Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130338 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1005 on: October 21, 2015, 12:17:27 am »

His avatar is basically a partial clone of him (well, his twin). The control mechanism is some nebulous synchronization thing that people believe twins have or something across all distances, some theory that was popular in the 90s I think (amplified by whatever that bed thing had). I don't think anyone can just remote control it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:10 am »

About Avatar, a charismatic villain with a great motivation can make for a great movie.  The problem with Avatar is that the movie-makers were so sure that their anti-corporate dogma was so compelling that they missed that the villain has a better motivation than the hero.

I disagree. While wanting to bone some alien chick is a poor motivation I'd still say that being a greedy SOB, a cultural chauvinist, and a flat-earth atheist is a worse one.

His avatar is basically a partial clone of him (well, his twin). The control mechanism is some nebulous synchronization thing that people believe twins have or something across all distances, some theory that was popular in the 90s I think (amplified by whatever that bed thing had). I don't think anyone can just remote control it.

Are you sure it was the '90s and not the '60s or '70s? That sounds like a hippie/new-age/woo-woo type idea.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:28:47 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 21, 2015, 12:32:29 am »

Nah it was about some "studies" they did with twins or astronauts or storing DNA samples and watching it "react" when something happened to the owner. I think it was on TV during the 90s in a bunch of pseudoscience shows.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:28 am »

Nah it was about some "studies" they did with twins or astronauts or storing DNA samples and watching it "react" when something happened to the owner. I think it was on TV during the 90s in a bunch of pseudoscience shows.

That isn't related to Primary Perception, is it (The telepathy theory from that FBI polygraph guy who thought the plants were trying to communicate with him)?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 21, 2015, 05:42:53 am »

I think the avatars had some kind of electronic receiver on their skulls that allowed them to get the signals from the pod. At least that's what I like to think. Yeah I know that would mean plotholes like why then it works in the middle of interference heavy floating mountains and so. Well, maybe is not a your average radio signal.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:41 am »

Besides, it's not like the Sky People need Jake to thread a needle, just interfere with the body's functioning.

As for oddities that already exist, why do the Na'avi has one USB port when everything else has two?  And no explanation why the miners couldn't just tunnel.  Sure it's more expensive than strip mining, but it can't possibly be uneconomically expensive.  And it's good PR.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 21, 2015, 06:50:35 am »

Oh they definitely have a second usb port, but they don't let you plug into it until the third date.
Love, scriver~

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:49 am »

Oh they definitely have a second usb port, but they don't let you plug into it until the third date.
Watch the scene where the two of them are "mated before Eywa."  They get by just fine with one port each.

I just think it's funny that Eywa (which is basically Vaster than Emires and More Slow with animals) decided that it had had enough of the Sky People, but let the Na'vi go out and get themselves mowed down before joining the battle.  Maybe Eywa was dissappointed in the Na'vi's ability to negotiate?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 21, 2015, 09:03:28 am »

The whole thing screams genetic tampering at increasingly alarming levels. I bet in the end they'll come out with something like the giant smurfs were once like us, but they contemplated the evilness of technology and progress and corporations, so they used all those evils things to fix their mistakes and to revert back to a stone age state, after applying massive genetic engineering on planetary scale to make their primitive paradise, uploading their minds to a matrix kind of computer after their bodies die. Or maybe somebody else did that for them and we came along tampering with their experiment.

One way or another that(extreme gene tampering) would explain in lore why they are so distinct to any other animal in their environment and the really bizarre "natural" internet thing (I refuse to dignify it calling it a name). The only use I find for it is to upload the consciousnesses of dying people, and then downloading it at will on another compatible body, that would allow us to achieve a immortality of sorts.

For the rest, I say simply bomb the whole thing from orbit and resume even heavier mining operations with heavier military backup.

As for the villain being charismatic, well, he was, but I found him a rather poor idiot at strategic planning.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:05:59 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 21, 2015, 09:26:00 am »

...Oh wow I didn't realize they're *actually* making a sequel, I thought this was just theoretical discussion at first.  Huh, this could be really bad or good.  Comes down to whether they keep trying to depict the humans as villains without much justification.

Sadly I'm guessing they add in a bunch of forced corporate villainy out of nowhere, to retroactively justify Sully et all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 21, 2015, 09:35:27 am »

As for the villain being charismatic, well, he was, but I found him a rather poor idiot at strategic planning.
That he was, but not as bad as the Transformers appear to be.  They seem to have been to Earth and its Moon multiple times in the past and... forgot?

I can forgive that they misplaced Megatron in the first movie.  From what I remember of the 80's cartoon, Starscream would try to take over for Megatron at the drop of a hat... so it stands to reason he wouldn't search very hard for his missing leader.  But the rest of the series is a monumental pile of plot holes (remember that only a Prime can kill a Prime... unless it advances the plot).  Thinking any deeper about it than "oooooh, explosions" is going to make your head hurt.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:10 am »

...Oh wow I didn't realize they're *actually* making a sequel, I thought this was just theoretical discussion at first.  Huh, this could be really bad or good.  Comes down to whether they keep trying to depict the humans as villains without much justification.
Since when has a movie ever needed justification to vilify small pale invading aliens with advanced technology?
Just got back, updating:

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 21, 2015, 09:54:30 am »

Not only are they making Avatar 2, also Quaritch is coming back. Not as a zombie, I think, they've said something Eywa-related. Which will probably have a really stupid asspull explanation.

Unless his consciousness takes over the planet and tries to kill everyone in it, that would be something cool to see. Would still be really hard to explain.

My money is on he's going to be a ghost hologram of NatureNet(TM) and deliver some heavy handed philosophy to our heroes on its behalf or other new-age nonsense like that.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 21, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

Not only are they making Avatar 2, also Quaritch is coming back. Not as a zombie, I think, they've said something Eywa-related. Which will probably have a really stupid asspull explanation.
He's such an awesome soldier that Earth clones millions of him.  And they all were useless white armor.

Unless his consciousness takes over the planet and tries to kill everyone in it, that would be something cool to see. Would still be really hard to explain.
That would be entertaining.  Kind of like the "evil TARDIS" episode.  My only complaint with that episode is the same as almost every episode with the Ponds... they live through it.
Just got back, updating:

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:38 am »

Maybe he had a twin/clone too? I mean is not that far fetched. Humanity have the ability to make hybrid monstrosities*, clones would actually be far more easy.

*one of my main problems with the movie, but at least that's something my suspension of disbelief can swallow.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 88