Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 5 - That's the last of them. [Game Over!]  (Read 61057 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 5 - Priest with a Plan [Day 2]
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »

Native:
IronyOwl: Do you have nothing to say to my responses or have you just not had the chance to post?
The latter. Specifically, I felt your post warranted going back to double check some things, then I got distracted by ZU's interesting claim and things in general.

IronyOwl. That last post was a bit extreme, don't you think? Most of what was directed at Mr. D was you complaining about how he's complaining about how you're asking him all them questions making statements. Assuming. It's out of character for you to blow up so hard on someone for something so little and ultimately irrelevant. A few things stood out that make me think you're scum pressing for a mislynch.
Refusing to answer any questions is not an irrelevant thing. Shutting down because he's got three questions in the queue is not an irrelevant thing. Not having an answer to "What did you think I just said?" is not an irrelevant thing. If he's going to shut down at that level, he needs to snap out of it or hang.

But tell me, assuming he hadn't been lynched, how would you go about getting a read on him, remembering that refusing to explain himself is petty and irrelevant?

I never said that refusing to answer any questions was irrelevant. I said that his complaining about the number of questions you were asking was irrelevant. I thought that was pretty clear seeing how I stated it clearly in the bolded portions of my post above.
The number of questions was directly related to his delay and then refusal to answer them, which makes them most decidedly relevant. I'd argue against "most," but much of my post was focused on the number because the number was much of his excuse.

Also, if that was what you were talking about me "blowing up" about, what made you say it was the number I was raging at and not the other stuff I mentioned? Or was any focus on the number noteworthy, regardless of what else I was going on about at the same time?

Keeping in mind that his complaints about the number of questions you were asking him is ultimately irrelevant, I would attempt to get a read on him the usual way - asking him question, reading into his actions, and pressing him on any scumtells he might have let slip.
And when he delayed answering them until "later" because there's fifty of them (AKA two)?

Even if it wasn't intended to be a lynchvote, that's what it turned in to. You really think that everyone's just going to ignore what you're saying to Mr. D because it's only directed at him? When you're making a case against someone like you were against Mr. D you're convincing other to vote him, regardless of whether or not you're actually addressing anyone else.
So you think I was trying to mislynch him because my attempts at convincing everyone else were shit, and you think I was trying to convince everyone else in the first place because I was talking. Also peer pressure.

Right.

It turns into buffering when more than half of your post consists of exaggerated ranting about how he's doing something wrong. You don't think something less than the eighteen lines would have sufficed? What did you really accomplish by padding your post with that drawn out rant?
I really don't. We're talking about someone who could not answer the question "What did you think I was asking when you gave me this answer?", who freaked out about having three questions to him, and whose excuse for not answering them was "That's not something I made a plan about beforehand." That is not someone you can give a quick explanation to and expect anything except further excuses and misunderstandings from.

If you thought otherwise, why didn't you deal with it? Did you not think it was a big enough problem to bother with, or something else?

If by "openly defending his handling of the situation" you mean "nearly all of his tells are synonymous with newbtowntells and you're approaching that like you're after an easy lynch" then yes. I never said that his complaining was admirable or acceptable, but that it should have had a much lighter impact on his alignment than you seemed to believe it had.
By "openly defending his handling of the situation" I mean claiming he wasn't doing anything wrong except that he "hasn't answered your questions in a manner that meets your standards." That's about as diplomatic a way as you can get of saying "refused to answer anything except the one thing he misunderstood and vomited the wrong useless answer at." The only time you've actually acknowledged he did anything wrong was when you claim "not thinking about his answers"- ie completely and uselessly misinterpreting the only question he actually did answer, the first time- qualified as "poor play," which you only mention as an excuse for why it's not scumminess.

In short, you're utterly belittling his issues, and even then only when you can't ignore them. If that doesn't qualify as defending his behavior, I'm not sure what would.

Dariush:
Yes, of course, bandwagon me with zero arguments. Unless you count OMGUS, that is. OMGUS brings the total up to a whopping one argument. Yeah, there's no doubt at all now that you're scum, thanks for claryfing that.
This is a Jackass Maneuver. You're being a Jackass.

The way to tell is when you respond to someone's careful dissection of your points with a sweeping dismissal of them on some flimsy grounds, usually involving some variant of the phrase "there's no point [EXPECTED_ACTION] because [CHEAP_EXCUSE]." ZU's point on your flagrant contradiction is entirely valid, and I don't even remember yours on why ZU's scum, so and I looked up your reason for ZU being scum and he's already answered it without any objections from you.

