demons
magma
necromancers
undead
tantrum spiral
loyalty cascade
giant mosquito invasion

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION  (Read 68301 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 100 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 08:19:09 am »

58: do not assign your only legendary military dwarf 20+ war dogs, then let them out into a siege... The resulting tantrum is difficult to put down
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:30 am »

59: Never put the off switch beside the pump providing water for the fortress because when the flood comes you cant stop it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:50 am »

60: All levers should be at least 4 z levels above the highest water source in existence, or the top of the pump stack. With depressurizers and doors to seal away water.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:45 am »

61. Amphibious Mounts used in sieges can and will swim with their rider into your fortress if you did not floor over whatever water entry flows through your walled in part of the fortress.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 10:08:04 am »

62. Remember that even if a group of Giant Albatross Corpses emigrates from your map after stalking you for 2 seasons, that doesn't mean the next immigrant group couldn't be another bunch of Giant Albatross Corpses.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08:43 am »

63. Don't put your bridge and danger room levers next to each other.
64. Don't let your dwarves share friends. The tantrum spiral is horrendous.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:14 am »

65. Ensure tat levers may be easily reconisable as to their function. Be it by notes, locatio or colour co-ordination.Lever rooms, all identical and unmarked, are bad ideas.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 11:59:55 am »

65. Ensure tat levers may be easily reconisable as to their function. Be it by notes, locatio or colour co-ordination.Lever rooms, all identical and unmarked, are bad ideas utterly genius.

Fixed that for you. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »

66.  Never assume a door is locked when a siege/FB/titan/!!Fun!! arrives.
67a.  When starting an outside fort make sure you have an underground stockpile in case Urist gets a strange mood so the artifact isn't immediately stolen by a kea causing a tantrum from Uristmcjustbecamelegendary.   :'(  (just happened to me)
67b.  Also make sure this underground stockpile has a door so the kea doesn't get inside and steal your stuff anyway.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

Thrudq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 01:27:43 pm »

68. If you divert surface water from z-level 5 underground to z-level 7 and then back outside to z-level 9, that water can still back up and flood the main dining hall.

69.  Make sure your drawbridge opens toward the outside of the fort, not toward the room inside where your militia trains.

70.  If you order every last single dwarf in the fort to carry trade goods to the depot, nobody will be available to close the drawbridge when the goblins that were following the merchants attack.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:56:46 pm by Thrudq »

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »

71: Remember to put a roof on the fortress airlock i na biome with scary fog/cloud/mist/vapor etc.

72: Remember to put a roof over the entire fortress including archery fortifications for when the goblins get cave swallows.

73: Bring booze on embark.......
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »

74. Don't attempt to kill ANYTHING with unarmored wrestlers, especially if you don't have a hospital. They will die and cause a tantrum spiral.
75. Wrestlers will always attack and die before your equipped dwarves can kill the creature.
76. Remember to get cage traps and a military by the first year in case of siege.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 05:11:44 pm »

77. Fill pond seems to take precedence over EVERY SINGLE OTHER JOB.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »

78. Forgotten beasts will instantly know if any path into your fortress opens up no matter where they are on the map.
79. The amount of time it will take for a dwarf to pull a level can be anywhere between ten seconds and ten minutes.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »

80. If you find candy, go play Minesweep for about ten hours before you start mining the candy. That should be enough experience to prevent you from finding the hole.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25