Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 129990 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #585 on: October 27, 2014, 11:03:25 am »

Did all the clones actually obey the order?

"Expanded Universe" says that Yoda's squad from that animated series (Clone Wars? the 3D one I think) disobeyed, then rebelled then got killed or something, because they're special snowflakes. Save for that handful, it was obeyed perfectly by everyone else.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2014, 11:25:36 am »

"Expanded Universe" says that Yoda's squad from that animated series (Clone Wars? the 3D one I think) disobeyed, then rebelled then got killed or something, because they're special snowflakes. Save for that handful, it was obeyed perfectly by everyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised that Yoda would be able to directly impede the orders given, since it's just a simple subspace signal [I believe?].. You'd just need a simple interruption of the moment the order is given, unless it's a continuous process.  We aren't really given any explanation into the clone psyches, though.

Easy enough for a *the* master Jedi [remember at this time Yoda was basically the strongest Jedi ever outside of the old lords of the last eras], especially since I know he'd be very aware of the second Mace Windu/Shaak Ti/Ki-Adi were betrayed. His powers of precognition probably helped him prepare in his own way.

I mean, he is Yoda. He's pretty much the only kind of Jedi outside of the old Sith that I can give leeway with silly shit because he's so mysteriously unexpanded on in his powers.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:32:19 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 27, 2014, 11:32:02 am »

I wouldn't be surprised that Yoda would be able to directly impede the orders given, since it's just a simple subspace signal [I believe?].. You'd just need a simple interruption of the moment the order is given, unless it's a continuous process. We aren't really given any explanation into the clone psyches, though.

I mean, he is Yoda. He's pretty much the only kind of Jedi outside of the old Sith that I can give leeway with silly shit because he's so mysteriously unexpanded on in his powers.

There was no interrupting of orders or Force usage, it was all regular rapport and loyalty with the clones and fortune cookie wisdom from Yoda and all that jazz, also because they had more individuality for some reason. They were all "band of brothers" and stuff. Also if you watch the movie they weren't *with* Yoda the precise moment the order was given, he was in Kashyyk and killed the generic clones he was with at the time, before getting stuffed into an escape pod by the 'Baccas.

I don't remember off the top of my head but there's something in the SW wiki that describes the event with more detail.

The show was essentially Band of Brothers IN SPACE!, and the order 66 rebelling was from some novel I think.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:11 am »

Perhaps he just had his own batch without the kill order receptor? If that was even allowed.. I mean, maybe Yoda was allowed his own personal honor guard of sorts.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 27, 2014, 11:35:01 am »

Perhaps he just had his own batch without the kill order receptor? If that was even allowed.. I mean, maybe Yoda was allowed his own personal honor guard of sorts.

Nah, they weren't Yoda's personal guard or anything, they just follow Yoda in a couple episodes, and do a bunch of other stuff with other generals in most of the rest. Remember in the movie, Yoda *was* attacked by clones when the order was given.

EDIT: Hm, I may be getting the clones wrong, Wookiepedia says there were 3 or 4 squads that explicitly disobeyed the order (just faked it and were all "must kill Jediiiii" but didn't actually do it, even helping some escape). I think one was the squad from that Republic Commando game, another was from some novel, and another was from the first batch of clones which didn't have all the free will properly pound out of them. The Order isn't so much a Mental compulsion as it is just a legal order that they're trained to obey, being the good and loyal soldiers that they've been bred to be. So while it's possible to disobey, apparently only like 1% would even consider to do so.

(I would think also that something like 98% of the Clones weren't even near any Jedi at the time, there being only a few thousand Jedis and millions of troopers), so it was all like "hey clone dudes, if you see any Jedi, make sure you kill em, ok?" and they were all like "ok, sure, whatever dude" and then spent the rest of their lives never meeting a Jedi.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:46:43 am by Sergius »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 27, 2014, 11:39:33 am »

Then that's just a stupid, stupid retcon. I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and say there was a Jedi-loyal batallion [somehow] which obviously didn't work out too well.

One thing that I don't get is how Yoda wouldn't even be partially aware of the kill order implanted into the brain of billions of soldiers he works with directed at him and all the people he's ever loved and worked with. He can detect dormant thoughts and lost things, you're saying a master of divination wouldn't be able to find extremely malicious orders planted into the brains of his soldiers? It's just all fdkhgdshgfdasjhgfjdsgfdjf the clone wars are stupid. The Jedi shouldn't even be relying on Clones as fodder, even if they're 'just clones'. I don't remember much cannon fodder in the old jedi movements, because they didn't take too kindly to sacrificing people for their cause.. I dunno, the Jedi council at the end of the republic era was a weak and twisted thing. There's a reason it was so easy to just snuff them out, they got complacent and thought they were the true power of the universe.. If anything the 'Jedi' side during the republic era became so gray that it's hard to say whether they're actually the good guys anymore. Especially when you take into account the Jedi using normal people as cannon fodder from this point onward because they let their own numbers dwindle so much during the peace they thought they had..