Being a Jackass is useless. Please stop being a Jackass and actually play the game, preferably by explaining everything with quotes.

Hapah:
Everyone: At a glance, ZU would have very little to gain from claiming either flavor (SK or Scum) of NK. He had to know it would invite scrutiny, and if he was an SK would probably want the town to operate under the assumption that the game is within normal bounds. I just can't see a solid reason to claim that kill like that unless you legitimately want to warn the town that the setup isn't typical. Anyone have thoughts on this?
This is essentially my feeling- he just wouldn't have a good reason to fakeclaim this.

The only exception I can think of would be if he was paranoid about being caught in fakeclaim for what his N1 action really was, but that still seems excessively panicky. I guess if we start getting routine kills and haven't killed Dariush already we could take another look at him, but for now I'm content to label him town.

zombie urist:
Well, I didn't think he had good scumhunting questions. And if you read through his posts and didn't think he was scummy, then you're wrong.  :P
Some examples would be nice, however.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

Finally settled enough to actually do something. I've got some things to take care of today and I'll post later tonight - hopefully at least a few hours before day end.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2012, 12:17:38 pm »

Dariush:
Yes, of course, bandwagon me with zero arguments. Unless you count OMGUS, that is. OMGUS brings the total up to a whopping one argument. Yeah, there's no doubt at all now that you're scum, thanks for claryfing that.
This is a Jackass Maneuver. You're being a Jackass.

The way to tell is when you respond to someone's careful dissection of your points with a sweeping dismissal of them on some flimsy grounds, usually involving some variant of the phrase "there's no point [EXPECTED_ACTION] because [CHEAP_EXCUSE]." ZU's point on your flagrant contradiction is entirely valid, and I don't even remember yours on why ZU's scum, so and I looked up your reason for ZU being scum and he's already answered it without any objections from you.

Being a Jackass is useless. Please stop being a Jackass and actually play the game, preferably by explaining everything with quotes.
'Flagrant contradiction'? If you're referring to the 2 SKs one, then I didn't say that the actual idea was far-fetched, I said that arriving at it from basically flat ground was far-fetched, which may only mean that ZU knows something about the setup we don't. His entire argument relies on him telling the truth about the kill and thus safely sitting out the day with his vote on me because I got blocked and (again, assuming he tells the truth) there was no kill other than the vigkill.

As to why he's scum: In addition to the stuff I mentioned earlier, his last post basically admits that he only encouraged me on my case because I was voting someone who wasn't him. The entire 'scum/SK wouldn't claim' stuff reeks of the vilest WIFOM. When I asked him about his suspicions, he vomited out a bunch of easy excuses that consisted of abstract accusations, then threw a vote my way and proceeded to forget about the other three people he accused. Scelly got replaced, sure, but his Hapah and NF cases just evaporated. Since then, he dropped even pretences of scumhunting, instead preferring explanations of Nethack symbols.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2012, 01:40:46 pm »

PFP
Dar: Emphasis mine.
-snip-
The opening flavor strongly suggests a cult. However, Mr. D was 'working for the Guise of the Keeper' and was a SK, so its possible that there are 2 SKs.
That's... a really far-fetched idea. So far-fetched that I see no way it could have into your head without outside influence. Two SKs is just plain crazy, since if Mr.D didn't get lynched we would have two NKs per night without scumkill. With your vigkill (and without anti-town death), that would result in six players on D2 and an instalose for town. Here's my theory: you're SK, there's no scum, there may or may not be cult, though probably there wouldn't be to keep the game even remotely balanced. My vote stays.
-snip-
'Flagrant contradiction'? If you're referring to the 2 SKs one, then I didn't say that the actual idea was far-fetched, I said that arriving at it from basically flat ground was far-fetched, which may only mean that ZU knows something about the setup we don't. His entire argument relies on him telling the truth about the kill and thus safely sitting out the day with his vote on me because I got blocked and (again, assuming he tells the truth) there was no kill other than the vigkill.
-snip-
Reconcile the two different statements, please.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »

I wasn't clear the first time around. 'Crazy' was a bad choice of wording, I admit. Fun fact: if I actually discarded '2 SKs' idea out of hand immediatly, I wouldn't put it into my theory regarding what is actually happening.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2012, 02:20:15 pm »

PFP

Anyone got any insights, questions, something? It really feels like we're kinda just drifting by here.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2012, 03:40:02 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I've been busy. I think we don't have much more to go on but the alleged lack of a night kill and the possibility of a cult that that implies. For lack of anything better, I'd say go with a lynch of Dariush for being blocked the night there was (allegedly, again) no mafia NK, but it's rather weak.

