Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686992 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8400 on: August 08, 2022, 05:47:20 pm »

To answer the Bay12 activity thing...

The forum I came here from, SALRE forums is in a catatonic state as we speak. No new posts are made, and its activity, while was as half as much as here, kept going until late 2020, when it stopped.

It was created in 2012, so not as ancient as this place, but still quite old. It too had its high moments, small community things, plenty of forum games...

I think it is the fate of forums like ours. As the world becomes faster, Internet clusters into fewer platforms, and people move simply on, forums die. Two people leave, one joins in.

One day, Bay12 too will enter its last age and its long story will finally be over.

If the Steam release fuels enough interest back to this forum and put more users to the system, then so be it. All who can coexist is welcome.

But if it doesn't, well, then we will share a red dwarfs fate. Slowly fizzling out, until nothing.

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: August 08, 2022, 07:19:27 pm »

It depends. If the queen of britain dies before Jifodus disconnects, then bay12 shall outlive human history, with or without members.
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: August 08, 2022, 08:20:10 pm »

Might have to give the bay12 Discord (I think there's one, I'll need to hunt around) a look at then, if only as a contingency for if this place properly dies and I want to keep up with the folks here.

I mean, I'm not surprised, I was more looking for confirmation it was happening. There's definitely something sad about seeing an old regular's profile and a "Last online 05/07/2020" or the like on it, but that's the way it goes.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: August 09, 2022, 04:40:39 am »

I have a feeling that I won't be on the internet as much as I am now when Bay12 goes down.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: August 09, 2022, 04:49:46 am »

I have a feeling that I won't be on the internet as much as I am now when Bay12 goes down.

Lol I guarantee there is still a long time for that. At least 7 years, like said. I'd say a decade, the core fizzles out the last.

And there really doesn't have to be large amounts of people for a forum to still be fun. A large majority of the time at SALRE forums twilight, there was only me and Naturegirl. And I still had fun. Even if it was lonely, kind of unnerving and definitely spooky.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: August 09, 2022, 06:25:55 am »

I don't think this is going "downhill" - maybe less populated, but I think the conversation is generally pretty robust.

Personally I prefer the more sustained conversation over the short popcorn conversation style of micro-topics, but even with that personal preference I still find this community engaging and generally pretty insightful.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: August 09, 2022, 06:31:34 am »

Yeah, I - and I expect most of the members who are 30+ - find the constant pace of Discord exhausting and the stackoverflow model of Reddit to not be conducive to conversation. I'll browse reddit's DF board occasionally just to see more screenshots of the game, and I occasionally dip into Discord rooms for direct advice or active entertainment/conversation, but generally prefer the forum model. It helps that Bay12 forums have a good crowd. I used to post around the Linus Tech Tips forums and found it toxic as fuck.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: August 09, 2022, 08:18:01 am »

In many regards forums (fori?) are the superior format.

Chat is super archaic, you got emjois but all the other formatting options aren't there, also it's realtime and spammy.

Social media feeds are toxic skinner boxes, anybody who listens inwards will notice after a few years how they breed dissatisfaction, and that's just the subjective part. When it comes to each SMP individually there is more problems:

reddit model (sort by popular items) = refresh site and we will show you the same shit oh also our site works bad so you might wanna refresh regularly.

facebook model (sort by popular feeds) = congratulations you just missed your friends' post because we decided that showing you influencers instead is better for our bottom line

I had a forum where I went when I was like 13y.o. at some point I just forgot about them... Checked them out in the wayback like less than a year ago, and they where offline for less than 5 years iirc... but not a lot had happened in the last decade. About 6-7 years ago I noticed how much modern social media plattforms suck and I had an account here because of the game... so eventually I just went to general discussions whenever I felt like opening social media. Now I open facebook like once every 3 weeks, reddit only when there is nothing left to read here.
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: August 09, 2022, 08:54:51 am »

I mean, yes. Discussion forums like this are special in the environments they support.

I'd bet the 1 lira I found in the couch that if this forum had a like/dislike system, it would be long since dead.

The biggest factor in Bay12's survival is the simple fact that things are more real than lets say, Twitter. A five paragraph mini-essay on how you disagree on a particular economic model is objectively more personal and characterising than a simple, abstract, meaningless dislike. This makes our discussions engaging. It forces them to be more engaging. If you want to give your opinion, you better be able to formulate what you are going to say and actually think about it. And be readily accepting of civil disagreements.

On twitter the discussion may last a day or two and the character limit makes it so that only the wittiest may dominate the discussion, who is not necessarily smart or knowledgable.

Or Reddit, where what you say is either high up in the sky, in Earth's core, or invisible to the naked eye. And the discussion never last for more than a week.

Or on Tiktok. Where nothing has a simdge of meaning.

You get it.

This place will most likely survive for a decade more before the activity shrieks to a halt. If the Steam release garners a wave, then maybe two decades more.

Future will tell.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: August 09, 2022, 09:06:05 am »

Agreed just an analogy I didn't think to mention earlier:

In a forum you write texts very akin to letters and essays, you have a lot of litterary headroom so to say in those formats, and to this day they are still selling collections of letters sent between historic people. Social media is more like an sms, it's much closer to spoken word.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: August 09, 2022, 12:47:55 pm »

I mean, yes. Discussion forums like this are special in the environments they support.

I'd bet the 1 lira I found in the couch that if this forum had a like/dislike system, it would be long since dead.
I'unno, spacebattles has been around since at least '01 and is going plenty strong, even after having a few splinter forums pop up (one of which, SV, is also doing pretty okay, the rest I'm aware of have... issues), though it doesn't have a dislike system, just a small selection of reaction things.

I don't think it's necessarily a like/dislike system that's a problem, just how it's implemented and allowed to be used. Moderation (from admin, or via the members) does a lot more to maintain communities than any single aspect of the design.

... with possible exception of character limits ala twitter. I think that's just the overt and inevitable death knell of discussion, if not activity, in just about every formulation you could conceive, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: August 09, 2022, 03:47:18 pm »

Yes that's a key feature of forums like this: they encourage discussion, not merely just word vomit in a 100-character pithy statement.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: August 10, 2022, 04:20:15 am »

Why would anyone want to use those crappy ass social media things when forums like this exist?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: August 10, 2022, 05:54:47 am »

Why would anyone want to use those crappy ass social media things when forums like this exist?
Beats the crap outta me!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: August 10, 2022, 06:56:26 am »

Now that Scoops is up to their Scooping, we've got everything we could need here! Endless content to keep scrolling through!
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 637