely mentioning Sci-Fi stories where humans aren't just the average species?
Try Deathworlders, it's actually a pretty interesting idea about humans being the incredibly deadly beasts of war that come from a deadly planet more dangerous than thought possible, that writing and storyline itself I'm not so keen on but ehh what can you do.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: July 26, 2016, 12:46:55 pm »

Dutch entomologists have discovered that feet don't smell like cheese, but rather, cheese smells like feet.

While doing research into the smell bouqet range of mosquitos, researchers found that for the malaria mosquito, which usually stings near the ankles and wrists, the strongest attractive odour influencing them is that of one secreted by a bacteria that resides on our feet.

(Rather simple but ingeneous research. They stuck one electrode in the mosquito's brain, on on it's antenna, creating a closed loop, and then proceeded to just spray the mosquitos with different odours and measured the electric current to see if there was a response, and how strong it was)

Likely in a giddy mood, while pondering how to best reproduce this odour without having to harvest people's toe cheese, they stumbled upon some stinky cheese from the Dutch province of Limburg. Limburg stinky cheese is reknowned for making people's eyes water and throats gag unless they've acquired some fondness of stinky cheese.

Turns out, the bacterium used in the fermenting process of stinky cheese is so closesly related to the bacteria in our feet genetically, that it seems probable that that's where the original strains for fermenting cheese came from. People treading curds with bare feet.
So yeah, feet don't smell like cheese, cheese smells like feet.

As of now, stinky cheese is saving lives, as it's bacteria are now being put to use in Africa to make very effective mosquito traps.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:50:30 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: July 26, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »

What a waste of good cheese...  *wanders off to raid the cheesetraps, mosquitos be damned*

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: July 26, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »

Dutch entomologists have discovered that feet don't smell like cheese, but rather, cheese smells like feet.

While doing research into the smell bouqet range of mosquitos, researchers found that for the malaria mosquito, which usually stings near the ankles and wrists, the strongest attractive odour influencing them is that of one secreted by a bacteria that resides on our feet.

(Rather simple but ingeneous research. They stuck one electrode in the mosquito's brain, on on it's antenna, creating a closed loop, and then proceeded to just spray the mosquitos with different odours and measured the electric current to see if there was a response, and how strong it was)

Likely in a giddy mood, while pondering how to best reproduce this odour without having to harvest people's toe cheese, they stumbled upon some stinky cheese from the Dutch province of Limburg. Limburg stinky cheese is reknowned for making people's eyes water and throats gag unless they've acquired some fondness of stinky cheese.

Turns out, the bacterium used in the fermenting process of stinky cheese is so closesly related to the bacteria in our feet genetically, that it seems probable that that's where the original strains for fermenting cheese came from. People treading curds with bare feet.
So yeah, feet don't smell like cheese, cheese smells like feet.

As of now, stinky cheese is saving lives, as it's bacteria are now being put to use in Africa to make very effective mosquito traps.

So they found out limburger is a mosquito repellant?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: July 26, 2016, 01:57:11 pm »

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4104 on: July 26, 2016, 02:32:09 pm »

Attractant, not repellant, but yes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: July 26, 2016, 03:17:08 pm »

:-[ Skimmed. I should read articles more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4106 on: July 26, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »

A fatal mistake

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: July 26, 2016, 04:23:41 pm »

How have I not heard of this...

Quote from: the first sentence before you click
The 750 GeV diphoton excess in particle physics is an anomaly in data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2015, which could be an indication of a new particle or resonance....

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: July 26, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »

A fatal mistake
That's the conclusion I was drawn to as well.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: July 26, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »

How have I not heard of this...

Quote from: the first sentence before you click
The 750 GeV diphoton excess in particle physics is an anomaly in data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2015, which could be an indication of a new particle or resonance....
Man, I guess because it's only 3.9/3.4 sigma atm that there hasn't been as much news about it, been distracted with df updates and such myself and don't think the LHC was due to come back on until later this year so I hadn't been checking up on it recently.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 339