Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490833 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4350 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:05 am »

They kind of can. There are resistance mechanisms that are only expressed in the presence of the relevant antiobiotic.
Expressed. Herein lies the rub.

Coming back to the car analogy, you don't need to have brakes working constantly to prevent you crashing into something - that would be an unnecessary tax on your car's performance, you can engage them on the fly when needed and keep them disengaged when not - but you need to have installed the brakes in the car before you started driving it somewhere.

Similarly, the resistance mechanism needs to show up in the genome, even if it is not part of the transcriptome 24/7.

There is one caveat, in that bacteria love to open source the resistances and so if you already *have* a resistant bacterium somewhere, the resistance may spread faster and further than it could by division of the parent strain alone and it can happen on the fly, with some limitations - but you need to get the OG bacterium in the first place.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: September 30, 2016, 08:07:15 am »

Yeah, I recall reading about some of the theories on multicellular emergence being shaken up when bacteria were found swapping out hardware from others.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: September 30, 2016, 08:19:55 am »

Yeah, the issue ofc is that most of our antibiotics are molecules we got from bacteria and their derivatives (Streptomyces alone account for a majority I think), so the resistance mechanisms ARE out there, either in the producing bacteria (which obviously need to be resistant) or in bacteria living alongside it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: September 30, 2016, 09:24:04 am »

Yeah, the issue ofc is that most of our antibiotics are molecules we got from bacteria and their derivatives (Streptomyces alone account for a majority I think), so the resistance mechanisms ARE out there, either in the producing bacteria (which obviously need to be resistant) or in bacteria living alongside it.
That's not entirely true. First, you're forgetting the very first antibiotic being fungal, and the whole group of penicillins and cephalosporins and the like. This is not denying a lot is bacterial, but penicillin is also the very first antibiotic where widespread resistance popped up and it is not a bacterial product.

Second, you're ignoring that bacteria are not a homogenous group. Unless you look at very wide-spectrum antibiotics, a G- bacteria will simply not be susceptible to G+ bacteria's antibiotics, and vice-versa, and that's not getting into smaller-scale differences. They don't need specific resistances, the molecular target of the antibiotic simply isn't there, not even by a long shot. It doesn't work on the producer, but to say it is resistant is misleading.

Third, a huge chunk of modern antibiotics are not the same substances microorganisms produce in the wild. They are synthetic or semi-synthetic, and only based on the original molecule, with altered action - for example, 2nd-onwards generations of cephalosporins act stronger on G-, sometimes at the expense of the effect on G+, compared to gen 1.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: September 30, 2016, 03:06:04 pm »

You don't have to go for heavy artillery to find antibiotics that target both. You pointed one out yourself in your example (cephalosporins). In fact, the most commonly used antibiotics do, in fact, target both Gram + and - bacteria.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:15:40 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: September 30, 2016, 06:58:52 pm »

the very first antibiotic being fungal
Arsphenamine and the sulfonamides beg to differ.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: October 01, 2016, 05:07:45 am »

That's not entirely true. First, you're forgetting the very first antibiotic being fungal, and the whole group of penicillins and cephalosporins and the like. This is not denying a lot is bacterial, but penicillin is also the very first antibiotic where widespread resistance popped up and it is not a bacterial product.

Second, you're ignoring that bacteria are not a homogenous group. Unless you look at very wide-spectrum antibiotics, a G- bacteria will simply not be susceptible to G+ bacteria's antibiotics, and vice-versa, and that's not getting into smaller-scale differences. They don't need specific resistances, the molecular target of the antibiotic simply isn't there, not even by a long shot. It doesn't work on the producer, but to say it is resistant is misleading.

Third, a huge chunk of modern antibiotics are not the same substances microorganisms produce in the wild. They are synthetic or semi-synthetic, and only based on the original molecule, with altered action - for example, 2nd-onwards generations of cephalosporins act stronger on G-, sometimes at the expense of the effect on G+, compared to gen 1.

Sure, I said most, not all. Wiki tells me that 2/3rd of all natural antibiotics used come from Streptomyces. As for the b-lactams, they're fungal, but the resistance was already out there in bacterias before we used them. The resistants bacterias didn't invent a new hydrolase, they just made use of what was already there.
And even if they're semi-synthetic, they're still close enough to wild-type antibiotics that it's not much work for existing enzymes that degrade the wild-type antibiotic to evolve to be able to degrade the variant. See, cephalosporins and all other b-lactams derivatives.

