Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686880 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3585 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:59 pm »

As far as I know, no. There can be "co-dominant" alleles, which both manifest at the same time (e.g. a red and a white allele combine for a pink effect) but recessive alleles by definition never show if a dominant allele is present. That said, an allele can be dominant over another and recessive to another, forming a sort of chain or hierarchy of dominance, but if an allele is recessive to another and the one it is recessive to is present it will not manifest.

Also not really relevant outside of the reference but I've always found it amusing that the Snakes were made double-dominant and double-recessive for no reason and yet Solid still looks the most like Big Boss when hypothetically Solidus should be the identical one.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: April 05, 2017, 06:20:26 pm »

That's not the entire story, some physical expressions are "polygenetic" and take information from a set of multiple genes, it is these genes that allow for a degree of expression that appears recessive even in the presence of some dominant genes. The most notable of these is skin color, and is why the children of two people can have skin almost anywhere in a gradient between the two parent's skin colors.

And all of the Snakes basically look like Big Boss, they've just changed somewhat due to epigenetics and upbringing, which cannot be controlled in cloning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: April 05, 2017, 06:39:02 pm »

Ok I have to ask because this is driving me nuts.

Ok... So there are dominant and recessive genes. Typically recessive genes only manifest if coupled by other recessive genes.

Yet... it is possible for recessive genes to manifest in some way even if coupled with a dominant gene?

Just manifest in anyway.
Depends.

For the most part, they cannot by definition. If they did, they wouldn't be recessive relative to the other gene.

Devil's in the details though. You see, recessiveness is not a property of the gene; there isn't anything in the gene that says 'this be recessive'.

The dominant genes simply encode something that has an overriding function. For example, if one allele produces an enzyme with activity of 1 unit, and the other of 100 units in equal amounts, the latter will be dominant, because of all the enzyme in the cell, you won't notice the weak activity of the recessive gene's product. Mind you, transcription doesn't care, you have a 50-50 chance for which copy of the gene is being worked with.

Or, on the flipside, with dominant-inherited disorders, a mutation may lead to a protein that not only doesn't work, but actively prevents the healthy proteins from working as intended. For example the mutated, 'dead-end' filaments binding to normal ones - not only they cannot perform the job in itself, if a single mutant protein binds in one place, the whole multi-protein structure stops working, even if 99.9% of it is composed of the healthy form.

So both kinds of proteins are made in heterozygotes, which can have functional effects. A classical example is sickle cell anemia; if you have a single (recessive) copy of the anemia-causing variant, you do have the benefit of increased resistance to malaria compared to people with two healthy copies.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:38 am »

Ok here is a mystery that I've tried to look up many times before

Why is it that my lungs burn when I breathe in guacamole?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: April 06, 2017, 02:38:05 am »

Avocados contain several carcinogenic and hemotoxic compounds which harm humans who consume them, the rancid taste and burning feeling are merely the two most obvious symptoms. Double blind studies found that individuals from cultures that attempt to normalize avocado products, including guacamole, have five times the base rate of infertility and an average life expectancy 25-35 years shorter than neighboring cultures that do not.

Unfortunately this research was suppressed and mostly scrubbed from publication by dint of the avocado lobby which operates in many national and international legal bodies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: April 06, 2017, 11:30:40 am »

Ok here is a mystery that I've tried to look up many times before

Why is it that my lungs burn when I breathe in guacamole?
Probably because you're meant to eat it
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: April 06, 2017, 01:01:33 pm »

Avocados contain several carcinogenic and hemotoxic compounds which harm humans who consume them, the rancid taste and burning feeling are merely the two most obvious symptoms. Double blind studies found that individuals from cultures that attempt to normalize avocado products, including guacamole, have five times the base rate of infertility and an average life expectancy 25-35 years shorter than neighboring cultures that do not.

Unfortunately this research was suppressed and mostly scrubbed from publication by dint of the avocado lobby which operates in many national and international legal bodies.
Man, this was actually pretty believable until the last sentence.  I get that some effects take a long time to manifest, but it's just hard to trust nutrition science nowadays.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: April 06, 2017, 04:08:53 pm »

If one wished to share a track from a band in a forum thread devoted to music, and was struggling to choose between two of their favourite songs from said band, would they be better off picking one of the shortest tracks from the album (to hook in even those with short attention spans) or a 14 minute-plus track (to truly display what said band is capable of)?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: April 06, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »

Assuming equal quality, shorter track IMO.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: April 07, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »

If one wished to share a track from a band in a forum thread devoted to music, and was struggling to choose between two of their favourite songs from said band, would they be better off picking one of the shortest tracks from the album (to hook in even those with short attention spans) or a 14 minute-plus track (to truly display what said band is capable of)?
Just share both at once.  Duh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3595 on: April 08, 2017, 01:55:44 am »

https://youtu.be/DyMMEmwFQUE

What the hell do you call whatever they're doing with guitars or synth or whatever at the beginning of (and throughout) this song? I want to do that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:57:16 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: April 08, 2017, 02:11:29 pm »

What the hell do you call whatever they're doing with guitars or synth or whatever at the beginning of (and throughout) this song? I want to do that.
There is no synth listed in the credits, so my initial assumption of a Mellotron(-like?) flute is out.

So I suspect it's a guitar swell effect, I think with harmonics being played. You could do it without a pedal by fiddling with the volume knob.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3597 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:44 am »

There is no synth listed in the credits, so my initial assumption of a Mellotron(-like?) flute is out.

So I suspect it's a guitar swell effect, I think with harmonics being played. You could do it without a pedal by fiddling with the volume knob.
"Guitar swell", got it. Now that I know what this is called I can research it. Thank you!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: April 09, 2017, 11:36:01 pm »

Early in the afternoon, I found this while working in the yard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. Is natural or man-made?
2. How may it have been created?
3. If it was created by a person, what could be its purpose (artistic expression)?

I'm leaning towards man-made, but I'd like other opinions. I probably could take more pictures of the object later if it helps identification.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: April 10, 2017, 02:36:32 am »

1: If it isnt manmade I'd be very surprised
2: Dunno
3: "Hey look, I can carve a skateboarder into this plank"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright