Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 491034 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4845 on: February 28, 2017, 01:38:57 pm »

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

But not the biologists.
What if you put the apple in some sort of apple-cannon?
You'll just attract engineers.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »

"Yeah, hello, is this Doctor Braeburn? Good, good, yes, I was wondering if you could help me since I recently took the liberty of expanding my melon with that tip you gave me? Yeah, last time I had a check up you said I really should read Delicious! by, oh what's her name, Roxbury, Russet? Man, it's sitting right on the tip of my tongue like a delicious dollop of mint chocolate chip ice cream after watching a sunset in summer, free of worries... Where was I?  Oh no no, I wasn't calling about the ear transplants, though I am glad to hear they're helping Sonya out, how's her mother doing these days? Good, good, but to get right down to it, I was wondering if you could put some apples where my ears are so I don't end up like my old Granny Smith did before she went away to that old folks home down in Melrose... I really do miss her melba though, so what do you say doc? Am I facing down the limelight of my sanity or can you jazz me up like old king jupiter?..."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:35 pm »

I think this is old news. The concept was that the apple cellulose could serve as a scaffold for vascular networks
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: March 01, 2017, 07:27:39 pm »

US scientist might have made a breakthrough in solving part of the problems with freezing donor organs.
Up until now, the process of unfreezing donor organs caused damage, and even tearing, from temperature differences within the organ.

The researchers have found a clever way to defrost tissues uniformly and evenly.
Using a rinsable fluid, they added iron oxide nano particles to the organs before freezing them.

Next, they used a magnetic field to heat the iron oxide particles within the organ. The tissues tested survived undamaged, contrary to the control samples defrosted in a conventional way.

They did not test the procedure with entire organs yet. They used smaller tissue samples. The method proved effective on both pig as well as human tissues.

Robert Porte, transplantation surgeon at the Dutch University Medical Centre Groningen does question the usefulness though.
"It's a nice piece of work, and scientifically very solid. However, over the past few years, the trend has been to abandon the idea of freezing organs. Another technique is much more advanced; using artificial blood circulation to keep donor organs alive is already starting to see application in the field, making cooling or freezing obsolete."
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: March 01, 2017, 07:32:25 pm »

Robert Porte, transplantation surgeon at the Dutch University Medical Centre Groningen does question the usefulness though.

More options is always better however. If a technique is abandoned, then an improvement in the abandoned technique is still worth pursuing as it might make it viable in more circumstances. Cryogenic suspension could advance due to this discovery for example.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: March 01, 2017, 07:37:52 pm »

Cryo is something to pursue. If you go with artificial support, you need that complex system to be present to preserve an organ. If you have an effective way to defrost, then in an emergency situation you need...a freezer box. This opens up some obvious utility.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32:19 am »

Scientists Have Found a Way To Rapidly Thaw Cryopreserved Tissue Without Damage

Good news for all of us who have arranged to have their brains frozen in a icy vat.  Um, probably just me I guess.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:30 am »

Yeah, I was gonna say.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:07 am »

Oh geez, I did. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: March 03, 2017, 02:02:33 pm »

Guys, I think all the freshly thawed corpsicles are just getting the news, it's ok.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: March 03, 2017, 03:09:33 pm »

Heh.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: March 03, 2017, 03:30:41 pm »

Time to put myself in a freezer marked "Open in Trappist".
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: March 03, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »

Time to put myself in a freezer marked "Open in Trappist".
Hope you're ready to skip fifty thousand years and get woken up by the post-apocalyptic remnants of humanity orbiting a dead world singed by a red dwarf because they think you're the prophesied savior because their badly rampant AI guardian told them so.

Come on man, have some foresight here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: March 03, 2017, 04:05:26 pm »

Yeah, it'll be badass.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 339