Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 684826 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6735 on: December 19, 2020, 10:48:18 pm »

Surely there's some averaging function, that when given two points (representing colors), it produces an output such that it models the mixing of colors.

This is the simple linear interpolation formula to 'mix' two vectors (there are many others in use):

Code: [Select]
# 't' is a value between 0 and 1, 'v' variables are vectors
lerp(t, v0, v1) {
 return v0 + t * (v1 - v0);
}

With t=0 the function returns v0, with t=1 it returns v1. Values in between are a linear blend between the two. For example, if v0 is the scalar '10.0' and v1 is the scalar '35.0', linear interpolation with t = 0.2 would yield '15.0'. If v0 and v1 were color vectors, the result is another color vector where each component was separately interpolated ('r' against 'r', 'g' against 'g', and 'b' against 'b', all with the same 't' value).

How, precisely, do you do bilinear interpolation between two colors? That needs at least 5 points to work with.

It's for the rectangles you're drawing, with the 4 colors in the corners and a desired blended color at a pixel in between them. The (x,y) position of the pixel within the rectangle is used to get the interpolation parameters 't', the result is a color vector for that pixel.

Code: [Select]
# Assumes v0 is top-left, v1 is top-right, v2 is bottom-left, and v3 is bottom-right of a simple rectangle aligned with grid
meths_rectangle_bilerp(x, y, width, height, v0, v1, v2, v3) {
 t0 = x / width;
 t1 = y / height;
 return lerp(t1, lerp(t0, v0, v1), lerp(t0, v2, v3) );
}

Bilinear interpolation is just the basic well-known way of filling out that space inside a square, but there are many others. You could change it slightly by using a different interpolation function than lerp, or look at a more complicated method that uses more samples than 4.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: December 19, 2020, 10:57:29 pm »

So, essentially, take the 4 corner pixels of the rectangle (defined earlier in the program), then use bilinear interpolation to blend them together to fill out the space between them. Is my idea correct?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: December 19, 2020, 11:24:40 pm »

Yep, that's it.

It's used in computer graphics to interpolate 2D texture data (the four corners in that case are four pixels in a texture image, and bilinear interpolation is one way to smoothly fill in the gaps between those pixels if that texture needs to be arbitrarily stretched over a larger or more zoomed-in surface).

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: December 20, 2020, 11:17:32 pm »

Why is it that incels/"nice guys"/neckbeards have this tendency to ask a girl out, call them pretty, call them cute, whatever, then when they inevitably get rejected, they start calling them ugly? Since when was that tactic ever gonna work? If anything, it's further confirmation that the asker is a terrible person, and it makes what would just be a "no" into a "I don't want you near me ever again, get out of my face". It's the most counterproductive thing they could be doing.

Do they legit think that this is an effective way to get the girl (or anyone else, for that matter) to unreject them or something?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: December 21, 2020, 12:10:55 am »

Why is it that incels/"nice guys"/neckbeards have this tendency to ask a girl out, call them pretty, call them cute, whatever, then when they inevitably get rejected, they start calling them ugly? Since when was that tactic ever gonna work? If anything, it's further confirmation that the asker is a terrible person, and it makes what would just be a "no" into a "I don't want you near me ever again, get out of my face". It's the most counterproductive thing they could be doing.

Do they legit think that this is an effective way to get the girl (or anyone else, for that matter) to unreject them or something?
If incels had any social skills they wouldn't be incels.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: December 21, 2020, 12:20:59 am »

It's not supposed to work, LOL, it's supposed to hurt the person in question and make it clear that her value is dependent on whether or not she is being pleasing.

Consider also the message that is being sent to her friends.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: December 21, 2020, 12:37:24 am »

I suppose, but surely in any healthy person, one's value to someone is proportional to how much they care about them. If there is not any preexisting relationship between them, why would she care? Why would that mean anything to the girl, to go back to the example? Why care if you don't care? It's worse than just "don't care", it's probably "don't care, and actively refusing to care" by the time the insults get hurled at the girl. At least, that's how I see it. Maybe some people have a less strict "shut-out-and-ignore" policy than mine, and it might actually be marginally effective on some.

As for the second point... my social model isn't nearly good enough to try and model the social dynamics of more than 2 people. Can you explain?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: December 21, 2020, 01:06:15 am »

surely in any healthy person

one party in this exchange is not exactly a healthy person
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: December 21, 2020, 01:17:07 am »

surely in any healthy person

one party in this exchange is not exactly a healthy person

You know, that would explain why the incel (which I'm assuming is the one you're referring to) seems to think that the girl cares, despite all evidence pointing to an extremely high probability that the girl does not care. I'm guessing the H O R N Y just fucks with the incel's brain.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: December 21, 2020, 01:24:26 am »

OK, regarding point 1: people usually only try this with young women around when they have been experiencing peak socialization pressures regarding personal beauty. Puberty is generally a pretty unpleasant process for girls (no intended comparison vis a vis young men. I really wouldn't know). Certainly some/many laugh it off. Others find it a painful part of the socialization process.