This is especially why I enjoy the 2nd episode of the newfangled movies. It gives some sort of an insight into how the republic was. It wasn't a noble enterprise by any means, and the Jedi were basically the whips for an anarcho capitalist system that kept people around the universe in castes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:44:29 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2014, 02:17:15 pm »

One thing that bothered me as a child reading Harry Potter was why noone thought to use Muggle weapons. I mean, they make Voldey out to be such an all knowing dark lord. Yet when he's battling Harry, it's all "Epic Intense Locked Together Grimacing". Am I the only one who thought that Voldey pulling out a Glock and popping a cap in Harry's ass would've been a much more efficient solution then all the dilly dallying with pseudo Latin and wooden sticks? Sure, Harry's fast, but I don't think he's faster than a bullet.

But then again, my biggest issue with mostly all superheros is that everyone else except our adimantium-spandex clad hero is totally useless. Always bothered me.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 27, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

Just be glad Voldemort didn't buy a nuke with alchemized gold to blast Hogwarts off the face of the planet.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 27, 2014, 03:36:59 pm »

Just be glad Voldemort didn't buy a nuke with alchemized gold to blast Hogwarts off the face of the planet.

That was along that line of though. Like, it takes place in late 90's, early 2000's. I'm sure some halfblood would've seen tanks/military combat on the TV growing up. What's preventing them from just Wingardium Leviosaing some armored vehicles out of there, and just performing a coordinated strike on Hogwarts? I'm sure the magical stone is thick and all, but I don't think it would stand up to high explosives. Any type of firearms would give any wizard an extreme advantage. Sure, Avada Kadavra is effective and all, but it's hard to summon the mental fortitude to cast a spell when your femur has been shattered in 3 places from a short burst from a hundred metres away.

Just sayin'

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:30 pm »

I remember it being a pretty big thing that "technology" couldn't work in Hogwarts. A huge generalization, probably just meaning electronics.
although i would love to see some muggleborn ask dumbledore for the wifi password
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 27, 2014, 05:25:07 pm »

What self-respecting wizard would admit that muggle tech is superior to magic in any way?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #596 on: October 27, 2014, 05:27:52 pm »

Even if Yoda did anticipate Order 66 (which I don't think he did until it was given because the clones were programmed not to be aware of their traitorous tendency or something), by the time he was aware of the mass Jedi elimination task, what could he have done to stop it? Even if he did somehow realize that all the clones had been indoctrinated this way, and he also somehow rallied all the master Jedi from all the different fronts they were scattered across during that time in the war, what could he have changed?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:48 pm »

I remember it being a pretty big thing that "technology" couldn't work in Hogwarts. A huge generalization, probably just meaning electronics.
although i would love to see some muggleborn ask dumbledore for the wifi password

It was honestly one of the WORST lines... because "Technology" is such a vague term.

I hate when I hear the barbarian character say "Ugh! I hate technology" and smashes it with an axe... I just want to go "HEY moron! That Axe is technology that was MADE by technology"

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »

About Harry Potter, I'd say that wizards and witches simply didn't think to use muggle weapons because they're generally very old-fashioned. In HP magicians basically live in a world apart from the muggles, with places like Diagon Alley, Platform 9 & 3/4 and Hogwarts hidden by all sorts of pocket dimensions and glamours. They even wear cloaks and robes in broad daylight. All of the adult characters are much, much older than Harry, and acceptance of half-bloods and muggle-borns seemed to be a very recent development (enough that Draco inherited some of Lucius' racism). So it's likely that none of them realized how effective muggle weaponry could be, especially not old farts like Dumbledore and Voldemort who lived almost completely in the wizarding world.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:00 pm »

About Harry Potter, I'd say that wizards and witches simply didn't think to use muggle weapons because they're generally very old-fashioned. In HP magicians basically live in a world apart from the muggles, with places like Diagon Alley, Platform 9 & 3/4 and Hogwarts hidden by all sorts of pocket dimensions and glamours. They even wear cloaks and robes in broad daylight. All of the adult characters are much, much older than Harry, and acceptance of half-bloods and muggle-borns seemed to be a very recent development (enough that Draco inherited some of Lucius' racism). So it's likely that none of them realized how effective muggle weaponry could be, especially not old farts like Dumbledore and Voldemort who lived almost completely in the wizarding world.

Plus, even if he did realize how effective muggle weaponry could be he probably wouldn't use it anyway due to him being racist against them
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 88