I mean, no offense but I'm kinda doing my PhD on carbapenemases. :D

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: October 01, 2016, 06:58:41 am »

You don't have to go for heavy artillery to find antibiotics that target both. You pointed one out yourself in your example (cephalosporins). In fact, the most commonly used antibiotics do, in fact, target both Gram + and - bacteria.
Uh, what exactly are you responding to? I never said wide-spectrums don't real, I just pointed out that narrow-spectrum antibiotics exist, and so natural antibiotic producers don't necessarily need to be resistant.

the very first antibiotic being fungal
Arsphenamine and the sulfonamides beg to differ.
Fair enough, I didn't specify what rules I was going by: Protonsil was discovered in 1932, so later than Penicillin, though it was marketed earlier, so by actual availability it has primacy. Arsphenamine is not usually counted as an antibiotic for, upon some research, weird reasons.

Sure, I said most, not all. Wiki tells me that 2/3rd of all natural antibiotics used come from Streptomyces. As for the b-lactams, they're fungal, but the resistance was already out there in bacterias before we used them. The resistants bacterias didn't invent a new hydrolase, they just made use of what was already there.
And even if they're semi-synthetic, they're still close enough to wild-type antibiotics that it's not much work for existing enzymes that degrade the wild-type antibiotic to evolve to be able to degrade the variant. See, cephalosporins and all other b-lactams derivatives.

I mean, no offense but I'm kinda doing my PhD on carbapenemases. :D
All the more reason to try to argue then, better me than the reviewer :P

I didn't actually know there was a resistance in the wild, how do we know that's the case? And one way or another, unless you're somehow both a bio grad and creationist I suppose, they did invent a new hydrolase, the only question is when.

Unless I massively misremembered, I think you're wrong on the topic of (semi-)synthetics. I recall watching a video on topic of antibiotic resistance (I think it was a part of an intro to a vid about teixobactin maybe) that showed the arms race between beta-lactamases and beta-lactam modifications preventing lactamase cleavage of the ring. But unfortunately that was shown in class, like two years ago, so I might be spectacularly wrong here. I didn't research it just now, I'll check later.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4358 on: October 01, 2016, 09:06:51 am »

Spinoloricus
Spinoloricus
Anaerobic
Unlike much more of us
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:23:01 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:54 am »

Well, you stated
Unless you look at very wide-spectrum antibiotics a G- bacteria will simply not be susceptible to G+ bacteria's antibiotics, and vice-versa
Which seems to imply that  you have to look for unusual drugs in order to achieve this. I was merely pointing out that it is not that infrequent.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: October 01, 2016, 10:07:48 am »

Well, for the penicillins for exemple we can do phylogenetic analysis of the b-lactamases and see that they evolved long before the widespread human use of antibiotics.

I think the point I was trying to make was that since most of our antibiotics are either natural molecules or their derivatives, resistance can spread very quickly, because the means to resist it have either already evolved, or need only slight modifications from the resistance mechanism used against the molecule the antibiotic is derived from.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: October 01, 2016, 10:33:59 am »

Well, you stated
Unless you look at very wide-spectrum antibiotics a G- bacteria will simply not be susceptible to G+ bacteria's antibiotics, and vice-versa
Which seems to imply that  you have to look for unusual drugs in order to achieve this. I was merely pointing out that it is not that infrequent.
Fair enough, you have a point, I could have phrased that better, it is misleading.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: October 01, 2016, 12:48:41 pm »

I didn't actually know there was a resistance in the wild, how do we know that's the case?
I'm wondering why you should think it doesn't happen...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: October 03, 2016, 06:44:25 am »

80% of data in Chinese clinical trials have been fabricated

Also, some people on forums are saying that the problem is even bigger, and can potentially affect ALL universities with Chinese Exchange programs, partnerships, or "visiting Scholars", due to them outsourcing "all Mass experiments, assays, and reproduction studies" to China because, apparently, the Chinese data is "Lots more data produced at a lower price, so it's far more efficient to do the mass studies that way".

This can go a long way to explain the current "crisis of reproducibility".
._.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:16 am »

80% of data in Chinese clinical trials have been fabricated

Also, some people on forums are saying that the problem is even bigger, and can potentially affect ALL universities with Chinese Exchange programs, partnerships, or "visiting Scholars", due to them outsourcing "all Mass experiments, assays, and reproduction studies" to China because, apparently, the Chinese data is "Lots more data produced at a lower price, so it's far more efficient to do the mass studies that way".

This can go a long way to explain the current "crisis of reproducibility".
[Smugface]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 339