Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691556 times)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3675 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:28 pm »

Yeah but even things like... a Bagel or a piece of bread get soggy.

&?
Both those things do contain water

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: May 08, 2017, 07:31:48 pm »

Yeah but even things like... a Bagel or a piece of bread get soggy.

&?
Both those things do contain water

But why is it soggy if there isn't any added water?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: May 08, 2017, 07:53:18 pm »

If you turned spring upside-down, what would you have? Let's say back to front is winter.
I think all the rainwater would Fall down.

All the new life would leap forth, hang for a second, and fall upward into the sky.

Edit: https://xkcd.com/417/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:56:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: May 09, 2017, 11:13:29 am »

Why does microwaving things make it "Soggy"?

I mean, all the moisture was technically already there...

I know if you wait for it to cool the food gets dry mind you.
The Stack Exchange question for this says:
Microwaves specifically heat water molecules in the food. This turns them to steam, and because the air in the microwave is actually cool, the steam then condenses. There is often not proper air circulation to move the steam away from the food. Often times the outside edges of the food will not be soggy, but rather burnt, because they receive more energy and the water can totally vaporize.

For better results when reheating food, do not reheat your food on "high" or the default power. Reheat it at a lower setting for longer time. For pizza specifically, I heat it in the microwave only to room temperature and then finish it in the toaster oven or in a pan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: May 09, 2017, 03:45:52 pm »

So is depression rampant?

Or is it that we recognize it more... AND we accept it so more people will come out and admit it?

Because I know that even as little back as the 90s there was a HUGE social sigma with psychiatric care and it was the thing "Crazy people saw"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:28 pm »

Depression is all over the place, but there is an observable trend: It's worse in urbanized nations. DALY rates for depression are through the floor for most of Africa and nowhere is higher than the United States. There are counter-examples, the lowest DALY rate is for Japan and Spain is pretty low, while Pakistan and Afghanistan are very high.

My suspicion is that your reasons are a part of it, but there's also something more. I've never read the research, but if I had to guess I'd say depression is a very "modernist" disease, that arises in humans who have been cut off and isolated from positive social contact. It's the one big benefit I cede to traditional societies, a willingness to maintain community. The smaller the communities, the more likely it is that someone will have nobody to relate to or trust in and start spiraling downwards. Even worse, being around a throng of humanity that you have no community with creates a constant threat response which can wear you down over the years. This is why schools have a way of being particularly shitty environments that spurn on suicide.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: May 09, 2017, 04:23:51 pm »

I honestly wonder if people would be better off flat out never going to public schools... as a whole...

It builds character so to speak... But a healthy environment promotes positive growth...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: May 09, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »

It's the method that's the problem, not the platform. Our schools (doesn't matter too much which country) are immensely pressuring for work that doesn't matter, surrounded by people you don't like, to achieve on tests that don't matter, to receive credentials that aren't useful.

The truest problem is that we're trying to create a verification system for something (education) that we don't have any way to truly verify, so we invented an approximation (standardized testing) and then maximized it. Ultimately to the detriment of the people in the system. I'm not kidding when I say we'd get better results in the US if we replaced the Department of Education with a bunch of hippies, because at least they'd let people go outside and fucking relax.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: May 09, 2017, 04:36:08 pm »

I mean I love to learn and I love books

But school taught me to hate those... and as a eccentric with severe anxiety problems school was hell (and I developed clinical depression in highschool... Personally I think from my Religion Classes... that one teacher was a real bastard)

And don't get me started on how it made me hate books...

Remember this video where a bunch of adults/book critics were given a children's book to analyze and they come up with paragraphs and paragraphs of deep themes and analysis from what is essentially a very simple children's book (and not one with deeper meanings).

