Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130321 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1020 on: October 21, 2015, 10:38:23 am »

Does anyone else think that James Cameron's films have been getting kind of pretentious? He used to be involved with good movies like The Terminator but now it's all shit like Avatar and Titanic
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 21, 2015, 10:56:26 am »

Oh they definitely have a second usb port, but they don't let you plug into it until the third date.
Watch the scene where the two of them are "mated before Eywa."  They get by just fine with one port each.

That's the front port. I'm talking about the back port.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:20 am »

One thing that's really baffling to me in this whole discussion is how on earth are we having this same damn discussion about the same damn crappy movie every ten pages or so.

Seriously, the movie had nice visuals, a trope plot and nothing else going for it other than the big name director. Why does it stick so long afterwards is beyond me :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 21, 2015, 10:58:53 am »

One thing that's really baffling to me in this whole discussion is how on earth are we having this same damn discussion about the same damn crappy movie every ten pages or so.

Seriously, the movie had nice visuals, a trope plot and nothing else going for it other than the big name director. Why does it stick so long afterwards is beyond me :S
Do you remember that sandwich that gave you food poisoning, and where you bought it?

Avatar is the same thing, but for brains.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 21, 2015, 11:13:54 am »

Dunno, for me my white hot burning hatred over the industry bad, smelly hippies good archetype the movie slaps you on keeps me going on it.

I do like the movie, specially some of the "science" on it, I find it entertaining but also I find very entertaining dissect it and point out how stupid it is on some places.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 21, 2015, 12:19:11 pm »

That's the thing tho, it's not even that bad, it's just a completely forgettable piece of eye candy, you get those every damn year. It wasn't even a big name franchise they fucked up or something, just a mediocre movie with good visuals. Nothing extraordinary however you look at it :S
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 21, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »

It might be the fact that it's the highest grossing movie to date, ever. And that with a few little tweaks it could become worthy of it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:54 pm »

I got to admit that avatar was completely overhyped and forgettable. Hell, it gave me as much thrill as a goddamn transformers movie, thats how forgettable it was for me. It wasn't terrible, for sure, it was just "meh" in movie form, eye candy with a famous director's name attached to it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:53:44 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »

Dunno, for me my white hot burning hatred over the industry bad, smelly hippies good archetype the movie slaps you on keeps me going on it.

That's not what it's about. It's a heavyhanded allegory about native americans.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 21, 2015, 12:51:54 pm »

I got to admit that avatar was completely overhyped and forgettable. Hell, it gave me as much thrill as a goddamn transformers movie, thats how forgettable it was for me. It wasn't terrible, for sure, it was just "meh" in movie form, eye candy with a famous director's name attached to it.

This, except with Transformers I actually have a reason to be pissed because I actually liked that franchise. This couldn't even garner that much of a response.
AS - IG

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 21, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »

It doesn't help that the Na'vi are also one of the most boringly conceived aliens I've ever seen. They're so blatantly created to be ~pretty~ its not even funny. Nothing about them is bad, ugly or scary. They even made their eyes obscenely large to capitalize on our natural attraction to traces found in infantile creatures. None of the Na'vi are fat, wrinkled, short or have physical impairments of any kind, that can somehow create arrows that can pierce airships and efficiently wield really large rifles that seem to have been custom made for them and that exist because reasons.

And, of course, they're perfectly humanoid with slightly skewed proportions, which isn't bad on its own, since there have been interesting humanoid aliens in movies (star trek, predators, etc), but this combined with the other features only makes them a huge hamfisted contrived hippie mess that is a collection of cherry picked "cute" cultural bits from several real tribal societies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:58:26 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 21, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »

I never quite realized how much like Tolkein elves they are.  Physically perfect, tall, and mysterious.  With a deep and empowering spiritual connection with the world.
Good point about the big eyes too.  They're blue too, which some people find attractive *cough*

There's some trope-blending since they're more Native Americans than Tolkein elves, but they got all the sexy parts of the elves.
(I actually kinda like Tolkein-elves as a trope, even though it's a gross mockery of actual elves who are 100x cooler.  And terrifying)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 21, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »

tall, and mysterious.  With a deep and empowering spiritual connection with the world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:44:57 pm by LordBaal »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 21, 2015, 02:45:40 pm »

Niiice.
I meant to emphasize how lazy it is to throw tolkein-elves in yet another thing, especially something so big-budget and hyped.
I forgot
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 21, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »

It is. I dislike how the movie takes out it's "native-pandorians-live-as-one-with-trees-are-wiser-than-you" cock after the first 20 minutes and then just keep beating your face with it until you stop showering, wearing shoes, eating meat, let your hair long and go around protesting stupid things no one care instead of going to work.

Yes, I'm a terrible person. I know.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:49:09 pm by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 88