I don't have strong suspicions on the cult at the moment, though I find Tiruin's vote on ZU and Irony's vote on Native rather suspect. Either of these may be it, and I may support a lynch of either if a strong enough argument is made.

Apologies again for spotty activity. Life's a bitch sometimes.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »

zombie urist:
Well, I didn't think he had good scumhunting questions. And if you read through his posts and didn't think he was scummy, then you're wrong.  :P
Examples of what?
As to why he's scum: In addition to the stuff I mentioned earlier, his last post basically admits that he only encouraged me on my case because I was voting someone who wasn't him. The entire 'scum/SK wouldn't claim' stuff reeks of the vilest WIFOM. When I asked him about his suspicions, he vomited out a bunch of easy excuses that consisted of abstract accusations, then threw a vote my way and proceeded to forget about the other three people he accused. Scelly got replaced, sure, but his Hapah and NF cases just evaporated. Since then, he dropped even pretences of scumhunting, instead preferring explanations of Nethack symbols.
Huh? How the hell can arriving at the conclusion be far-fetched if the idea itself isn't far fetched? Besides I've already said that the idea was mentioned in the discussion thread.
My case on Hapah is on hold. I never had a case on NF, but I did agree that his 'nice' post was kinda scummy.

For everyone's convenience, here's why I'm voting Dariush.
On D1, Dariush's vote stayed on the easy lynches, Mr. D and BMC. This post looks like a strategic un-bandwagoning on Mr. D. I also don't like how Dariush is the only one who made no comments on Irony's attack on Mr. D.
Note his first post on D2 and compare it to Bookthras' post above. His vote and FoS are flipped on Native and Hapah. Also he says PPE'd by Book, but there is a half hour difference between those posts. Dariush has been dismissing everything with lazy one-liners. Examples here and here.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2012, 04:44:21 pm »

PFP

Why is everyone wanting to lynch Dar? Do you think he's an SK? Cult? I can't read through all the posts atm to try to distill arguments. If the former, why not let him use the scroll he claimed?

Would a nolynch be possible, or advised? Pros/cons?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:24 pm »

Because he's scummy.  ::)

Letting him use the scroll is less optimal than eliminating an someone anti-town.

The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 5 - The Crown of the Keeper [Day 1]
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2012, 04:59:14 pm »

ZU

Mod: Does the lynchee know he is the lynchee in Roguelike Mafia?

No.

Oh.

Well, that lowers my thoughts on ZU's kill to that vig, or an NK. However, I'd like to know:

zombie urist:
Well, I didn't think he had good scumhunting questions. And if you read through his posts and didn't think he was scummy, then you're wrong:P
Examples of what?
See: Bolded part.

Letting him use the scroll is less optimal than eliminating an someone anti-town.
Could you explain how letting someone use a tracking scroll is less optimal, and how the latter sounds like a definite to you?

ZU:
Could you explain how he was being passive? Why would being useless (please quote or explain how he was being such), merit that vigkill of yours?
Read through his posts. He mostly asked and answered RVS questions.
And that gives him your item of death? Asking and Answering RVS questions = vigkill, then? I mean, out of all of us, you decided to kill that type of person, as you had a scroll of death? Uncommon item...
No. Not doing anything useful other than asking and answering RVS is scummy. BTW, looking at what Toaster wrote, my ?oDeath could have belonged to Mr. D.
How is the last statement possible when Mr. D was up for the first day lynch?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:17 pm »

PFP

Tir: MrD got lynched, could have had the scroll, ZU said he pulled from pool. Doesn't matter much where the scroll came from, though I am curious about something

Toaster: Can non-townies get converted to cult? (scum, SK, lyncher, etc)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2012, 05:08:01 pm »

PFP

Tir: MrD got lynched, could have had the scroll, ZU said he pulled from pool. Doesn't matter much where the scroll came from, though I am curious about something
But isn't the draw from the common pool randomized?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »

yeah. I'm not sure I understand where your question is going though

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2012, 05:20:13 pm »

I'm wondering on why ZU picked UI out of all those people. He pops in with quotes stating to read on UI's posts to determine the scumminess, as he didn't quote em. Then the probability of said scroll (which he confirms used) could've been in Mr.D's hands of all people while he did choose to take from the pool rather than questing. Why Mr.D?

Anyway, the calculations are right that ZU did get from the common pool D1, and nobody else, due to seeing the # of items by Mr.D and UI.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18