That is my schooling experience. Everything is "deep"... Also their book choices were either garbage or "Hoity toity book appreciation" with novels that very few artsy types enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:42:10 pm by Neonivek »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: May 09, 2017, 04:43:56 pm »

Hm, strangely, religion class was the one place I shone. The teacher didn't particularly care about anything but developing skills rather than knowledge, so every lesson was an in-depth debate. This appealed to my nature, the teacher indulged my frequent attacks on his faith, and I had a ball. As this was a repeat year for me (I went from snooze mode to "holy hell I need to pull my act together mode"), I went from a half-GCSE at a low C to a full GCSE at an A*, scoring 100% on one of the tests.

GCSEs and A Levels were also the most stressful time of my life, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: May 09, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »

I was great in Religion class

But the teacher took it upon himself to mold the students and as such he tried to break everyone down and attack their identities.

I had a particularly strong identity (I didn't go through an Identity Crisis... I don't even think it exists frankly...) so he particularly attacked me for having conviction.

Plus he had a HUGE hate boner for everything not in his line of ethics... and I am an overly sensitive empathetic person.

He didn't harass me, but what he did wasn't good for my state of mind... and honestly is very likely exclusively responsible for how bad my depression got.

The PREVIOUS religion teacher just... you know... took a creative writing assignment where I talk about myself (something I always HATED doing... and still hate) and handed it into the office and got me temporarily expelled for being a dangerous psychotic student... and he did this twice.

So yeah... Lets just say I kind of started refusing to do those assignments.

---

Ohh yeah I am also Gifted Learning disabled with serious written language difficulties... I have severe procrastination likely linked to my anxiety problems and depression... and yeah :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:52:12 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 09, 2017, 07:32:44 pm »

So is depression rampant?

Or is it that we recognize it more... AND we accept it so more people will come out and admit it?
Personally, I'd probably say more or less both, heh. Identifying and acknowledging depressive symptoms has a fair amount less social stigma and more understanding, these days, so people become aware of it or acknowledge it both openly and to themselves. Don't try to hide or deny symptoms quite so much as a matter of course (sometimes for few other reasons than the consequences of doing so aren't nearly so potentially severe, in more/modern developed areas). Stuff like that.

Depression very much was a thing in traditional societies and olden times, it just... wasn't talked about, by and large. Or admitted, even (/especially) to yourself. Misidentified (something approaching intentionally, if perhaps unconsciously, if that makes any sense) often enough, too. So on, so forth. It can be interesting to look at old accounts of stuff through a lens of trying to identify symptoms of depression that are there, 'cause the stuff's littered all over the place if you're paying attention to what's being implied and what's notably not being said. Dunno if I'd be comfortable saying the rates were roughly even or whathaveyou (we don't really have the records to say, and I'm not going down the evopsych route and trying to pull unicorn blood from stone), but it pretty certainly wasn't particularly uncommon, so far as psych issues go.

Incidentally, areas or cultures that were known for alcohol (or other sorts of drug) problems is an easy start, especially if you're poking around a family line or whathaveyou. It's not a 100% correlation or anything silly like that, particularly considering the nurture passes down, too, even if there's not overt chemical incentives going on, but families that have a notably unusual incidence of alcoholism also tend to have a notable incidence of (other) symptoms of depression. They like to feed into each other, heh, so if you're looking for one, looking for the other is a good possible sign.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: May 09, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »

Having to drag the meaning out of a fiction book is dumb and was one of the least useful things in school. I don't care what you think it might mean, or how artsy it is. I read the book because I wanted to read the book (if it was mine) or because it was for class. I can tell you if I liked it or if it was good. If it was particularly good i might tell you about the plot. If you need more than that you're gonna get a lot of words that mean 'The book was about the plot, and the plot is related to this thing'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01:28 am »

Being able to see between the lines, as it were, is still a good skill to have. And looking for meaning in texts teaches you nothing if not that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: May 10, 2017, 10:52:22 am »

-snip-

I just gotta ask, because I see you constantly harping on it all over the place.

What's your beef with alcohol, Frumple? I mean, it IS a deadly toxin with dreadful addictive powers that ruins lives, but the vast majority of the time, it's just a minor toxic pleasure people indulge in.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 638