Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686955 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7260 on: May 04, 2021, 04:57:46 pm »

Aren't there websites out there that host royalty free music? I know a lot of youtubers who use those when they try to give their video a soundtrack.

I'm trying to perform the fine art of "copyright smuggling", in this case trying to get music past the YT copyright system. The absolute hardest kind of copyright smuggling. Copyright law doesn't make sense on the Internet, anyway. Using entirely royalty-free music would make it sound generic, since everyone and their mother's used it somewhere (discussed in Part 1 of that series). I want more variety.

...or, I could pull off a "copyright deadlock". Use so much music "owned" (sometimes, the claimant doesn't actually have the rights to it; a copyright troll) by different companies, that you end up being claimed by multiple companies, denying all of them ad revenue. It's not like I'm making money off my work, anyway. Not sure how'd I do it in a single video, so probably not viable.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: May 04, 2021, 06:27:35 pm »

...or, I could pull off a "copyright deadlock". Use so much music "owned" (sometimes, the claimant doesn't actually have the rights to it; a copyright troll) by different companies, that you end up being claimed by multiple companies, denying all of them ad revenue. It's not like I'm making money off my work, anyway. Not sure how'd I do it in a single video, so probably not viable.

Maybe some vaporwave could do that?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: May 04, 2021, 08:08:39 pm »

If I can ask another question while keeping the last one active, does this graph make sense?

The idea I want to communicate is that if you just directly bitcrush/dither audio down to 8-bit PCM, you'll end up losing a lot of the dynamic range, the "quiet portions" of the audio. That's shown by "no compander" being cut off by the "8-bit LPCM" line. By using μ-law, you "push" the audio upwards in amplitude to avoid this fate. Then, once you're done working with it in 8-bit PCM, you go back and "pull" the audio back down to its original level by taking the inverse transfer function.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:20 pm »

Using entirely royalty-free music would make it sound generic, since everyone and their mother's used it somewhere (discussed in Part 1 of that series). I want more variety.
There's stupid amounts of royalty free or otherwise copyright unentangled music, though. Like... thousands, tens of thousands of songs spanning pretty much every genre. There's plenty of variety there, more than a little that hasn't seen much use or reuse. Saying that using it would mean your stuff would be generic or overused is just... wrong, y'know? Wildly underestimating just how much of the stuff is floating around these days.

It'd sound generic of you used the generic sounding ones, so hunt around until you found other things :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: May 06, 2021, 01:38:22 am »

A while ago, one of you folks said that you identify us by our writing styles. For some reason, it's been stuck in my head for months now. It's one of those things that's swirled around in my Idea Pool for that time, and kept resurfacing over and over as I fished for ideas.

I'm going to leave these questions open to everyone, not just whoever said it. How would you describe my writing style? Can you imitate it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: May 06, 2021, 02:27:35 am »

Technical, but informal.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: May 06, 2021, 03:26:03 am »

Lots of questionings
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: May 06, 2021, 03:41:59 am »

Technical, but informal.

Good description.

Also serious, maybe even slightly blunt.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7268 on: May 06, 2021, 12:36:50 pm »

A while ago, one of you folks said that you identify us by our writing styles. For some reason, it's been stuck in my head for months now. It's one of those things that's swirled around in my Idea Pool for that time, and kept resurfacing over and over as I fished for ideas.

I'm going to leave these questions open to everyone, not just whoever said it. How would you describe my writing style? Can you imitate it?

It's a matter of diction, preferred idioms, consistent grammatical errors, consistent grammatical structures, and any other distinctive stylistic quirks. For instance in your case you use an unusual number of quotes, parentheses, and semicolons. You also frequently start your posts, if not your sentences in general, with an introductory phrase (which might provide context, or might just fill the space so it doesn't start abruptly) followed by the "meat" of the post. I don't think you use emoticons, either.

I don't always pay attention to those things consciously, but they're always in the back of my mind when I read a post. Usually, I can't copy the style without effort unless I'm thinking about it; but in the case of people I know well or who have noticeable "tics" I find it quite easy.

It's also just something I do. Cinder once made an entire post as an acronym and I could expand it, but I couldn't tell you why beyond that I just have all the patterns in my head and the ability to connect them.

...also this whole post is written in a probably-shoddy imitation of your style.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: May 06, 2021, 01:07:52 pm »

Who else's styles have you learned? Have you got mine?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: May 06, 2021, 03:45:38 pm »

I would like to know your analysis of my style

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: May 06, 2021, 04:58:59 pm »

It's a matter of diction, preferred idioms, consistent grammatical errors, consistent grammatical structures, and any other distinctive stylistic quirks. For instance in your case you use an unusual number of quotes, parentheses, and semicolons. You also frequently start your posts, if not your sentences in general, with an introductory phrase (which might provide context, or might just fill the space so it doesn't start abruptly) followed by the "meat" of the post. I don't think you use emoticons, either.

I don't always pay attention to those things consciously, but they're always in the back of my mind when I read a post. Usually, I can't copy the style without effort unless I'm thinking about it; but in the case of people I know well or who have noticeable "tics" I find it quite easy.

It's also just something I do. Cinder once made an entire post as an acronym and I could expand it, but I couldn't tell you why beyond that I just have all the patterns in my head and the ability to connect them.

...also this whole post is written in a probably-shoddy imitation of your style.

FAILURE.  methylatedspirit, as far as I've read, has never posted that much.  You need to cut at least one paragraph to be authentic, and the first one is far too big.
 :P
EDIT: Ok, maybe methylatedspirit's technical manuals have been a bit longer.  C-

Also, writing styles can change, both over time and as we are posting in different roles and emotional states.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: May 06, 2021, 05:50:23 pm »

(...)

First thought, right after waking up: Wait, is that me?

Second thought: I swear that's just me.

Current thought: That read like if you fed my posts into a text-generating AI, but it didn't understand why I have the textual tics that I do. I suppose that's essentially what you did, but you fed it into your own mind. I'm subvocalizing someone imitating my voice while reading it. Thanks for the early-morning laugh!

I can explain the frequent use of quotes, semicolons and parentheses. It's all about timing. I read my posts in my head, and I try to inject timing signals (i.e. punctuation) into my text so that it gets read with the timing I want. I don't know if it actually works, but it makes me happy.

The lack of emoticons... that's just me not making full use of my visual system. I still need my eyes to see the posts, obviously, but my entire communications back-end is rooted in the auditory system. I don't get faces nor body language very well (or at all, for that matter), so why would I use a system that emulates either of those? I can understand emoticons, but I can't "speak" emoticons. Makes humor and non-serious tones kinda hard to express.

FAILURE.  methylatedspirit, as far as I've read, has never posted that much.  You need to cut at least one paragraph to be authentic, and the first one is far too big.
 :P
EDIT: Ok, maybe methylatedspirit's technical manuals have been a bit longer.  C-

I want to deny it, but that's roughly correct most of the time. Goddamn it. I actually do make longer posts, like right now; depends on how much I can say about something.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:56:59 pm by methylatedspirit »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: May 06, 2021, 09:41:12 pm »

Does anyone else here play chess?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: May 06, 2021, 09:45:23 pm »

Does anyone else here play chess?
Sorry, but nobody else plays chess.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 637