Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490761 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4140 on: August 08, 2016, 10:21:00 pm »

I feel the POWER.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: August 09, 2016, 05:38:04 am »

To get things slightly back on topic, interesting new camera from NASA actually allows filming of details in the exhaust plume of a rocket. I'll be the first to admit this is more clever engineering than SCIENCE!, but it will no doubt be useful in the future.
Youtube recommended me similar videos:
'Alien Buildings Found On The Moon In New NASA Photo?'
'NASA Hides Giant UFO Next To Sun'
'NASA Scientist Admits Portals Are Opening Around Earth'
'NASA Caught Lying About The SUN |THE SUN PROVES FLAT EARTH| NASA LIES'
'DAMN!!! Flying UFO Humanoid Spotted Spying On CA Baffled Residents!? NASA SCRUBS ISS Feed 8/5/2016'

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4142 on: August 09, 2016, 07:17:16 am »

To get things slightly back on topic, interesting new camera from NASA actually allows filming of details in the exhaust plume of a rocket. I'll be the first to admit this is more clever engineering than SCIENCE!, but it will no doubt be useful in the future.
That.. is actually really damn cool looking. I want to see more.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: August 09, 2016, 08:11:27 am »

'DAMN!!! Flying UFO Humanoid Spotted Spying On CA Baffled Residents!? NASA SCRUBS ISS Feed 8/5/2016'

"6 Mysterious Creatures Caught By NASA On Mars"
"We Knew It! NASA Admits Hidden Portals Opening Above"
"CRAZYNESS!! Never Before Seen UFO Video Inside Exploding"
"ALIEN Structure Destroying Star? New Evidence Mystifies"
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: August 09, 2016, 10:09:52 am »

"6 Mysterious Creatures Caught By NASA On Mars"
"We Knew It! NASA Admits Hidden Portals Opening Above"
"CRAZYNESS!! Never Before Seen UFO Video Inside Exploding"
"ALIEN Structure Destroying Star? New Evidence Mystifies"
"Area 51 HATES her: Local mom exposes shocking UFO-sighting secret"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: August 10, 2016, 05:14:34 pm »

Because people read too many comic books, probably.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: August 10, 2016, 05:45:52 pm »

especially when it won't affect the children.
Depends on whether, intentionally or otherwise, it gets into the gametes (or gametogenic cells). In a previous job, this was a stated reason behind enhanced long-term record keeping, because potentially our records might eventually become vital information in tracking back what such interventionist cascades might have happened to descendents as yet unborn.

(Purely futureproofing, of course.)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: August 10, 2016, 05:53:25 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, but epigenetical traits are technicaly inheritable, so it maaaaay affect future offspring, me thinks, but hey, I'm no expert on the matter or the field, so I can't say for sure. Despite this, I'm all in favor of gene editing :U, its about time we took more direct control of genes anyway.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: August 10, 2016, 06:09:04 pm »

Huh. Very interesting. Suppose it helps that in China what the public wants doesn't have as much say as in the west.

Though I do have to wonder why some people flip their shit at the idea of gene editing (outside of religious reasons, I can understand where they're coming from even if I don't agree), especially when it won't affect the children. Do people think that DNA's a thing that should never be touched ever aside from spending 500 years slowly altering it? I mean, all this is really doing is speeding up the process, and possibly adding things that we couldn't get via natural/artificial selection.
One of the more reasonable issues ATM is off-target effects. CRISPR is good as far as somatic cells are concerned AFAIK, but it does have some in germline. The risk is creating babies sick with some nasty genetic issue from the get-go.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: August 10, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »

Yeah. The "well genes changing happens anyway" argument isn't really valid here. Poisonous GM crops don't happen because GM companies simply don't ship their failed prototypes/batches. You can't do that for humans.

This obviously isn't a problem as long as there is no effect on children (or no children, or children before gene therapy).

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: August 11, 2016, 01:33:14 pm »

While researching the age of greenland sharks, a group of Danish biologists was stunned to find that one shark, which was caught in the nets as by-catch by fishermen, was a stunning 392 years old, setting a new world record as oldest vertebrate recorded. The average age of the shark specimens they examined was 163 years.

Greenland sharks reach a mature lenght of 7 meters. They become sexually mature only at age 150 years.
Their extremely long lifespan is probably due to the fact that they spend most of their time in icy deep waters, where temperatures are just slightly above freezing point. Combined with their cold-bloodedness, this gives them a very slow metabolic rate.

The age was determined by c14 dating proteins from the shark's eyeballs. Those are formed during the embryo state, and thus can be c14 dated to determine the shark's age.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: August 11, 2016, 01:49:36 pm »

Yeah. The "well genes changing happens anyway" argument isn't really valid here. Poisonous GM crops don't happen because GM companies simply don't ship their failed prototypes/batches. You can't do that for humans.

This obviously isn't a problem as long as there is no effect on children (or no children, or children before gene therapy).

You realize that human gene therapy is already legal (and in some cases commercial) in Europe, and has been for some years now, right? The novelty in the news item is that this is the first clinical use of CRISPR, not of genetic engineering in general.

Also, this is not germ-line editing, or in-vivo innoculation, but (IIRC) ex vivo modification of T cells (presumably obtained by apheresis, I'm guessing?), which are later reinfused into the patient...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:54:39 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: August 11, 2016, 02:02:49 pm »

While researching the age of greenland sharks, a group of Danish biologists was stunned to find that one shark, which was caught in the nets as by-catch by fishermen, was a stunning 392 years old, setting a new world record as oldest vertebrate recorded. The average age of the shark specimens they examined was 163 years.

Greenland sharks reach a mature lenght of 7 meters. They become sexually mature only at age 150 years.
Their extremely long lifespan is probably due to the fact that they spend most of their time in icy deep waters, where temperatures are just slightly above freezing point. Combined with their cold-bloodedness, this gives them a very slow metabolic rate.

The age was determined by c14 dating proteins from the shark's eyeballs. Those are formed during the embryo state, and thus can be c14 dated to determine the shark's age.
Elaborating a bit more, by finding sharks that had elevated C14 in their lenses they could date them back to the nuclear testing era and work out the size relationship with sharks that pre-dated the tests, and thus link the C14 decay to size to age fairly reliably.

The largest specimen was only 5 meters long, with an estimated age of 396 years plus or minus 120 years.

They've been found up to the 7 meter mark or so (great white size) and it takes a long time to get those extra 2 meters I would expect. I wouldn't be surprised at 500+ year old greenland sharks being a thing at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 339