For point 2: Repeatedly signalling to young women as a whole that they only have value when they comply has a psychological impact. At least when I was young, the likelihood that a young woman would be complimented for *anything* other than her beauty was not high. It was very typical that in science classes male students and teachers would just pretend I wasn't talking.

I still remember that guy who went on a shooting rampage at UC Santa Barbara, targeting young, beautiful women because he felt he couldn't get any to date him. He killed a number. Despite *definitely* not being in his target audience, I still feel less safe because of what he did and think twice before rejecting men's advances. He accomplished his goal of communicating, to female-perceived people in general, their social value and possible risks to saying "no."

OK, elaborating on point 2 via analogy. I was once eating dinner in college in my dorm at a mostly male table. This table had repeatedly told me things like I "didn't count as a woman" (which, ok, for me that was honestly both infuriating and kind of thrilling), which gave them tacit permission to say nasty things "with no women around." A long conversation on under which circumstances it was OK to continue sex despite a woman withdrawing her consent ensued. The consensus was that if penetration had been achieved, there was no requirement to stop.

Now, these were my only "friends." I was being bullied by my roommate for being queer at the time and sexually harassed by a couple of female students in the dorm (yeah, I know) and I felt less ashamed of being called flat-assed than I did of being bullied by my own roommate. I wasn't out and had a virulently homophobic family, so I felt that participating in being the target of misogyny could protect me in some way. Plus, they ran the local in-person mafia game and board game groups, and I was shy and wanted to do nerdy things like that instead of participating in the other "in" thing in this dorm, drinking until ill.

These statements broadcast a message: maybe, "don't initiate sex with these men," maybe possession over women in general, maybe "this treatment is the cost of our tolerating you," maybe "if you are harmed, you should know not to come to us."

I wanna be clear that I don't believe most men are like this, but I've also had so many bad experiences at this point with "nice guys" that it's not correct to treat this particular group as statistically insignificant outliers. It definitely wasn't this one conversation, and it wasn't just me. They had a pattern.

Anyway, I don't have any contact with them anymore. I don't know if all this has clarified anything. Note that these are kind of extreme examples which I cherry-picked to try to explain the structure of how this kind of interaction works, not to imply they're of the same magnitude as what you were talking about.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:27:19 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: December 21, 2020, 01:44:34 am »

As for the second point... my social model isn't nearly good enough to try and model the social dynamics of more than 2 people. Can you explain?
Talking to me?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: December 21, 2020, 01:47:50 am »

Talking to me?
That was pointed at Vector, sorry. I should've put "@Vector" or something to that effect at the top.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: December 21, 2020, 06:19:41 am »

I think there's also the aspect of telling themselves that it doesn't matter and they didn't want anything to do with that girl anyway, therefore they didn't really just get rejected. A product of insecurity, which you better believe these guys have in spades.

Is it completely stupid and counter to the previous narrative? Yes, absolutely. But it may be the mantra that they feel they need in order to not take the bad feelings of rejection to heart.

But I dunno, it's all speculation really. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of the incel mind, even if I did used to have some thought processes that were scarily similar back in the day ("But I'm doing everything *right*, why don't they want me?", "They're all just lying to me/ignorant of themselves"). I'm very thankful for the female friends I've had up through the years who helped me move away from that line of thinking, I'm still terrified to think of how I might've ended up as an incel without that exposure and socialization...

I did get called an incel by a gal one time, but her reasoning was because I was showing a lot of care and concern for her wellbeing even though we'd only been dating for a few weeks by that point, and I'd recently opted to cut things off because I realized that hearing about all her other ongoing sexual escapades wasn't doing me any favors in the mental health department... Also we'd already had sex a couple times by that point, so I'm *REALLY* curious as to what her definition of "incel" was  :P

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: December 21, 2020, 09:40:00 pm »

I've had instances where I continued sleeping after waking up momentarily, then I felt like I was out of control of my own body the moment I started entering the sleep state. I tried to move my muscles, and they refused to move. Kind of an existential fear for me. Imagine losing control over your own body, and everything's just sorta locked in place. You can sense that there's something wrong with your body's position, but you're powerless to change it. Spooky shit. Pretty similar to the horror of sleep paralysis, though.

What is this called? I'm tempted to call it sleep paralysis, but that describes a different scenario; locked muscles while alert and mentally awake. Mine is closer to 'locked muscles and desperately trying to move during the transition into sleep'.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: December 21, 2020, 10:21:21 pm »

Sleep paralysis is a normal thing your body does in sleep, to stop you acting out your dreams.

There were experiments done on cats that removed the part of the brain involved in doing that, and they got up and moved around when they were asleep.

Chances are it was just you were aware of things you normally wouldn’t be.

Edit: well alright, sleep paralysis is what you experienced, inability to move when falling asleep or waking.

The body normally inhibits motor function while sleeping, which apparently isn’t referred to as sleep paralysis.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:34:53 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 636