Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691325 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »

I once explained online video games like MMOs as simply a play-by-mail game that developed a faster exchange speed.

You start with play-by-mail, and it takes a week to get your turn results. Then someone comes up with play-by-forum, and you can get your turn results as fast as the human referee will process - perhaps daily, perhaps hourly during a peak time. In a ninja-thread you might get your turn results before you answer a few other topics and circle back to the game. In an MMO, the referee is a server and your computer and the server communicate so fast that your "turn" is really less than a second long and you get one a few times per second. We now have play-by-mail games in the form of MMOs that can process turns faster than the human player can request them, meaning there is no more improvement needed in exchange speed.

I say this because once you reach a certain volume in a play-by-forum game, the medium no longer really supports the game, and it either needs to be split into smaller games with fewer participants, or fewer turns per participant, or transfer into a medium with a higher exchange speed.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2014, 07:16:01 pm »

Do you guys think it would go badly if someone made a poll of what religious beliefs the board population holds? Just as a demographics test, debates would be hopefully exiled to the other threads by the power of the OP.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »

Do you guys think it would go badly if someone made a poll of what religious beliefs the board population holds? Just as a demographics test, debates would be hopefully exiled to the other threads by the power of the OP.
No, but it would go badly because you forgot X. Whatever X turns out to be, jedi, pastafarian, helix, etc.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:04 pm »

Be sure to differentiate between X and crypto-X! You'll get at least two responses for crypto-Catholic.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2014, 07:37:45 pm »

Be sure to differentiate between X and crypto-X! You'll get at least two responses for crypto-Catholic.
That sounds like someone wanted to do bitcoin but was too religious to call it bitcoin. (and I'm probably entirely wrong there)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »

I don't think persecuted Christians are going to answer those polls...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »

No, but it would go badly because you forgot X. Whatever X turns out to be, jedi, pastafarian, helix, etc.
Which is why I recommend that you make it a survey hosted by a third party service, not the forum, so you can have fill in the blank questions. Google does a really good survey thing, I used it to much success for one of my classes.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 25, 2014, 05:47:50 pm »

Anyone know much of anything about girl bands, particularly why are so few of them? Englishman speaking.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:08 pm »

Anyone know much of anything about girl bands, particularly why are so few of them? Englishman speaking.
you're gonna have to clarify what kind of bands you want to see with girls. Metal bands? Folk music bands? Indie rock? Pop? Cover bands? Punk, grunge, reggae? All girl bands, or bands that have at least one female member? Female vocalists? "girl bands" is a pretty broad topic.

As to why there are so few, that's hard to say why when the subject of "girl bands" remains so broad.

I can think of a bunch of bands that have at least one female member off the top of my head. All-female groups are harder, but I can still think of examples.

I'd think a reason --this is off the top of my head and purely logical assumption, no statistics or anything to back it up-- would be that girls with musical interest get into the solo pop/country/whatever branch of music, and that they're encouraged to do so due to the already common number of pop stars and country singers. Additionally, commercial music industries would likely encourage this as well because girls are easier to sexualize and sex appeal is a viable marketing and advertising tactic. *cough Katy Perry cough*

So, girls wind up with the mentality that a "solo" music career is what they're supposed to do, rather than get into a band with others and play instruments, because all the successful musical girls in the past were solo artists who didn't have any specific band group identity.

Do you want examples of female bands? You didn't ask for examples, but I could give examples.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 25, 2014, 06:12:04 pm »

Yes, please all-girl ones that we're at one time mainstream, or you believe, TRULY BELIEVE, are soul-rendingly good. I'm surprised there aren't riots in the streets to be honest to be somewhere near it (woo, that was close).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:22:11 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 25, 2014, 06:38:35 pm »

Right, examples of bands with at least one female member. A majority of the female members are vocalists.

Spoiler: off the top of my head (click to show/hide)

And, uh, that's all I can think of immediately. Could've sworn there were more than that I could think of. My favorites from that would be Garbage, Paramore, and Heart. Djerv is also good, just found them recently, their vocalist is swell. I'm not familiar with the country music genre and there's probably more bands that I've heard songs of but can't recall the names, only the songs. Probably stuff from the 70s or 80s or 90s. Also note that good music is based on opinion and my idea of "soul rendingly good" might not match your idea of "soul rendingly good"

It could be possible that girl bands aren't a huge thing because aside from female vocals, there's not much a girl could do that a guy couldn't do with an instrument, barring sexualized show acts such as Butcher Babies. Which makes girls somewhat of a niche in commercial band music. Girls with interest in music who want a career might think they have a better chance of going with a solo career, or specializing in vocals rather than an instrument, because that's what's in demand or popular and likely to get work. Classical music or backing vocals to do stuff like latin ominous chanting for movies could also be a more viable career choice for female musicians.

If you want more/better examples of commercial bands with female members you could google search for "female bands". First hit is a Wikipedia article of "all female-only bands."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:07:14 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 25, 2014, 07:55:04 pm »

The Bangles come to mind.

I may only know this since one of their songs was used as the ending theme for the latest season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 25, 2014, 08:02:41 pm »

Anybody know how I'd connect a small flexible plastic water tube to a larger PVC pipe?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »

... glue?

I mean, I don't actually know the proper way, but I'd suspect from what I've been observing the past few weeks some silicone-based grouting or glue would work, if perhaps not be the proper method of doing so. Then maybe some of that... tape, stuff. There's specialized tape for water pipes and whatnot.

Alternately, there's probably parts built for doing just that sort of connection. Local hardware store should be able to point you in the right direction.

E: Oh, though, uh. If you go that route. Make sure not to get any on your hands. Silicone adhesive doesn't like to come off skin.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:05:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »

Makes sense.  I'll look around for some kind of connector.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 638