Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686962 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2835 on: October 25, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »

Yeah, having cameras would make the heart monitors kind of redundant, and would be a lot smaller piece of equipment to carry around that provided a whole lot more data. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:53 pm »

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to get an automated system to page a person (they all have walkie-talkies, don't they?) whose heart rate is elevated than it is to get an automated system to recognize threats to the wearer or other less serious issues through a camera system. Jurassic Park presumably has hundreds of employees, too, so that requires a sizable security staff to monitor all of the camera feeds if they decide to go that route instead.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: October 25, 2016, 01:45:51 pm »

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to get an automated system to page a person (they all have walkie-talkies, don't they?) whose heart rate is elevated than it is to get an automated system to recognize threats to the wearer or other less serious issues through a camera system. Jurassic Park presumably has hundreds of employees, too, so that requires a sizable security staff to monitor all of the camera feeds if they decide to go that route instead.
Because paging someone with audio who is potentially sneaking up on a dinosaur to subdue it definitely has no chance of alerting the dinosaur to their presence and possibly getting them killed. :P

Seriously though, just depending on the person to hit their panic button or click open a communication channel with the camera for verification is going to be way more useful with less chance of unintended side effects (and assuming that you don't need to store data, only use live feeds, it would even be comparable in cost).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:12 pm »

I mean yeah, it's silly. I'm just trying to justify it for the fun of it
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: October 25, 2016, 03:58:44 pm »

What is optimal image size for this forum? By optimal I mean "Does not make other forumites' eyes bleed".
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: October 25, 2016, 03:59:37 pm »

What is optimal image size for this forum? By optimal I mean "Does not make other forumites' eyes bleed".

as large as humanly possible

If you spoiler it, it should be ok.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »

I meant without spoiler use. I know how to use spoilers for pictures.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: October 25, 2016, 04:07:49 pm »

I'd used width=800 for my xcom screenshots.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: October 25, 2016, 04:44:19 pm »

I'd used width=800 for my xcom screenshots.
This is usually pretty good, though on full-screen screenshots I'll usually bump it up to 1000, since that gives most full computers still enough space for a couple hundred pixels on each side for stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: October 25, 2016, 05:15:15 pm »

800x600 is a good baseline, yeah. 640x480 or smaller if you really want to be sure/kinder to folks reading on a mobile device. And people like me who browse zoomed in a bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »

Outside of spoilers: img width=450 gets no complaints and tends to work well with the forum software, could go 480 or so if the math works better, inside spoilers I like 750 since it prevents scrollbars and you can click to embiggen.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: October 25, 2016, 07:39:08 pm »

450/480 is going to have some problems if your images are relatively big, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: October 25, 2016, 08:18:43 pm »

Well, 480 scales down better from a 1920x1080, I try not to post images that size or larger out of spoilers.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:58 pm »

In the last couple days, when I'd go on my laptop after leaving it in sleep mode, it would often get graphical glitches for a few minutes, with glitchy horizontal lines flashing all over the screen, and sometimes turning blank for a frame. The glitches always completely stop after some time. It's never done anything like that before.
It's a ~€500 laptop I bought in August last year, that doesn't have any GPU memory - do you guys think it's a hardware issue?

EDIT: I've just tried fiddling with the screen's position, and it stopped all of a sudden. That sounds ominous. :-\
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:03:52 pm by Felissan »
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: October 26, 2016, 03:18:41 pm »

I've got a ghost line too! It's been around for a long time, and it comes and goes without a clear pattern. Sometimes I won't see it for months, sometimes it'll be there every time I boot up.

Are you on Windows 8?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 637