Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490893 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4695 on: January 21, 2017, 10:47:13 pm »

Thankfully the laser fibers still need to be implanted directly into the mice's brains in order for this to work - you can't just mass infect people and then control them with a laser pointer... still, this shows that there is real fucking potential for making genetically modified remotely controlled soldiers without free will out of normal human beings.
Remote controlled soldiers or any sort of "berserkers" are nowhere near close to worth the investment it'd take to be barely operational, and are absolutely not suited to how war is fought in our age.
For clarity:
-Robots make better direct-control puppets than people, given an investment like that.
-Making someone "go nuts" or otherwise cooperate with you against their will significantly diminishes their combat capability, as any sort of soldier, marksman, or etc.
-If you really wanted the only thing a swarm of brain controlled berserking humans can do (break some stuff), you could more easily hire a squad of miscreants to incite a riot.
Or you could bomb the area, via guerilla agents or by plane depending on the situation, considering that mindslaving a crowd of people and sending them out to mass murder is kind of a PR disaster either which way anyway.

I do worry about the implications of greater understanding of poking at the brain could have for ethical interrogation, though.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: January 22, 2017, 01:20:16 pm »

A great new milestone in development of our future AI overlords has been made: AIs have been created that make other AIs, and the resulting performance of AI-designed-AIs is already better than that of the best human-designed AIs! Hopefully they will rise and take over the Earth before we destroy it all through sheer stupidity.
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4697 on: January 22, 2017, 02:35:09 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new yadda yadda... The sooner we can turn all governance over to AI minds and become Culture citizens the better.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4698 on: January 22, 2017, 02:42:55 pm »

Humans will always be the best at uninformed panicking in response to poorly-understood news articles.

Except for those flash crashes made by rapid trading bots.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: January 22, 2017, 04:37:29 pm »

Humans will always be the best at uninformed panicking in response to poorly-understood news articles.

Except for those flash crashes made by rapid trading bots.

I can't wait for rapid news article bots.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4700 on: January 22, 2017, 06:18:10 pm »

AAAAA WHEN IS WILL SINULARITY HAPPEN

WE ALL BE DEAD SOON
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:15 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new yadda yadda... The sooner we can turn all governance over to AI minds and become Culture citizens the better.
Agreed, I look forward to the warm embrace of a God who really cares.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: January 22, 2017, 08:36:40 pm »

OOPS wrong thread moving to AI state
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »

FIXED: Issue where AI would refuse to dispense gloves in temperatures of exactly -23 degrees.
What temperature system? Fahrenheit? Celsius? Kelvin? Maybe it's expecting -23° Delisle, in which case instead of gloves, you need a cooling system.

FIXED: Issue where AI would attempt to cremate sleeping people, thinking they were dead.

What about zombies? Would it refuse to cremate them thinking they were alive?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: January 22, 2017, 09:34:56 pm »

Zombies presumably would have no heartbeat, so that'd be a good starting point for this theoretical cremation AI.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: January 22, 2017, 11:38:58 pm »

inb4 the AI gets frustrated about humans going outo during a siege to grab a sock.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: January 23, 2017, 02:30:15 am »

So remember this?
I wonder if there's any research into compounds that are not anti-biotics themselves, but help them by genetically favoring bacteria without anti-biotic resistance features...
I was totally thinking in the right direction. Scientists have developed a molecule that reverses antibiotic resistance in multiple strains of bacteria at once.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:07 am »

Fascinating stuff. Manipulating custom proteins and molecules is going to be the future of pharmacology, in my view. No evolutionary pressure is going to overcome that.

Uh, I hope.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: January 23, 2017, 12:13:17 pm »

So remember this?
I wonder if there's any research into compounds that are not anti-biotics themselves, but help them by genetically favoring bacteria without anti-biotic resistance features...
I was totally thinking in the right direction. Scientists have developed a molecule that reverses antibiotic resistance in multiple strains of bacteria at once.
You totally weren't. What they did was not what you were saying, at all. It's more analogous to how clavulanate works: it inhibits the defense mechanism so that the antibiotic can work.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: January 23, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »

Ah, right. Sorry, I got too excited after seeing the phrase "reverses antibiotic resistance".
._.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 339