Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 129991 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1170 on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:50 pm »

The Da Vinci Code depicts a massive global conspiracy to protect secrets that I can't imagine more than a handful of people in the entire world caring about. I can see in my mind's eye a news report doing a 30 second report on how some higher ups in the catholic heirarchy believe that Jesus had a kid or that such and such person may be his descendant, or that they equate the holy grail with Mary Magdaline, and I can see the person watching this news report flipping to a different channel before it's over.

There's also the issue that the protagonists apparently perceive the Catholic Church as having significant temporal power, despite the action taking place hundreds of years after the end of the middle-ages.
You forgot illerminatiiiii

And Catholic antimatter bomb

CATHOLIC ANTIMATTER BOMB

That was from the sequel
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 06, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »

So Monty Python is in canon with the Da Vinci Code the whole time? Wow

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 06, 2015, 08:23:39 pm »

I assume you're referring to the fact that the gtail was found in the posession of french people we encountered at the beginning of the film and that most of the characters get arrested in the end?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 06, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »

I assume you're referring to the fact that the gtail was found in the posession of french people we encountered at the beginning of the film and that most of the characters get arrested in the end?

And the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 11, 2015, 07:16:22 am »

Nitpick from the AVP movie I'm watching right now:

"The Aztec calender was metric, so I'm guessing the pyramid reconfigures every ten minutes".

^ It's like one of those "find 10 things wrong with this picture" puzzles.

1. The aztec calender wasn't "metric"
2. there's no such thing as a "metric calender"
3. maybe you meant "base-10". But the Aztec calender wasn't that either.
4. why would a metric calender tell you anything about time of day.
5. hours and minutes aren't metric
6. they aren't base-10 either
7. the aztecs didn't have clocks.
8. we only started using steady 24 hour time in the medieval period.
9. the guy was meant to be an expert on archaelogy.
10. 10 minutes is 1/144th of a day. Which is as far away from metric as you can get. It's "100" in base 12 notation.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:20:21 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 11, 2015, 08:52:53 am »

Fun fact: there was a "metric calendar," after a fashion.  Perhaps you're thinking of a pure base-ten or decimal calendar when you think of the idea of a "metric calendar" due to the emphasis on "ten minutes" in AVP, but metricization efforts in Revolutionary France included a Republican Calendar with twelve months of thirty days each (divided into three decades of ten days), along with 5-6 complementary days because the solar year isn't quite so conveniently tied to the solar day.  It proved to be only marginally more popular than the decimalization of time, however, and was abolished by Napoleon. 

That said, saying the Aztecs had a metric calendar is like saying the ancient Romans had a Gregorian calendar; it's just so temporally displaced that it's hilarious. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:00 am »

Checkmate, Catholi-

Oh. Ninja'd. But yeah, a metric calendar did kinda exist and was created as part of the revolution's decimalization of everything.

Also, according to some quick research, the Aztec calendar was based on a series of 20-day months. So it wasn't even metric or decimal to begin with, which makes that sentence extra stupid.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 11, 2015, 09:41:34 am »

Nitpick from the AVP movie I'm watching right now:

"The Aztec calender was metric, so I'm guessing the pyramid reconfigures every ten minutes".

^ It's like one of those "find 10 things wrong with this picture" puzzles.

1. The aztec calender wasn't "metric"
3. maybe you meant "base-10". But the Aztec calender wasn't that either.
4. why would a metric calender tell you anything about time of day.
5. hours and minutes aren't metric
6. they aren't base-10 either
7. the aztecs didn't have clocks.
8. we only started using steady 24 hour time in the medieval period.
9. the guy was meant to be an expert on archaelogy.
10. 10 minutes is 1/144th of a day. Which is as far away from metric as you can get. It's "100" in base 12 notation.
Well they predicted the end of the world, so maybe they predicted the Gregorian calendar!
(mayans == aztecs rite? :P)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »

Well our calendars predict the end of the world too. The world always seems to end December 31st

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 11, 2015, 04:38:52 pm »

I don't think such proposals actual count as metric since they have factors other than 10 in them. So they're not metric in the sense that decimal time of day was. Also, they were never claimed to be part of the metric systen, which is a specific thing, not just decimalized things. It's possible to have other base-10 systems which are not metric.

Overall we kinds dropped the ball by not settling on factors of 12. Much better than 10.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:43:22 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 11, 2015, 06:37:09 pm »

My parents insisted on watching some reruns of Two and A Half Men today and I cannot for the life of me remember out what was supposed to be funny or enjoyable about that show. It's actually difficult to watch. If they edited the show to completely remove the characters Alan and Jake it might be enjoyable, but then there would be almost nothing of it left.

The weird thing is that I used to enjoy the show back when it was originally on, but in retrospect I can't figure out why
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 11, 2015, 07:27:57 pm »

It's a thing with Chuck Lorre and his work I think. It starts out pretty strong and fun, but then after a season or two it just turns into tired milking of the same three jokes/characters and it you either stop watching or you grow to loathe the show.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 13, 2015, 09:30:53 am »

Not really a nitpick, but I rented a bunch of DVDs this week and two of them had the Willhelm Scream in them. The Hobbit has a Wilhelm-screaming goblin in Moria, and I'm watching Aeon Flux right now and there's a Willhelm-screaming guard. Sound editors especially like this scream when someone falls or is flung off a high place, like off a bridge or a ledge, or flung from a vehicle such as a car, jeep, or rail cart.

Pro-tip: do not research the Willhelm scream if you don't like your suspension of disbelief to be challenged. Once you're aware of these stock sound effects everyone uses, you start noticing them all the time, which can slightly ruin enjoying the moment. I think the frequency of this particular scream has gone beyond just using stock sound effects and has become somewhat of a hollywood in-joke.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:35:24 am by Reelya »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 13, 2015, 09:34:29 am »

Not really a nitpick, but I rented a bunch of DVDs this week and two of them had the Willhelm Scream in them. The Hobbit has a Wilhelm-screaming goblin in Moria, and I'm watching Aeon Flux right now and there's a Willhelm-screaming guard. Sound editors especially like this scream when someone falls or is flung off a high place, like off a bridge or a ledge.

Pro-tip: do not research the Willhelm scream if you don't like your suspension of disbelief to be challenged. Once you're aware of these stock sound effects everyone uses, you start noticing them all the time, which can slightly ruin enjoying the moment.
You mean like the two or three laugh tracks used during the entire run of Happy Days?  I was a little kid and I noticed it.

Edit: To clarify, this was in re-runs.  I'm older than most around here, but not quite that ancient.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:36:04 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 13, 2015, 09:49:44 am »

You mean like the two or three laugh tracks used during the entire run of Happy Days?  I was a little kid and I noticed it.

Edit: To clarify, this was in re-runs.  I'm older than most around here, but not quite that ancient.
You do know that the Cunninghams have the mummified corpse of Richie's older brother stashed in the attic, right? He went upstairs in one episode, then was never seen or mentioned again.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 88