Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130334 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #705 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:15 am »

Spoiler: Radiocontrolled (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 12, 2015, 02:34:12 am »

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic here, but there is a difference between my statement and yours. Giant robots are presumably man-made, usually in a sci-fi context, thus they should to some extent obey the laws of physics. The types of robots I'm talking about are the humanoid looking ones, which really would not be possible (or pilotable).

Dragons are mythical creatures usually found in a fantasy setting/context. Such creatures can actually exist (flight and flame can both be explained with the storage of flammable, lighter-than-air gases, like methane, in a special organ), but more than that the setting can usually justify their existence one way or another. It is usually the opposite for giant mecha movies.

Which is obviously why you won't watch any movies or shows with FTL travel, telepathy, slower than light lasers, dogfighting spaceships or anything else that is entirely unrealistic and implausable. As opposed to dragons which could totally exist.

Scifi shows don't have to follow the laws of physics, especially if they're soft scifi like the ones giant robot shows usually fall into. They can bend or play with physics using 'science' in pretty much the same way that fantasy does it with magic. How many fantasy shows actually go in-depth into how dragons can exist? They generally violate the square-cube law, and several other things, just as bad as giant robots do. Yet people still accept them without batting an eye or demanding a reason on why they work. So why can't we do the same for mecha? It's just a different set of base assumptions after all. As long as your audience's suspension of disbelief remains intact then you can do pretty much whatever you want, and throw whatever made-up junk you want at them.

In conclusion: Soft scifi is a thing and nobody minds if you don't like giant robot shows because of it. But saying that you don't like them on grounds of realism without clarifying anything beyond that statement will probably earn you many sarcastic replies on the internet. Especially if you turn around and say that dragons could exist.

The point, obviously, is internal consistency. Any development of special materials that might make mechas plausible would also make them redundant. The point is not that they can no exist, the point is that in the logic of the series, they have no reason to exist.

The only reason why you would want to have a giant mech is style points, basically.

It's definitely ludicrous in a science-fiction setting; even in soft sci-fi. Being an unnecessarily topheavy design and whatnot.

I could see it working in a fantasy setting however, If the controls relied on sympathetic magic or something, making it necessary for the construct to have at least approximately the same shape as its controller.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:07 am »

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 12, 2015, 03:48:14 am »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 12, 2015, 04:00:57 am »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #711 on: January 12, 2015, 04:09:40 am »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 12, 2015, 06:49:44 am »

Also, you seem to assume that all the zombies were in a few great hordes. They were horde, surely, and crushing them was good PR material, but my guess would be that they weren't the main threat: you just had too much zombies biting civilians everywhere. If you want, the US army won every battle, but lost the war, because the guy manufacturing guns was being chewed by the guy manufacturing bombs.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 12, 2015, 07:42:13 am »

Also, you seem to assume that all the zombies were in a few great hordes. They were horde, surely, and crushing them was good PR material, but my guess would be that they weren't the main threat: you just had too much zombies biting civilians everywhere. If you want, the US army won every battle, but lost the war, because the guy manufacturing guns was being chewed by the guy manufacturing bombs.

The discussion was whether that particular scene was ridiculous or not, you are arguing something else.

Though even then, it still doesn't work. Zombies, as depicted by brooks, aren't a threat great enough to warrant the scenario he imagines. The zombie in the movie though, they were. They were also supernatural force, even more so than brooks' zombies, but actually a credible threat.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 12, 2015, 08:15:16 am »

Why? As far as I can tell, they're pretty similar, just better at piling up in gigantic zombie flesh ladders.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 12, 2015, 08:20:43 am »

Why? As far as I can tell, they're pretty similar, just better at piling up in gigantic zombie flesh ladders.

Superhuman strength, resilience and speed in the movie, next to whatever powers they had in the book (such as laughing at conservation of energy. HAH, laws of physics, what a joke.)

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 12, 2015, 09:05:12 am »

Hobbit part 3: Battle of the Five Armies

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 12, 2015, 09:28:44 am »

The only zombie movie that depicts a zombie outbreak properly, IMO, is 'Shawn of the Dead'
Spoiler alert/movie breakdown
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:51 am »

Superhuman strength, resilience and speed in the movie, next to whatever powers they had in the book (such as laughing at conservation of energy. HAH, laws of physics, what a joke.)

Ehh, those are fine in my book. I don't call them magic zombies until they start to basically become immune to things an undead creature should be... For example advanced stages of rot.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 12, 2015, 11:11:40 am »

This is a good place to criticize TV shows, right? Anyway, I've been binging on Sons of Anarchy lately, and I really enjoyed it at first, but as it went on I've come to realize that the whole show is a series of Diabolus ex Machinas, whose main purpose seems to be preserving status quo and preventing organic character development. And that's really tragic, because the characters are fairly interesting and development opportunities are constantly in sight.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 88